Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:23 pm

Author Topic: Spot lights  (Read 2120 times)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
Spot lights
« on: 26 April 2018, 01:46:47 pm »
Just got some spots for the fazer and going through different wiring ideas , is it safe to use the live feed for the headlights for power or will it draw to much power for the circuit? The spots are 30w each

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
Re: Spot lights
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 01:56:03 pm »
LED or standard bulb?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 03:02:14 pm »
i would run an extra fused wire from the battery to run them

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 04:07:43 pm »

.....along with a Relay, so the Spots will only fire up, for example when the main Headlight(s) get switched on.
Depending if you want them on only with the headlights, OR at all times, in which case, finding a switched live feed.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 04:25:22 pm »

.....along with a Relay, so the Spots will only fire up, for example when the main Headlight(s) get switched on.
Depending if you want them on only with the headlights, OR at all times, in which case, finding a switched live feed.

I never used a relay on mine at all as they are only 10 watts each, I wired mine into the side light circuit (Foxeye) so any light on means the spots are on,  ignition off all off
(side lights stay on with headlights)
One thing worth noting is that they need to be able to be switched off when the headlight test is done as a part of the MOT.
I have a male and female spade connector on mine under one of the infill panels, I can reach up under the panel to unplug it for the MOT.

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2018, 04:59:36 pm »

I never used a relay on mine at all as they are only 10 watts each, I wired mine into the side light circuit (Foxeye) so any light on means the spots are on,  ignition off all off
(side lights stay on with headlights)
One thing worth noting is that they need to be able to be switched off when the headlight test is done as a part of the MOT.
I have a male and female spade connector on mine under one of the infill panels, I can reach up under the panel to unplug it for the MOT.

:thumbup  The spots that were fitted to the Fazer I bought utilised a Relay, hence my suggestion. :)  All comes down to the owner and how they want the Spots to behave. :)
I actually removed the spots + wiring on mine, as the Spots were badly weathered and a hindrance more than anything else (very poor light output / some LEDs were blown and looked chit).

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2018, 06:31:17 pm »
Just got some spots for the fazer and going through different wiring ideas , is it safe to use the live feed for the headlights for power or will it draw to much power for the circuit? The spots are 30w each

It would be worth looking into the output of the spots, a lot of manufactures make big claims for the power output of their spots, when they are actually comparing it to the equivalent of an incandescent bulb.

The manufacturer of mine claimed they were 30 watts output. Light output is usually measured in Lumens not wattage, the power drain of mine is only 10 watts each.
Wiring then into my side light circuit the drain through that circuit now is, 2 X 5 Watts (LED's) for the side lights plus 2 X 10 Watts Cree LED's for the spots, or, 30 watt maximum drain, that is around half the drain of 1 dipped headlight, a relay is not really needed, some fit them as a precaution to protect the feed, but, if you can not pull 30 Watts through the wires on a vehicle something is drastically wrong. 

Just found these on evilBay reading the info about them below the add it say 125 watt output light power, but the power drain is only 15 watts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U7-Cree-LED-Angel-Eyes-ATV-Bike-Motorcycle-Headlight-Spot-light-Drving-Fog-Lamp/142073581283?hash=item21143ecee3:m:m8wzcZKkxOxF-5n4ApEMeHg
« Last Edit: 26 April 2018, 06:39:31 pm by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2018, 11:50:29 pm »
sorry i did say run a fused wire but this was on an assumption  that there would be a relay included
i have only fitted spots onto classic cars and they always come with relays as a package
i was thinking you were meaning running the spots on the same switched live as the high beams

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2018, 05:01:22 am »
Can't really say where mine are wired into from memory as i never fitted them myself. but i did buy a switch for them to be turned on/off fitted on the handlebars, and when the key's switched off then everything is off.
I leave the spots on all the time as daylight running lights and they don't draw anywhere near the power that the headlights do so it's less strain on the battery for my bike as my commute isn't too far.
During the darker months i put all the lights on, the spots are aimed about 25-30ft downwards so not in anyone's eyes, they're just aiding my hunt for holes in the ground ahead of me plus the triangular shaped lighting pattern means even BMW drivers can see me through their sunglasses at night.  :smokin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2018, 09:58:51 pm »
Sorry for the late reply forgot to hit notify!
Cheers for the replys, looks like side light circuit would be ok for me, my spots are the same as the evil bay link but without the angel eye , I'll go for that and fit a switch inline for mot