Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: Broken exhaust header clamp  (Read 4923 times)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Broken exhaust header clamp
« on: 05 January 2013, 05:01:26 pm »
A few months back there was someone who'd had one of those great thick stainless steel header clamps fracture and thought at the time it was a bit odd since they're not under a huge amount of stress. Anyway, I went out to move the bike the other day and heard an odd "ting, ting"... and soon discovered the cause was exactly the same thing: a two-thirds segment of the ring was hanging from the downpipe under the engine and enjoying a new life as a musical instrument.

I managed to pull the remains off at a point where the pipe was slightly flattened and puzzled as to how to repair it since putting a replacement on would involve cutting the pipe and rewelding... I can't weld thin mild steel let alone stainless to gas-tight standards. Then I remembered I'd an old set of Motad downpipes with the clamps still present, so cut them off and made a couple of sections with enough of an open portion to get on to the tube.

Marked up the ends to lap the two halves together and got busy with hacksaw and file:

After an hour or so and a small blister I'd two half clamps that fitted together reasonably well:

They spread apart a bit when bolted on because the holes are so much larger than the header studs, but not so much that it's a problem.

It'll be interesting to see how long this bodge lasts, but I didn't fancy paying out £170+ for a new set of downpipes.
Incidentally, these are the ones Sandy Bikespares sell and the clamps are about 6mm thick compared with the old Motad pipes which have 8mm thick clamps (and hopefully of better quality steel since they're now effectively 4mm).

« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 03:08:20 pm by Fazerider »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Broken exhaust header clamp
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2013, 05:12:26 pm »
very clever. get down to the patent office quick :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2013, 05:47:09 pm »
Ingenious.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2013, 06:17:04 pm »
i got my stainless set from farjo which had 2 collars broke,i cleaned them  up and welded them back together fitted over the pipe but on the bench,upon fitting to bike one of the unrepaired ones also split so i had to repair that one as well! been fine since so fingers crossed,
your repair should do the job just fine but if not get a price for getting yours welded up as will be much cheaper than a new set of pipes!

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2013, 12:08:05 am »
Hi.

I too have a set of pipes from sandy bikespares and presently the same exhaust bracket has a crack in it.

I remembered to cut off and keep the OEM exhaust clamps when I replaced the exhaust a couple of years ago. I too thought to do the same Fazerider has done. I am glad it looks like a good fix. The down side is that you need 2 OEM exhaust clamps to effect a repair to any 1 pipe.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2013, 08:46:25 am »
nice neat repair  ;)  thanks for sharing  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....