Date: 06-05-24  Time: 16:15 pm

Author Topic: An odd obversation  (Read 9695 times)

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
An odd obversation
« on: 17 May 2012, 09:05:27 pm »
Hi, so I left the Fazer in for a service (gonna be a sore one). Two tyres, chain and sprockets and front pads at least :(

They offered me a Deauville or a Honda PCX. I wanted the smallest one so took the PCX. Nice little bike I gotta say. Got that engine cut out at traffic lights thing too, economical.

Anyway, leaving my local town in a 30 zone past the local high school and sitting around 30-35 two cars passed me.

Now I do tend to stick quite close speed limits in the 30, 40 and 50 zones even on the Fazer but that is the first time I have been passed here. Is it because I was riding a scooter?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: An odd obversation
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 09:12:43 pm »
Is it because I was riding a scooter?

No, it's probably because the drivers are ar$eholes  :2guns

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2012, 02:47:55 pm »
I'd say yes. I nodded at a scooter rider the other day by accident, took 3 showers to feel clean again.
thou shalt not kick

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2012, 03:03:54 pm »
I'd say yes. I nodded at a scooter rider the other day by accident, took 3 showers to feel clean again.

wasn't bitfik was it  :lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2012, 04:35:45 pm »
traitor !! :eek ....you should be demoted to ..cager in training????? :o

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2012, 05:08:02 pm »
:rollin

Can be confusing though, because some of them do look like bikes when approaching from the other direction.
Must admit I have done it a couple of times as well  :o :o

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2012, 05:43:14 pm »
Whenever Ive ridden someone elses small bike YBR 125 on L-plates or a loan Vity scooter from dealer the cagers do everything possible to overtake me even though Im at or close to relevant speed limit 30/40 built-up areas-I wouldnt mind so much if I was on a national speed limit road. Strange thing is that when Im on the thou they seem to keep their distance(apart from a few idiots). Conclusion....Size matters! :rolleyes

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2012, 05:44:10 pm »
Also quiet exhausts atract old ladys, they appear from everywhere

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2012, 06:17:06 pm »
you bunch of snobs
q "is it beacuse i was on a scooter?"
a no car drivers a dicks when it comes to bikes

and as for the feeling dirty about giving a scooter the nod it is not about what you ride just as long as you RIDE

that been said most scooter rides are worse than the car drivers but not as bad as Truckers, kings of the road" more like court jesters
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2012, 10:41:05 pm »
 :pokefun  was a joke
thou shalt not kick

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2012, 11:45:00 pm »
Jeez...
The Frying Scotsman

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2012, 12:30:10 am »
anybody out there got a sense of humour for sale?? :z

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2012, 08:23:20 am »
and as for the feeling dirty about giving a scooter the nod it is not about what you ride just as long as you RIDE

that been said most scooter rides are worse than the car drivers but not as bad as Truckers, kings of the road" more like court jesters

must say on the its not what you ride just as long as you ride  - if your on a scooter and you are only wearing shorts t shirt and a helmet then yes your a pi!!ock! (yes this weather will bring out those idiots on bigger bikes too!!)
also I cant understand why go to the lengths of wearing all the protective equipment if your not gonna wear gloves!

if a scooter nods at me I will nod back but most are riden by 16/17 year olds that dont know about the nod!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Gaz73

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2012, 08:37:45 am »
I ride scooters too, Vespa's, Lambretta's & a Gilera Runner................. Not many teenagers in the circles I hang around with, but plenty of twats that adorn shorts & tee shirts or just as bad, comedy Mods with lights, mirrors hanging off everywhere lol, but we're not all like that, far from it.

If your on two wheels that's good enough for me, but makes me laugh how many bikers won't return a nod when I'm on a scooter........ yet every biker nods when I'm on the Fazer  :\
Your never too old to learn something stupid

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2012, 09:02:29 am »
on the subject of nodding, I always nod if I see another bike but I've noticed I get less nods back in the summer months compared to winter. I also never seem to get a nod from someone with L plates on so I've started to not bother.
thou shalt not kick

chr999chr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2012, 01:44:32 pm »
I have had the same in my car

I had a Subaru impreza and no one overtook me or anything that got the road rage juices flowing. But i borrowed a friends beat up corsa for a week and i was treated like dirt on the road people tail gating, cutting me up and pulling out in front of me.   

