Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:25 pm

Author Topic: Fazer price  (Read 3673 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer price
« on: 02 October 2012, 12:32:00 pm »
Afternoon  :)

i have a sliver and black 04 thou, 31k on the clock. Swing arm and linkages serviced once a year, and head bearings, exup 2 or 3 times a year with SS fixings. valve clearances done but all work done by me so i have no receipts (might have for the forks?). oil changed every 3.5k

Also....
fuel exhaust
belly pan
hugger
ivanised
renthals
rear GIVI rack
AIS removed
touring screen
K-tech springs
R6 rear shock
R1 gear change mod

...bike is tidy. Also have all the orignal parts.

Roughly what do you think its worth?? i love it...i really do but im thinking i want something a little bit comfier. V-strom..or Varadero..africa twin e.t.c (i bet you all just read those bikes shaking your head!)

Phil
« Last Edit: 02 October 2012, 12:41:50 pm by phil on a fazer »

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer price
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2012, 03:44:17 pm »
No idea what its worth but youd probably get more if you return it to standard and flog the good bits on ebay.
 On the new bike front Iv had a few of the bikes you are interested in. A pair of vstroms a varadero a 955i tiger and duc multistrada,definately would score the africa twin off the list as they are getting a bit long in the tooth not that fast and the seats a plank. Got to admit they still look fantastic though.
The most comfortable for me was the varadero its big and heavy but goes well for a fat lass. The early ones are 5 speed and carb the later ones 6 speed and fi. Read all sorts of horror stories that the early model are thirsty but I didnt find it too bad . The linked breaks make you lazy as i hardly ever used the front when a press on the back would provide plenty of stopping power  :) .
Would test ride as many as you can and see what you like best.
Cheers Allan

Would recommend you test ride a few and see what you like most.

phild

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2012, 04:11:03 pm »
I've tried 3 dealerships trying to trade my 2005 model for a new CBF1000F. All of them have told me my bike's in great nick, but with 33K on the clock it's too higher milage for them to make me a offer on it!!
Hope you have better luck than I've had.  ;)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2012, 04:12:33 pm »
do even the carb'd Vara's have linked brakes?

my fazer also has braided lines front and rear.

Im not bothered about speed, want torque though. just want something nice and comfy, the Fazer aint bad but not quite there  :(

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2012, 06:21:30 pm »
Yes they all come with linked brakes. Never really found it a problem takes a bit of getting used to, plenty of torque and all day comfy. The vstrom is a bit sportier than the varadero and the 955i tiger is also worth a look although the triumph is a bit more expensive to service since the parts are a fair bit dearer.
Cheers Allan

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2012, 07:43:12 am »
get a GS ...theres comfort , sophistication, torquey engine, great mpg, superb tourer ...and it handles better than a varadero. Admittedly the only issue will be getting one at a price ...
Its certainly surprised me. Its not  a direct replacement for a fazer cos the gen1 has much more power, and really appeals to a different market ...but up to 120 its as quick as most out there, but does all the above better than the fazer.
I like it cos if I dont want to taz round like an idiot , its  a great bike for chilling out, kicking back, see the sights, try out the side roads/off road too. , but will do the B road blasting so well.The fazer feels totally underused at low speeds IMO.
Until I owned one I never really understood the adventure bike concept. People mistakenly try to compare the GS as an allrounder to a fazer , but they are really very different bikes. They can overlap in use, but to me they are as different as say a fazer and a speed triple.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2012, 08:09:34 am »
Yes there is literally a bike to suit every type of rider/riding and while the fazer is an extremely good machine for most purposes there are many others that excel in particular areas. There arent many occasions when top end is important but good torque is essential @ speeds relevant to everyday conditions. I wouldnt want a bike that had to be revved like a racing 2-stroke in order to access the power band-but then im riding on the road :lol

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2012, 09:00:29 am »
get a GS ...theres comfort , sophistication, torquey engine, great mpg, superb tourer ...and it handles better than a varadero. Admittedly the only issue will be getting one at a price ...

yep..thats the prob, i would happily have a GS if they were about 3k for a mint low mileage 1200.  :D

My main prob is after riding my Tenere 660 its made me realise that my Fazer is just not comfy enough for long distance....which is a shame because i love that bike, its never let me down, looks great, and is fun to ride.

