Date: 02-05-24  Time: 21:09 pm

Author Topic: EXUP cables replacement  (Read 6045 times)

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
EXUP cables replacement
« on: 03 March 2014, 10:01:38 pm »
So, having been told I have a snapped EXUP (inner) cable I've sourced a repair kit from Venhill.

I am assuming that I can replace the inner cable without having to take the whole valve assembly out, but I cannot find any documentation of the top end of the cables and how to remove them.

Any clues please ? Tips & Tricks ?

TIA, DBo.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP cables replacement
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2014, 07:14:42 am »
The cable nipple connects to the servo pulley (top left side of motor, close to the frame, looking from the rear) the same was as it does to the pulley on the valve itself.  Access is tight but common sense will find you a way in.

If you fit a nipple to one of the Venhill inner, it might be possible to thread it down the outer from the top end, saving the need to remove the cable completely. 

If you do have to remove the cable, pull it through with a length of string attached and that will give you the means to refit it along the same route.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2014, 10:12:21 pm »
Cheers!

Haynes says '1. Remove the fuel tank'.

Is that really necessary or should I just try and squeeze my fat fingers in there ?

Thanks again, DBo.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2014, 10:30:29 pm »
You need to lift and prop the tank at least.  Just as easy to get it out of the way completely, though.

Your fat fingers are in for a fun time. ;)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2014, 11:55:10 pm »
Wasn't there a thread recently regarding pattern EXUP cables that either Wemoto or Venhill produced that couldn't take the heat at the exhaust end and the nipples fell off due to the solder softening?

I'd be carefull using a repair kit that is meant for throttle/clutch cables as these probably can't take the heat at the exhaust end.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2014, 10:39:03 pm »
Ah, but the Venhill kits have instructions which say (something like) 'use the solderless nipples at the exup valve end'.

Probly on account of the solder melting. The soldered end of the cable is at the servo end.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2014, 07:30:18 pm »
Wasn't there a thread recently regarding pattern EXUP cables that either Wemoto or Venhill produced that couldn't take the heat at the exhaust end and the nipples fell off due to the solder softening?

I'd be carefull using a repair kit that is meant for throttle/clutch cables as these probably can't take the heat at the exhaust end.

It isn't the Wemoto cables. I've had a set on mine for the last year/20,000 miles and they're good. They redesigned the second batch to give a larger range of adjustment because I kept running out of adjustment taking up the slack after they'd been on for a few miles, but now I'd give them a big thumbs up. Especially since they're 80 quid cheaper than the OE cables.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2014, 07:01:17 pm »
Posted the sorry tale of my ham-fistedness in 'What did you do with your Fazer today?' but in essence I took 4 hours to do a sub-1 hour job. Knacked one of the replacement cables, but got there in the end.

Very impressed with the (Venhill) replacement kit (It comes with 2 cables, two solderless nipples, 2 allen keys and some instructions). Proof of the pudding will be how long it lasts, but so far so good.

Less impressed with Yamaha's design team who have created an instrument of torture under that frame.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2014, 12:28:16 pm »
There is a mint set of genuine exup cables going on ebay atm, the lister is in the states but the price is insanely cheep.

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2014, 12:57:10 pm »
Ive got a pair of GenII exup cables for sale if your interested?

But, these are cheaper!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fz1000-fazer-exup-leads-Yamaha-OEM-/111184785362?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19e3212fd2
« Last Edit: 14 March 2014, 01:29:42 pm by Mattsplat »

Deswilson

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2014, 04:41:31 pm »
Ive got a pair of GenII exup cables for sale if your interested?

But, these are cheaper!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fz1000-fazer-exup-leads-Yamaha-OEM-/111184785362?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19e3212fd2

Are these the same for the Gen 1 Fazer?  I've just discovered today one of my cables is badly frayed and will need replaced soon.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2014, 05:17:46 pm »
No, mate - afraid not.  Cheap because Gen II guys frequently remove the EXUP on that model as it only closes a flapper valve to cut noise at the dB test rpm. :(

Deswilson

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2014, 05:31:51 pm »
No, mate - afraid not.  Cheap because Gen II guys frequently remove the EXUP on that model as it only closes a flapper valve to cut noise at the dB test rpm. :(

Cheers Mike,  Worth a try I suppose.  I've posted a wanted thread in the for sales section in case anyone has anything.

Des