Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:04 pm

Author Topic: Meta Alarm on y2k Gixxer 750  (Read 4508 times)

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
Meta Alarm on y2k Gixxer 750
« on: 16 October 2011, 08:36:24 pm »

Hello folks. I didn't see any area for non fazer hints and tips so if this is in the wrong place, sorry would someone mind shifting it a bit later?  Cheers

Sorry, this looks like it might be a long post (also put a thread on the gixxer forum as well)

I hope someone can help with this as i really don't have much knowledge with alarm systems and all my previous bikes have been carb'd so not much experience on FI machines, I have a haynes manual so its not all bad and i look forward to getting to grips with it

However

My new Suzi has a Meta 351 AM1G alarm/immobiliser unit fitted to it and its preventing me from starting the bike. Details on the Meta site (ie, the manual) are near useless and there's scant info online in a search, save for those folk that seem to have the same issue as me then referred to meta or installer or complete removal. Other places have said that you need to input the key/fob/red card code etc but give no instructions on how to do so, although with thieves everywhere looking for techniques, thats maybe understandable.

A brief history of me and the bike.

I bought it from my sisters neighbour. Very cheap due to the fact it was holed up for the winter and the alarm system had murdered the battery power (for the most part).

I picked it up and hooked up an old fazer battery to see if we could bump start it, which we did. So i ebay'd for a new starter (old one siezed) which i have now fitted.

All the meantime, the alarm system would beep on occasion and flash the indicators etc etc.

I fitted new battery and at some point disconnected it to do other stuff. This gave one final beep from Meta and there has been no sign of life since, either by detaching-attaching the battery or pressing the key fobs, either for a few seconds or 30 or longer. The bike will turn over if bridging the solenoid with a driver but the starter button up front is dead. All the while, there is a whirring sound from under the offside fairing, i'm assuming this is the fuel pump but i stand to be corrected

I have since removed the rear plastics to examine the wiring and theres at least 3 parts of wiring that go nowhere. 2 are plug connectors (small black one and larger white one) and the other is 2 wires that have just been snipped and left alone (even tho the heat shrinks are male and female and removeable ). AFAIK this has not stopped the bike running in the past, lest the previous owner (a fairly trustworthy fella who said he had to tidy up a lot after the previous previous guy messed up the tail light wiring fitting a aftermarket undertray) be telling me porkies.

Suffice to say the electrics are a bit of a shambles under the skin and will need some work, but i plan that in the longer term, and all i seek right now is to get it started and running at will so i can put the thing in for the MOT

The more i try and find online, the more i think i should just trace the alarm wiring back and remove it altogether, however this is absolutely the last resort as i would rather have the alarm in place and working.

Sorry for the convoluted story but i thought i should give as many details as i can remember if i am asking for assistance in getting to the root of the issue.
 If it helps i have taken some photograph of the wiring arrangements to provide a sketch on what state it is in, if you would like i can post these  cos if i'm honest, there;s some parts i just don't know that seem to be part of the stock set up but are placed very amateurishly.

Any help you folks can provide is greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Raymy
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
Re: Meta Alarm on y2k Gixxer 750
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2011, 09:18:26 pm »
Somewhere in the back of my mind I think there may be a sequence of switching on an off the igintion to clear it
The Frying Scotsman

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2011, 01:39:42 am »
I'd take the alarm off to get it through the MOT then get the messed up wiring back to standard and refit the alarm. At least then you know it's bin done properly and if it still doesn't work, get in touch with a garage or the manufacturer.
thou shalt not kick

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2011, 06:54:30 am »
No idea? but found these if they are any help???????????

Operating Instructions for Meta M351 Alarm System

PASSIVE ARMING The immobilisation circuits only will automatically arm 45 seconds after the
ignition is switched off. This is confirmed by 2 audible signals, the LED will also begin to flash.

DEACTIVATION Pressing the transmitter for 1 second will switch the complete system off. If
the ignition is not switched on, the immobilisation will automatically re-arm in 45 seconds.

ALARM AND IMMOBILISATION ARMING With the system completely disarmed, pressing the
transmitter for 1 second will arm the alarm and immobiliser. This is confirmed by 2 audible and
visual signals, the LED will begin to flash.

SELF TEST If any of the alarm trigger circuits are active during the arming period, the alarm will
confirm this by 4 x audible signals. Disarm the system, check the machine is secure and re-arm
the system. If the symptoms persist, consult your nearest approved Meta installer.

ALARM TEST During the first 25 seconds of the alarm being armed, the system can be tested by
operating any of the alarm circuits. Confirmation that the alarm has received a trigger signal is
shown by a 0.8 second activation of the alarm siren and the hazard lights.

ARMING MODE II If required, it is possible to arm the system without the inclusion of the
movement sensor. Press and hold the transmitter button, the normal arming signal will be
followed within a couple of seconds by 2 x audible signals. On resetting the system, the
movement sensor will be automatically re-activated.

LOCATION With the system disarmed, pressing the transmitter button for 6 seconds will
activate the alarm and hazard lights for 14 seconds of operation, after which the system will be
placed in the arming mode II.

ALARM WARNING If the system is triggered, on disarming there will be the normal disarm
signal followed by a very short audible signal. The LED will flash as follows :

Movement Sensor - 1 flash every 6 seconds
Switch Sensor - 2 flashes every 6 seconds
Accessory Loop/ Battery Back Up - 4 flashes
Ignition Sensor - 8 flashes

Current Consumption : armed 10mA
disarmed 6.5mA

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2011, 09:11:00 am »
Mate these can be troublesome at times are you sure you have stated to correct model?

I say that as a lot get it wrong and most get the 351 and 357 mixed up they operate differently look here http://metasystem.co.uk/index.php/msy_eng_en/MSYUK/Motorcycle-area/Operating-Instructions

From what you say I think the alarm thinks an attempt has been made to remove the battery and it's doing what it is supposed to i.e. immobilising the bike.  What you need to do is reset the unit from memory and this could be wrong its been some time since I did this, on the 351 you need the reset key, on the 357 the pin code.

Give the guys at Meta a call info on the link     
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2011, 09:13:54 am »
Oh and its very possible the internal back up battery is flat these normally recharge via the bike but if it's been allowed to deep discharge it could well be shot.
Later

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2011, 09:20:06 pm »
Thank you gents.

Got that one already Karlo, but doesn't cover when battery disconnects and system refuses to re-engage

Gnasher, that model number is straight from the installation cert. I have a red code card andd 2 key fobs, 1 integrated to key, another as a key ring, both unresponsive. Turning the ignition on, theres power to the dash, and sounds like the fuel pump whizzing away. Not 20 minutes earlier the thing was beeping and whathaveyou, but took battery off, then back on, the thing is dead.

I'll give meta a call tomorrow

Many thanks for the info chaps
Smell ones mother. Yaas!