Date: 16-05-24  Time: 01:01 am

Author Topic: tingling vibs thro bars  (Read 4898 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
tingling vibs thro bars
« on: 16 November 2011, 07:56:32 pm »
Ayup chaps, now since i changed my fairing inner pans to carbon ive noticed ive got very light tingling vibs in the bars not sure if it was already this as ive only rode the bike twice since changing the bars to renthal, and at the time oberone had no large stainless weights so ive got the large ali ones and the carbon pans seem to vibrate this did not happen with the stock plastic ones however i had lined the backs of em as well, so my 1st call is going to be line the backs of the carbon pans to eliminate the rattle/vib, now when it comes to bars, ive done a tinternet search and peeps seem to fill the bars up with silicon or expanding foam any one tried this!!

Tar Dave  :D

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: tingling vibs thro bars
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2011, 11:19:08 pm »
Lots of ways to do this, one of the most effective i have seen was on a XJR where a small amount of expanding foam (JUST enough to seal the bar) squirt it as far and deep down as you can (use a straw setup) then fill the bars with fine playpit sand untill about 1/4-1/2 inch from how far your bar ends push in. then another squirt of foam to seal the sand in place. trim if needed (prob will be as its so easy to over foam, you realy do need a tiny bit. personaly i would use silicone to seal its easyer to manage) then refit the bar end. repeat for other side.

I didnt bother with any of this as i got the heavy Oberon bar ends lol and dont have much vibes on the bars at all :P

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2011, 11:53:38 pm »
CHEERS, ill give the sand ago if it dont work at least it will come out, the vibs probably not noticeable to someone else and i may be just being picky .

Tar Dave

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2011, 07:16:58 am »
Try heavier bar ends Dave.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2011, 07:38:32 am »
First call would be a carb synch.  Then ride the thing more. :)

FWIW, Dave, I've tried foam, sand, lead shot, lead wire, every snake oil solution to damping vibes through the bars (Renthals) and nothing is more effective than heavy bar ends.  I've got the Oberon stainless jobbies (now discontinued) but I suggest your best bet is to tap the Renthals to take the original Yamaha bar ends.  Those are heaviest of the lot!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2011, 07:59:11 am »
hi dave
I have full width renthals with oberon weights on. I think cos of the width of the bars it makes up for less actual bar end weight. Generally I dont get vibe problems, though I also agree with mike to check carb balance as IMO a full monty engine does vibe  a tad more than stock particularly around 4 k rpm. Hence any out of synch  is more noticeable.My speed triple by comparison is ultra smooth, the engine having better balance...maybe the FI helps here as it dont go " out of synch"..vibration is an odd topic since some vibes affect riders more than others.
Generally I find the fazer to be a bit rough at low to med revs even after carb synch, but never enuff to give me numb fingers.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2011, 09:59:27 pm »
Hi chaps, i sorted the trim panels and they no longer rattle, i filled the bars with tiger seal PU adhesive that dries like rubber i did this with the bars on but forgot about the hole in bar its not pluged, it was for the left hand switch gear and guess wat  :o  i had sealant coming out my LH switch gear  :rollin  and it fecked now i could not beleave i made this mistake so i got a replacement off the bay.

Mike have you a link for doing the carb synch!

I called the man at oberone again today he said the heavy stainless bar ends are back in stock as there been alot of peeps asking for them but, so apair is on there way to me. http://www.ducati-products.com/acatalog/Motorcycle_Small_Universal_Bar_End_Weights.html

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2011, 10:06:49 pm »
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carburetorsynchronization.html

Carb sync link
BOOKMARK pats page lol its a god send

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2011, 10:48:43 pm »
thx ghost,

whilst im doing the carbs ill do TPS now with having had the full monty should the setting be at 5k!

also any advise on what carb sync gauges to purchase.

Tar Dave

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2011, 01:19:01 am »
http://www.carbtune.com/
i Have these and think there great. easy to use and clear to read.
there are cheaper ones avail and you can even make home made ones for a fraction of the cost. plenty of walk throughs on making your own on you tube etc

But i looked at it this way, I used to get my local spanner to ballance the carbs at £40ish a time
i have used it 3 times on my bike and have lent it to 4 or 5 others local to me as well to use. so far its payed for itself a few times and will go on for many many more years im sure.

Cant remember what i did with the TPS as it was a while ago since i did mine.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2011, 08:37:13 am »
I set the TPS so the tach needle flickers between 5 & 10k rpm.  A small amount of advance over the stock setting. 

You could also do Ivan's dynamic method which is described on Pat's Site, too.  You'll end up with the ignition advanced again.  I find my way quicker and less likely to piss off the neighbours. ;)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2011, 08:47:07 am »

also any advise on what carb sync gauges to purchase.

Tar Dave
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, I know a fella with some gauges you could use who's not too far away  :D
« Last Edit: 18 November 2011, 08:49:40 am by karlo »

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2011, 10:24:06 am »
I set the TPS so the tach needle flickers between 5 & 10k rpm.  A small amount of advance over the stock setting. 

You could also do Ivan's dynamic method which is described on Pat's Site, too.  You'll end up with the ignition advanced again.  I find my way quicker and less likely to piss off the neighbours. ;)

Mike, ive got a ignition advancer fitted so would i need to be firm as to where the tacho needle ends up!!

Karlo, thanks for the offer ill let ya no .

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
With an ignition advancer fitted, set it to 5k rpm and call it good.