Date: 18-05-24  Time: 13:45 pm

Author Topic: Just taken an mt09 for a spin.  (Read 18868 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Just taken an mt09 for a spin.
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2013, 06:49:58 pm »
Interesting link,prices!
http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2013/2014-yamaha-mt-09-fz-09-three-cylinder-naked-bike-004926.html

WTF?

"Being a sub 800cc model, the MT-09 has the potential to enter India as a CBU,"

Last ime I checked, 847cc was bigger than 800. And I thought it was a 900cc, not an 850?
The Deef's apprentice

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2013, 08:11:29 pm »
Interesting link,prices!
http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2013/2014-yamaha-mt-09-fz-09-three-cylinder-naked-bike-004926.html

WTF?

"Being a sub 800cc model, the MT-09 has the potential to enter India as a CBU,"

Last ime I checked, 847cc was bigger than 800. And I thought it was a 900cc, not an 850?

Worst article. ever

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 October 2013, 08:30:32 pm »
Your spot on there Dave, probably clever sales tactics.
As for making the FZ1 fell like a tourer, it's hard to believe, but the MT09 is very light, and there's not a lot in front of you when your sat on it! The seating position is very much Supermoto with your feet directly under you, and your hands quite close to the body, it's to be honest, a bit weird! All your weight seems to be on the front wheel, personally I was a bit reluctant to pushing it round the bends because it just felt odd.
And then there's the power delivery!!!!!

Lots of test units, affordable at the beginning... it looks like they are selling dope  :lol It have been said they are going to increase its price later, apparently.

Sterviest, do you think it is actually fast or it does it make that illusion? No offense to you, I'm not a native speaker and I'm not sure I am choosing the right words . I mean that many times even professional testers admit a bike goes faster or slower than it seems while riding it. I thought my new bike wasn't much faster than the FZS until my pillion almost fell off and other mates were left far behind. For example you say it seems the weight is on the front, but the pictures and "cycleergo" seem otherwise. Some people has said it has a short wheelbase just being impressed, but in fact it is quite long, 1440mm. I've read a test form an american magazine comparing it to the SPEED triple, the big one, and they said that the triumph was more flickable despite its weight??

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 October 2013, 09:34:47 pm »

I had a quick look through the mt09 parts catalogue, and there is a bolt on flyscreen available already. Doesn't look too bad at first glance either.

Its about the same size in real life as the picture, its tiny.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 October 2013, 09:41:39 pm »

I just wish i had more dosh saved up because i can see allot of cheap fazers coming up soon with all this mt09 frenzy going on.

Crescent always sell of bikes cheap this time of year, but they have new Fazer 1000s for £7,599

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 October 2013, 09:26:45 am »
right..... had a test ride yesterday, so glad i did, i had over an hour on it..... i thought surely this is gonna be a great bike, its had so many positive reviews, everyone loves it, get your order in now cos the next batch will be more expensive, its the bargain of the century etc etc..... i was going to put a deposit down before i had even ridden one. But i didn't gel with it at all.....the one i rode had the optional comfort seat, but 15 minutes in my arse was killing me, alleviated by putting all your weight through the pegs admittedly, but i cant ride like that all the time..... then there was the clutch, the test bike had optional "shorty levers" which made the clutch too heavy for me, but bear in mind my test ride was around london so there was a lot of gear changing.[/size]the engine.... maybe i just don't get the 3 cylinder thing, but combined with the on/off ride by wire throttle thing, it was just difficult to make smooth progress in 'a' and standard mode..... b mode was better but that dulls the engine character.... My fazer 1000 is a carburettor bike and is so smooth, comfortable, easy to ride and fast to boot..... ok the mt09 is much lighter and you deffo notice that when sitting on it, and the narrower seat make it easier to get your feet grounded for a short arse 5'6" like me, but i really didn't gel with it..... maybe a ride outside london would have made me feel better about it, but then again maybe not..... so glad i rode it cos i've just saved myself 7 grand.... and i get to keep my lc...........yipeeeeeeeeeee[/color]

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 October 2013, 09:50:52 am »
right..... had a test ride yesterday, so glad i did, i had over an hour on it..... i thought surely this is gonna be a great bike, its had so many positive reviews, everyone loves it, get your order in now cos the next batch will be more expensive, its the bargain of the century etc etc..... i was going to put a deposit down before i had even ridden one. But i didn't gel with it at all.....the one i rode had the optional comfort seat, but 15 minutes in, my arse was killing me, alleviated by putting all your weight through the pegs admittedly, but i cant ride like that all the time..... then there was the clutch, the test bike had optional "shorty levers" which made the clutch too heavy for me, but bear in mind my test ride was around london so there was a lot of gear changing.