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2012, 02:51:04 pm »
On my way back from picking up my first ever bike last weekend I got 4 nods from 4 bikes in the space of 5 miles.  "I'm well in the biker's club!", thinks me.  The next guy who comes towards me I give a nod just to see a motionless head fly past....gutted!!  I almost wanted to do a U-turn and ask why he blanked me.

Never realised there was so much to it.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
Are you riding in the same position on the road as normal or are you sliding off to the gutter in shame lol
Its just a ride

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2012, 03:20:48 pm »
On my way back from picking up my first ever bike last weekend I got 4 nods from 4 bikes in the space of 5 miles.  "I'm well in the biker's club!", thinks me.  The next guy who comes towards me I give a nod just to see a motionless head fly past....gutted!!  I almost wanted to do a U-turn and ask why he blanked me.

Never realised there was so much to it.

Was it a BMW rider?  :rollin
Only asking I used to ride a Beemer and nodded but have heard from other bikers at work that they can be snobby!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2012, 03:58:08 pm »
I nod to all bikers and scooter riders (unless they are twats on scooters or big bikes wearing shorts and t-shirts).

When I started riding I remember my very first outing on my L plated CBF 125, within 5 minutes of being on the road I saw another biker and he nodded, it felt so cool to be "accepted" into this little band of brothers/sisters so I like to "spread the love".

When I started riding I remember a friend (who rides) saying to me that he nods to all riders because "we are all on 2 wheels and vunerable on the road" I've taken that onboard and followed his advice.

BUT, as I've said above I don't nod if I feel you are being a twat (yes it's subjective) but the nod is a mark of respect for a fellow rider and if you are behaving like an idiot or wearing shorts and t shirt then you don't deserve that respect IMO.

Just my 5 pence worth....
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2012, 07:44:51 pm »
Well I've got to ask, why if I'm wearing shorts and t shirt, I don't deserve any respect?
if I was a pedo, a rapist, a mugger, a wife beater, a racist, or Jedwood then you've got a point but my choice of attire?   ;)

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2012, 08:30:53 pm »
Well I've got to ask, why if I'm wearing shorts and t shirt, I don't deserve any respect?
if I was a pedo, a rapist, a mugger, a wife beater, a racist, or Jedwood then you've got a point but my choice of attire?   ;)

I think they key are the gloves. No matter how hot is the -spanish- summer, a real biker wears gloves. Most of times a guy with no equipment does not know what the weave means.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2012, 09:50:37 am »

Hmm, I've seen this before somewhere...
It's a personal choice, the same way as screaming down the cycle lane at 30 mph past a line of cars waiting for the lights is. If you feel justified in your decision and can live with the consequences then fair play to you.

When I had a scooter me and my mates only bothered with minimal safety gear and we took the piss out of my mate for wearing a propper bike jacket and me a helmet that cost over £100.
Now I'm on a bigger bike I wear full kit and it would feel odd if I didn't as I've always worn it.
thou shalt not kick

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2012, 12:39:44 pm »
Sports/ street riders nod to others (mostly) but not to scooters
Harley types nod to NO one
Gold wing types do not nod --- They salute !!!

News just in - I got a nod last night from a harel rider in a german helmet with a scull scarf and shades,.........I bout fell off........
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
Sports/ street riders nod to others (mostly) but not to scooters
Harley types nod to NO one
Gold wing types do not nod --- They salute !!!

News just in - I got a nod last night from a harel rider in a german helmet with a scull scarf and shades,.........I bout fell off........
lol on ride home saw biker stood at end of layby so gave hime a nod, and he nodded backas i went past his bike 100yds down said layby noticed his was Harley sportster I  was surprised too