Date: 25-04-24  Time: 05:36 am

Author Topic: No secondary resistance  (Read 2228 times)

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
No secondary resistance
« on: 07 August 2015, 08:31:32 am »
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a project its a 1999 fzs600, I have restored the bike, the bike didnt run due to the battery in the meta m351a immobiliser died, i found a diagram on the internet to remove the alarm, Ive removed the alarm.

There is no spark, there is power on the primary coil wires but no power on the secondary coil wires, i have changed the ecu and no luck.

will this be something to do with the alarm removal or is it another problem? thanks guys!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: No secondary resistance
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2015, 10:58:02 am »

How are you measuring? You wouldn't expect to see power on the secondaries with a multimeter, there should be about 15k ohms of resistance though. Take the plug caps off and clip the end centimetre off the HT cable to get the probe onto clean copper core.
It would be a bit odd for both coils to fail at the same time. I suspect you may not have the wiring for the ignition unit back to standard after removal of the immobiliser and the sparks are still inhibited as a result.

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2015, 11:03:43 am »
Thanks for your reply, the bike goes to fire up so there is power to the ignition, all lights work, i did the light bulb test on the primary wires and the bulb lighted up, I did the light bulb test on the seconary wires and it didnt light up when i pressed the starter button, i'm not sure if it could be something to do with the pick up coil or the wiring

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2015, 11:19:30 am »
Have you changed the sparks plugs?

Try troubleshooting it first:

Download the service manual and follow all steps in section 8-6:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=8

Here are the coil ones:

« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 11:25:23 am by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2015, 11:23:03 am »
I've tried different plugs and coils, thats what got me to test the primary and secondary wires

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2015, 11:46:59 am »
I think its more to do with the alarm removal, Im not too sure about the box eye but the foxeye has an ancillary connector at the rear under the seat for an alarm to connect to, without an alarm fitted this connector needs 2 shorting links in it to allow the bike to actually fire.
I cant remember off the top of my head which pins need to be connected but I can check tonight for you

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2015, 11:51:16 am »
if i remember rightly, it was wires 6 and 12 of the alarm plug that needed to go together and 4 and 1 went together, all the others i was able to take out off the loom as these were add ons or they just went to the alarm box and led

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2015, 01:26:27 pm »
... I did the light bulb test on the seconary wires and it didnt light up when i pressed the starter button...
It wouldn't, the energy in the spark is far too small to light a bulb.

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2015, 01:34:14 pm »
ahh I see, because i've checked coils and plugs (changed them), whats the best thing to do next? test the pick up coil? could the side stand/ clutch switches have anything to do with it? I need to try and eliminate every thing. it will be something simple i hope.. just finding out what it is haha!

Olliej115

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2015, 10:08:09 pm »
i've been working on the bike tonight and I have spark, tomorrow i will put some fuel in her and hopefully she should fire up

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
What was the problem?

The ignition coils are like transformers. They have two windings electrically isolated from each other. The primary takes a fair bit of current at low voltage. The secondary puts out a very high voltage at a low current. Connecting a light bulb across it is pretty much the same as shorting it out, the winding is unable to supply the current needed by the bulb so the voltage collapses down to near zero. That's why the lightbulb test on the secondary shjowed nothing.
Malc

Old enough to know better.