the engine.... maybe i just don't get the 3 cylinder thing, but combined with the on/off ride by wire throttle , it was just difficult to make smooth progress in 'a' and standard mode..... b mode was better but that dulls the engine character.... My fazer 1000 is a carburettor bike and is so smooth, comfortable, easy to ride and fast to boot.....  more low down torque on the mt09 ?.. dont think so!!!...ok the mt09 is much lighter and you deffo notice that when sitting on it, and the narrower seat make it easier to get your feet grounded for a short arse 5'6" like me, but i really didn't gel with it at all..... maybe a ride outside london would have made me feel better about it, but then again maybe not..... so glad i rode it cos i've just saved myself 7 grand....yipeeeeeeeeeee
« Last Edit: 09 October 2013, 10:06:33 am by blackcabbie »

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 October 2013, 11:41:33 am »
Funny you should say that.
Saturday I was standing outside my shop having a coffee. I spotted the MT from my local dealers obviously with a test pilot aboard and you could tell from his body language he wasn't gelling with it.
The traffic was stop start and he was stopping and starting with it when he could have been jumping it. He was putting it in neutral as well every time he stopped so to me he looked like he was hating it.
Sounded pretty weedy as well !

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 October 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
locksmith me and you maybe quite similar.  I saw you were having similar thoughts about getting a mt09.  I remember riding with you on an Essex ride out back in the day with lum et all.  I was unfazedfazer on the old site
« Last Edit: 09 October 2013, 12:37:43 pm by blackcabbie »

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 October 2013, 12:38:25 pm »
Blimey that WAS a long time ago :lol

Something is telling me not to be hasty with the MT, that's why I'm not going to have a ride yet. Wait and see what the real world thinks about it.

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 October 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
I really wanted to like it.  In the ten years since I've had the fazer I thought bikes must have moved on. Familiarity is making me feel a little bored with my fazer and I really fancy a change. But mt09 not my cup of tea

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 11 October 2013, 07:25:09 pm by solorider »

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 October 2013, 09:22:02 am »
And yet again the snatchy fly by wire throttle and front end handling is mentioned - mmmmmm?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 October 2013, 09:56:17 am »
And yet again the snatchy fly by wire throttle and front end handling is mentioned - mmmmmm?

I wonder why Yamaha can't get this right first time by now? Apparently, the Ducati Hyperstrada is the same, but KTMs 990 SMT is a lot better. They must have tested the damn thing to death before putting it to production, did their test riders just think, oh well, it'll do?  :\

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 October 2013, 09:57:58 am »
Ride magazine think it's the best bike to come out of Japan since the R1 !!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 October 2013, 10:13:11 am »
But did they try it in all different scenarios? The biking press seem to have this habit of taking everything to their favourite areas and just ragging the arse off them, whilst Joe Public is going to have to live with them day in, day out, in all situations. Like I said before, I think it'd be great, as long as it doesn't have to be your only bike. I would wait until someone publishes a long term test and really uses the thing before deciding to buy.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 October 2013, 10:15:48 am »
My mates got a MV Agusta Brutale 800 (wow that's a mouthful) and that has FBY throttle issues. He was having trouble in corners. Sometimes I'd catch him up very quickly mid corner. On it's first service it was given a factory ordered remap which has improved things and he's now got more used to it.
So even loads of dosh bikes have these issues!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 October 2013, 10:19:07 am »
And yet there'll probably be a Power Commander that'll sort it before very long. So if the manufacturers of PCs can do it, why not Yamaha in the first place?
I...........just.........don't.............understand............. :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 October 2013, 04:29:20 pm »
Christ knows why they've put a mode selector on a 800cc bike that only makes 110hp, if you can't cope with that much then why buy the bike in the first place?
I don't really get the point of them at all to be honest, even when I'm on a powerful bike in the rain i want the power to come in exactly as i tell it to with my wrist, not how some computer feels it should!
That said, traction control I'm entirely in favour of  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 12 October 2013, 05:09:12 pm »
Christ knows why they've put a mode selector on a 800cc bike that only makes 110hp, if you can't cope with that much then why buy the bike in the first place?

If you aint ridden it, dont knock it! The torque delivery in A mode is incredibly sharp power delivery no matter how careful you are! Not exactly what I would call safe if you ride in all weathers. B mode is very different, and ideal for wet/slippery conditions.
And it's not really about the horsepower on this bike, it's all about the torque. Why are the Brits so obsessed with horsepower??? ::)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 October 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
Doesn't necessarily have to be all to do with horsepower - I'm sure at least one of the modes is designed for fuel economy...

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 October 2013, 10:18:49 am »
The 3 modes give the same horsepower so I've read. It will be interesting to see the dyno charts for the 3 modes.
Feedback from market research to Yamaha said riders wanted instant throttle response so they did just that. They even gave another 2 modes which isn't quite as instant. And what do some people do? Moan :lol

Ride magazine has a 40 mile test route for MPG. The KTM 1200 Adventure bike did 55.8 mpg in sports mode, 48.5 mpg in rain mode.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 October 2013, 10:32:24 am »

Bike magazine says Japan's best bike since the Fireblade too.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 October 2013, 07:13:36 pm »

Bike magazine says Japan's best bike since the Fireblade too.
That's the one! (age has crept upon me and stolen some of the rapidly depleting marbles):o:o:o:o