Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:25 am

Author Topic: pilot road 3  (Read 5514 times)

fazer6868

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
pilot road 3
« on: 07 January 2012, 05:10:05 pm »
as tyres are probably the most popular topic on this site just thought i would report in on my pr3's fitted to my gen 1.

mileage so far 5900.

rear 75-80% worn and front 50%

would not be surprised to exceed 8000 on rear and 12000 on the front.

cannot fault the grip, chicken strip on the rear is quarter of an inch max!

imho pr2's are fantastic tyres , pr3's even better.

will keep you posted

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: pilot road 3
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2012, 09:48:02 pm »
What were you using before the PR3's and what mileage did you get from those? I'd never get the mileage you quote but if they are lasting longer than previous generation tyres they might be worth considering.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2012, 11:28:29 pm »
I was thinking about trying either the dunlop roadsmart or sportsmarts. Has anyone tried them out?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

scousy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2012, 11:36:53 pm »
been using the roadsmarts on my Fazer and XJR1300 for a while now , can't fault them , maybe slightly less mileage than PR2's but i wouldn't swap back , the Dunlop's suit my riding with a neutral feeling whereas the Pirrelli's tend to "fall in" on bends ,just my two pennith's worth .  :thumbup

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2012, 02:36:03 pm »
Had a couple of sets of roadsmarts on the Fazer and never had any complaints, I get good mileage and they are grippy enough for me. Was out today and all bar about a 1/4 inch of the rear tyre was scrubed clean :) . That said I've had a couple of set of PR2's on my Triumph and they are a bloody good tyre too.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
PR2's were my all time fave tyre on the fazer1000 untill i tried the 023's. so far they are all as good as the pr2's in fact they probably have even more grip (much more on dry days than i could ever use even on a track day)
next set i might stick with 023's but do want to try the pr3's as the pr2 was so good

milage wise i got 4k from a pr2 and thats good for me, so far 3k on the 023 and still looking pretty good although i did have a moment yesterday comming off a roundabout. was a little damp and greasy and tyre was still cool with less than a mile ride at that point. ran a little wide on exit and on to some painted markings and got a full 2 tyre slide for a moment lol :P not realy down to the tyre much more down to me being a prat :P

fazer6868

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
I have tried roadsmarts and bt023 and both are bloody good as well.

rear tyre mileage roughly 6k for roadsmart and bt023, 7-7.5k average for pr2 and probably 8k+ on pr3.

all good tyres on grip but will probably now stick with pr3's as given i do high mileage and funds a bit tight pr3 give best combination of grip and mileage

having said that all tyres mentioned above are very good

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 02:16:53 pm »
Not tried the BT023s at all or the PR3s on a Fazer, but I am running the PR2s at the moment but have the PR3s on the Speed4.

IMHO, although total mileage is comparable, the Bridgestones that I tried in the past (namely BT010, 014, 020 and 021) are better than the Michellin equivalent for the first 1-2,000 miles, but the Michelins stay better to the canvas (or 1mm Officer).  The Bridgestones seem to me to wear front and rear in different ways (front lose the sholders and rear squares off) so the front and back of the bike want to do different things.  Something that doesn't happen on the PR2s and 3s.  Almost miss that 'new tyre turning feel' after replacing a Michelin where it was very noticable on the Bridgestones.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2012, 08:01:25 am »
Ghoti
The 023 are a sea change compared to previous tyres. You wont believe the improvement grip and mileage wise from an 021 to a 023.Its well worth trying .

I also highly rate the roadsmart These tyres do suit the fazer too. Another superb combo of grip and mileage.I just fitted a set of partworns ( my own) to my ill handling speed triple.( vagueness from front end) .The bike now feels superb.These are such  a good tyre.They steer a bit quicker than the 023s too, which maybe explains the improvement to the S3.Its a bike which is very sensitive to tyres. My fazer can go right to the end on a set of 023s without real detriment , but the S3 dont like it below about 2mm of tread.

