Date: 19-05-24  Time: 21:12 pm

Author Topic: TPS Adjustment  (Read 875 times)

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
TPS Adjustment
« on: 30 November 2022, 06:38:28 pm »
So reading on Pats site about how to set TPS position it goes on to say at the end of a method recommended by Ivan.
This involves moving the TPS in relation to rpm. This is supposed to give a good position to reduce vibes.
Ivans/Pats write up goes on to say by using this setup method on putting the TPS into test mode it can show 10k rpm and not 5k rpm, which is the recommended position.

Can someone explain to me what the significance is of the 5k and 10k settings are and why it dosent seem to matter, infact the write up suggests its better at 10k?

Cheers

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: TPS Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2022, 09:03:07 pm »
Howdy Newbie

Yamaha shop manual shows TPS is to be set @ 5K on rev counter, motor needs to be up to temp & idle set @ 1,100rpm.
Never come across setting it to 10K.

If it's anything like Honda, it's a reset procedure so ECU can see where throttle butterflies are in a zero position ie) closed throttle, so ignition map is its optimum rpm range.
Suppose you could always try the 10K position after the correct 5K position & road test back to back on same test route.

Before doing any of the above, ensure the motor has no known gremlins.
Exup is serviced & correctly setup.
Plugs in good order & set correctly.
Carbs balanced.
Or you're just wasting your time doing any TPS position testing.  :thumbup

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2022, 11:56:23 pm »
Cheers Gaz66

Will make sure all other stuff in order before touching TPS.

Here's the article I was referring too, just curious really as to the difference in the 5k 10k positions on bike running.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2022, 05:56:52 pm »
Well everyday's a school day as they say.
I might give the TPS 10K option a whirl when winters out the way, it's costs nowt, only a few mins & a test ride, bike's in hibernation till late spring.

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2022, 01:05:47 am »
I set my TPS up the other day using the method suggested by Ivan.

The vibes around 2-3k were noticeably less, everything else much the same so I will keep it like this.

I don't know if my bikes jetting is standard or gas been Ivanised.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2022, 01:06:52 am »
If it has an Ivans MB jet kit in it, you'd know about it mate, mine rips your arms off when gas tap's opened up, got way more grunt than a stock bike, not that a stock bike is slow, but WoW what a difference, if yours hates choke on a cold start up, there's a good chance it's got a jet kit in it, which seems to a common theme, Mike aka (Falcon) knows about these jet kits more than most, so he's your main guy to consult really, from my experience, mine won't start on anything more than 1/4 choke, mostly only needs a tad of choke to get it running & then I knock choke off & just blip throttle for a while till she's warmed up enough to idle ok,  I do still think it's probly still running a bit too rich as it is tho, carbs are still set as per Ivans destructions, but I'm pretty chuffed with it as is, bit thirsty when you give it some beans, but suppose that's to be expected with all the mods she's got now. :thumbup

« Last Edit: 23 December 2022, 01:13:51 am by Gaz66 »