Date: 23-05-24  Time: 05:11 am

Author Topic: Downpipe Refurbishment  (Read 6934 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Re: Downpipe Refurbishment
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2014, 12:30:07 am »
For anyone thinking of doing this, take my advice. Don't. Ever. Let me be an example, I took the gamble and it has failed miserably. Guy who welded this exhaust is a numpty and I could tell he was taking no care or time over it whatsoever, probably thought it was a pointless task and treated it as such. I have wasted at least £40 on this and countless hours time sanding, painting and prepping. The bike has not yet even been out in the rain, after 3 or 4 medium length dry rides (okay there was some standing water road spray in a few places) this exhaust is pissing out from every available orifice. My Fazer is really not in my good books at the moment, in fact it's pissing me off. Back on the phone to motad tomorrow to beg their forgiveness and tell them what an utter goon I've been.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2014, 12:34:18 am »
Oh well, it was definitely worth a try though. Let us know how you get on with the Motads. Are you/ have you fitted the Mivv end can?

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2014, 12:45:34 am »
Yeah I mean it would have been great if they lasted even a year or 2, but I'm really disappointed that its been barely a month. Most disappointing is the sheer scale of leaking exhaust, its not just a small bit that I may have lived with. It's all over the pipe, even in places that weren't leaking before. I can only imagine that fitting them to the bike and nailing it up to 12k has put some strain on the weakened areas that I sanded, wire drill polished and jet washed and they probably blew. Should have just listened to the experienced foccers rather than trying to provide a possible alternative. Starting to add up a bit this bike...

Yeah fitted the Mivv, it looks great and sounds lovely. It sounded great with the baffle in first 2 rides, then got a bit quiter to my ears which im guessing is because the downpipes started to leak badly. So I took the baffle out and it sounds very nice and isnt too loud but I suspect it could be with the motad pipes so I'll probably end up putting it back in.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2014, 12:48:07 am »
Yamaha should have fitted ss pipes form the factory really. Show us a piccy when it's all done!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 March 2014, 08:05:22 am »
Once those collector boxes have corroded to the point of developing holes its only going to be downhill from then on. However, a set of Motads should give you another 10 years of service- its very difficult to successfully weld corroding steel. If you can pick them up from Motad in Walsall I think mine cost 149 notes without postage. BE VERY CAREFUL tightening up exhaust header nuts-but you knew that already based on past posts where some of us have overdone them to our pain & cost. At least you've developed your polishing skills!

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2014, 05:44:38 pm »
Haha, every cloud and all that!  :)  Last time they charged me £152 all in including postage so I'll ask for that again and point them to where I was quoted that figure.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2014, 06:41:00 pm »
Bad news about the pipes being shagged after the welding. Everything else is interesting though!

I'm about to fit a custom tailpipe and K&N, and then get the bike set up on a dyno - she's definitely down on mid range atm and occasionally has a hesitation higher up the revs. Worse MPG than my previous one too. I'll be doing a long trip across Europe later in the summer, so seemed a good idea. I'll get a dyno sheet and post results in a few weeks.

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
Once those collector boxes have corroded to the point of developing holes its only going to be downhill from then on. However, a set of Motads should give you another 10 years of service- its very difficult to successfully weld corroding steel. If you can pick them up from Motad in Walsall I think mine cost 149 notes without postage. BE VERY CAREFUL tightening up exhaust header nuts-but you knew that already based on past posts where some of us have overdone them to our pain & cost. At least you've developed your polishing skills!
What have I missed re the exhaust bolts and tightening?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 March 2014, 05:42:21 pm »
What have I missed re the exhaust bolts and tightening?
[/
Not saying you have missed anything but its very easy to overtighten them with resultant "o F*** it" moment when a stud snaps(usually an awkward to reach one on no 2 or 3 cylinder! :eek

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2014, 05:44:57 pm »
Ah, right, cool, thanks. Just put exhaust back on and was wondering if too right meant more liable to seize on.

Thanks for the update :-)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
Use a dab of copper grease on the stud threads & better still fit domed head stainless nuts to keep the crap out & stop them corroding on!

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 March 2014, 09:40:19 pm »
Yup, think I'll see about the domed ones, cheers :-)