Date: 06-05-24  Time: 20:29 pm

Author Topic: Burning oil??  (Read 3187 times)

JonathonBeedie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Burning oil??
« on: 30 April 2012, 01:20:17 pm »
Hi,

Just a quick one to see if anybody would have any ideas - with my W reg Fazer, not sure if it may be burning some oil, have had to top it off a couple of times, as the oil light (not the temp light) had come on...for a few seconds normally when I had been pulling away (ok ragging it away) some times just when up a slight incline.........

Not sure if this may be valve clearances that need checking, as they haven't been done since I've had the bike and not sure when they were last done off the top of my head prior to that......and also needs a oil and filter change as has been a year since that was done, but would it be that? It doesn't burn much oil, as when I have topped it up have put in say...50ml maybe and that has kept it going without the light coming on for a while.....

just wondering if there is any advice out there??

Cheers!!!
Jay

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Burning oil??
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2012, 01:24:13 pm »
Wouldnt say its the valves, i'd say its the piston rings failing letting oil through which is effectively being burnt.

I'd say you needed them changing the oil light coming ons not a good sign as it must be very low
my first port of call would be checking the compression levels
« Last Edit: 30 April 2012, 01:34:22 pm by Fazer Jake »

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2012, 01:33:28 pm »
Maybe the oil light comes on for only a few seconds when your pulling away is because your accelerating too hard & is making the oil sensor move?
[size=78%]also if it comes on going up a slight incline you may just need to check you have enough oil![/size]

Daft question but do you check the oil level via the sight glass under the clutch cover or just top it up when the warning light comes on?

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2012, 02:01:46 pm »
If its burning oil then there should be smoke - it would be faint blue smoke and it would smell of ... errrrrr!......Oil! :rolleyes

All engines burn a bit of oil.  As a rough guide, don't go looking for trouble unless it burns more than 0.25 litre in 1000 miles.
If it burns more than that then its time to sell up and move on.  ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2012, 02:06:21 pm »
If it's really burning significant amounts then take a look at the plugs. If a valve stem seal, piston ring or the head gasket has failed you'll probably find the evidence on a plug.
A small amount of oil getting vaporised / burnt off is nothing to worry about... perfectly normal on higher mileage engines. Just keep it topped up.
Alternatively, a leaky seal at the output shaft could account for some loss which would often go unnoticed amongst all the chain lube.

JonathonBeedie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2012, 04:08:04 pm »
Cool, cheers for all the advice, will just keep an eye on it I think and just go with the flow.....

Or maybe see what I can do on the way, i.e. a compression test and checking the plugs......it doesn't happen often, so not bothered really on checking the site level, just a little top up, it's only been twice since about november/december, and I do a lot of miles on it......may investigate further if becomes a problem, or like you say, up sticks and move on to another bike!!

There is a little smoke when it starts up in the mornings, I thought this was normal?

Cheers!!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2012, 07:32:16 pm »
if it smokes on start up,that will be worn valve guides,if you do a compression test take note of the readings and if there low squirt a little engine oil into the bore via the plug hole and do the test again, if the rings are worn the oil will temporarily seal the gap and you will get a higher reading,if the readings are the same it will be the guides....simples.............if its not using much i would`nt worry about it and just top up when needed,best not to wait for the oil light to come on before topping up,check the level through the glass site level parhaps every week and top up if needed.... ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2013, 06:12:03 pm »
my fazer used 300 ml in 600 niles on the way to assen mostly all motorway 70mph plus .no sign of smoke on start up a slight puff noticed by mates following me when accelerating hard .
is this excessive ? 51k on clock runs great plenty of power no nasty noises