I am sceptical that  a typical fazer thou rider could get 8 k from a rear tyre but still get similar grip. If I get 5 k I am really happy , but then again my bike does get used hard, and does do trackdays too.But I would be willing to try out the PR3s next.
cheers

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2012, 09:02:33 am »
The Bridgestones seem to me to wear front and rear in different ways (front lose the sholders and rear squares off) so the front and back of the bike want to do different things.  Something that doesn't happen on the PR2s and 3s.  Almost miss that 'new tyre turning feel' after replacing a Michelin where it was very noticable on the Bridgestones.

Good observation Ghoti. I have 023's on my FZ1 and PR2's on my FZS600. This is my first set of each tyre as I bought the FZ1 with 023's and moved to PR2's recently from Conti Road attacks on the 600.

The PR2's are such an impressive tyre. The grip is outstanding wet and dry and i've done about 3k rear and 7k front and they're still in great shape with a very even wear rate.

I haven't been massively impressed with the 023's on my FZ1 and initially was going to change to PR2's on that bike too but I think I must be mistaken due to everyone's positive feedback for them. The problem is that i'm comparing the feel of the 023's against the PR2's on completely different bikes and I haven't ever ridden any other tyre on my FZ1 so don't have a direct comparison.

I felt that grip for turn in wasn't very good and i'd be tentative but this could simply be a characteristic of a heavier bike. Knocking 2 PSI from the front has improved things but now the front tyre is getting on a bit the shoulders are wearing away as mentioned above so i'm still torn.

I feel as though I want all that good stuff i'm getting from the PR2's on my 600 put onto my FZ1 but based on all of your feedback I assume i'll be disappointed.

Would I be the only one to prefer PR2's over 023's????

Pisces

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2012, 10:50:43 am »
The Bridgestones seem to me to wear front and rear in different ways (front lose the sholders and rear squares off) so the front and back of the bike want to do different things.  Something that doesn't happen on the PR2s and 3s.  Almost miss that 'new tyre turning feel' after replacing a Michelin where it was very noticable on the Bridgestones.

Good observation Ghoti. I have 023's on my FZ1 and PR2's on my FZS600. This is my first set of each tyre as I bought the FZ1 with 023's and moved to PR2's recently from Conti Road attacks on the 600.

The PR2's are such an impressive tyre. The grip is outstanding wet and dry and i've done about 3k rear and 7k front and they're still in great shape with a very even wear rate.

I haven't been massively impressed with the 023's on my FZ1 and initially was going to change to PR2's on that bike too but I think I must be mistaken due to everyone's positive feedback for them. The problem is that i'm comparing the feel of the 023's against the PR2's on completely different bikes and I haven't ever ridden any other tyre on my FZ1 so don't have a direct comparison.

I felt that grip for turn in wasn't very good and i'd be tentative but this could simply be a characteristic of a heavier bike. Knocking 2 PSI from the front has improved things but now the front tyre is getting on a bit the shoulders are wearing away as mentioned above so i'm still torn.

I feel as though I want all that good stuff i'm getting from the PR2's on my 600 put onto my FZ1 but based on all of your feedback I assume i'll be disappointed.

Would I be the only one to prefer PR2's over 023's????
No I don't think so! Your choice of tyre is perfect. M first set of PR2's gave me 19000 km's. The 2 nd set 18500km. I noticed the PR2's to sometimes have a bit of a grip problem in the wet and Iguess that is the reason for the PR3's! Same rubber compound but different profile! Fitted a set on the 24 of Dcember and went on a long trip. They do the same job on tar in dry weather! Will test them in wet and see!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2012, 11:48:23 am »
The way a fz1 delivers power and handles is a long way from the 600 so comparison of the same Tyre is going to be tough.

I think most main stream tyres are all going to be ok, but how you ride will be the thing that makes you love or hate a tyre.
As I said the pr2 worked like a dream on the gen 1 and the 023 seems as good but I still think I prefer the feel from the pr2 for the way I ride and the bike is set up. But if the 023 gives more milage the small diff in the feel is very small price to pay.
So will be trying the pr3 next I think to try to get the best of both worlds with the feel of the pr2 and the wear rate of the 023 , but it may not be that way.
Tyres.... Such a personal thing as confidence plays as big a part in the performance as the rubber itself LOL

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2012, 12:11:17 pm »
Yep, very interesting thread though and goes to show that it's a subjective topic and we wont be able to say which tyre is 'best' as it's down to our own tastes/preferences.

I think i'll try the PR3's or 2's on the FZ1 next then and make my own mind up as to which tyres I prefer. As Ghostbiker said, most mainstream tyres are up for the job so it's just finding the one I like the most.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
No I don't think so! Your choice of tyre is perfect. M first set of PR2's gave me 19000 km's. The 2 nd set 18500km. I noticed the PR2's to sometimes have a bit of a grip problem in the wet and Iguess that is the reason for the PR3's! Same rubber compound but different profile! Fitted a set on the 24 of Dcember and went on a long trip. They do the same job on tar in dry weather! Will test them in wet and see!

From tests I've read, PR3 have better dry grip, almost the same wet grip and a bit less durability. I think that's a good tradeoff.

Metzeler Roadtec 6 anyone tried?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2012, 12:32:16 pm »

Metzeler Roadtec 6 anyone tried?

Now there is a fine example of how ONE tyre can destroy the rep of a whole brand lol
The mez 4 was SO focing leathal on the gen 1  i would never try another metzeler again. yet they tyre probably is pretty good, but i will never know as i wouldnt use them again

macmivvi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2012, 03:15:32 pm »
Mez 4 were shite but predictable shite, to compare it with the Roadtec is like comparing a TT100 with a Sportsmart.

Ive run a couple of sets of roadtecs and found them to be comfy nuetral handling never think about them tyres.
The rear does not square off ,both lasted approx 4.5k to canvas .There are no wear bars in centre of tyre and Ive been caught out twice.  No issues with grip wet or dry or white lines .
As the 6 has been replaced with the 8 they should be in the bargain buy cheap  category now.

I have similar feelings toward Michelin as the Ghostrider has to Mez , formed because I remember the Mich Hi Sides on my Nordwest and early R1, which were scary because of their unpredictability.

I tried Pilot Powers, cheap deal, on my St4s and they were a big disappointment. Really nice fast handling and grip the first 1k then the whitelineing starts as the rear squares off and  my front wore at uneven rates which was a first for me, not the usual scalloping but right side of tyre through wear bars with a couple of mil still on left. Rear was toast by 2k .
 I replaced them with a set of Diablo Stadas, Pirelli equivalent of the Roadtec 6 , and although they did nothing wrong they just didnt offer the comfort or feel/feedback of the roadtec and the front would howl on the brakes, think the rear lasted 3.5k which was also a disapointment.

I'm sure the latest generation of tyres offer incredible grip and mileage but I'm a Lidl shopper.

Currently running Pirelli Angels on the Fazer and liking them .

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2012, 10:56:54 pm »
I heard a rumour that when they were searching for WMDs in Iraq they found a wharehouse stacked to the rafters with
Mez 4's. So case proven!
Saddam WAS guilty! :)
I had a pair of 6's for a while, much better mainly because they didnt try and kill me on a daily basis :eek  Avon Storms I'm running now are even better 8)
Going to try something else next time, but will have to be good in the winterfilth cos I ride all year round :\
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2012, 01:52:31 am »
I had the storm 2's and they gripped well wet and dry but the wear rate for me was crazy. They also wore at odd shapes and the front actually wore out before the rear LOL. Deff won't use them again.
But would use avons again in the future, just not the storm 2

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2012, 05:17:12 pm »
Ref - 023 grip levels.
well I recently did  a full on track day at cadwell( 30 /9), in quite warm dry weather. The grip from the tyres was nothing short of astonishing, they balle dup just like other guys pure sports tyres...the grip level so high the bike totally ground out. I simply could not ask any more from any tyre. They did not hamper my " racing" in any way. Yet this tyre also performed superbly on a 3000 mile tour to wet cold soggy alp in July. FFs I dont see how any tyre could be an improvement ( maybe racing wets in very wet conditions)....but as an allround tyre which can do whatever you chuck at it...its the best I have used to date.
Oddly enuff when I did have my 06 FZ1 I did not particularly like how PR2s wore, becoming very wooden and lacking in feel at about 1500 miles in.
Moral of this story is to actually try a tyre out for yerself, base opinion on others experiences, sure ...but ultimately one mans meat can be another mans poison... :\