The real answer is to keep the fazer AND get a comfy / tourer but theres not way thats going to happen. 2 bikes is all i can afford and have space for.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2012, 04:38:42 pm »
What is it you find uncomfortable about the Fazer?

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2012, 08:46:24 am »
What is it you find uncomfortable about the Fazer?

ever since ive been doing more miles on my Tenere ive started to notice how comfortable bigger bikes are. my Ten has massive wide bars which are high, you sit bolt up right, really high screen and the distance between the pegs and the seat is great.

i reckon im going to keep my Fazer as its worth far more to me than what i could get in cash for it. im going to change....

The screen: got a Yam touring one but i am going to try a MRA
The bars: got 758 at mo, going to try 754 or 755s (these are higher with more of a sweep back)
Levers: i find them big and clumsy, going to get some CRG...(copies  :(  )
Seat: going to get it rebuilt / recovered. Going for foam on the rider part, Gel on the pillion part. Foam on the riders part so i can use my Airhawk.

I just wish the bike was slightly taller..with the pegs/controls a touch more forward. (im just under 6'4")

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2012, 09:52:06 am »
I have Renthal 773's on my bike which only has 49mm rise and 89mm hight from the clamp area. This can always be compensated by rolling the bars either backwards or forwards dependant on riding style. I tend to roll them towards the tank making them lower when out with my mate on his fireblade and roll them towards the clocks for a more upright position on longer ride outs.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2012, 10:08:35 am »
I put my 54 plate on E Bay with 36,000 miles , Cat D with full service record, not the prettiest bike on the planet, but boy it did the job. Found a lovely new home for it in Dorset for £1650, only sold it as I have [/size]arthritis[/color][/size] in my hip and at 5'6" and nine stone, a tad heavy, especially if parked on a camber, I couldn't always lug it upright again, so had to wheel it down to more level ground and try again[/color] :rolleyes
[/size]Bought a Gen 2 which is slightly lighter and lower and managed to write that off on M20 when tailpack I have used on R6,R1 and 54 Fazer without probs, slipped and locked up the back wheel. IMO wasn't that badly damaged, still rideable but they gave it the kiss of death yesterday, so now I am looking at a Fazer 8 with a Givi rack & top box plus Akropovic can to replace it.
[/size][/color]This is because I found Gen 2 so thirsty 40mpg as against 55mpg on R1 5PW and Gen 1 Fazer.[/font] :'(
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
Grandma,Notice theres a few low mileage(some ex-demo) Fazer 8s for sale @ present. Another bargaining point is the fact theyve just announced the upgraded 2013 model with adjustable suspension so together with the onset of autumn/winter reckon you might just get lucky! :lol

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2012, 01:45:04 pm »
Grandma,Notice theres a few low mileage(some ex-demo) Fazer 8s for sale @ present. Another bargaining point is the fact theyve just announced the upgraded 2013 model with adjustable suspension so together with the onset of autumn/winter reckon you might just get lucky! :lol
Found one at Robinsons of Rochdale ex demo 400 miles with Akropovic, delivered 30th October, then promptly went down with chest infection and too wobbly even to get it out of garage :rolleyes
[/size][/color]So would just wander out and look at it and give it a pat![/font]
[/size][/color]Managed to bludgeon GP into giving me some anti biotics and have now ridden it twice so it has covered 850 miles most of it in the wet, learning to trust Bridgestones and it now needs a wash. Waiting for son to put Scottoiler on it that was very briefly on 2009 Fazer 1000 before I chucked it down the road and wrote if off.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
Its an interesting topic Phil, since when I bought my second gen1 in 2008, I primarily wanted to make it a tourer. Up till  june 2012 when I bought the GS I did think it was just right for me. But GS has just got the ergos and equipment spot on for my idea of touring , which is keep it light , keep it chuckable but keep it comfy and easy to handle.TBH I think the fazer feels just too powerful at almost every throttle opening to match the GS.The fazer has too much power at lowish road speeds, almost a sniff of throttle equals too much acceleration for many situations. This means slower running is a work of throttle mastery or you just go faster than you want.60 mph also is at a point of the rev range where my fazer feels slightly rough .I also cannot match the GS fuel consumption, which on tour averages 55 mph off the motorway , and I even had 62 mpg one day. Its lean burn technology and superb FI.
But I do have incredible affection for my fazer and wont sell it ( I think) because of two things-
1. for the money I would clear I dont think any other bike offers so much power/ acceleration / top speed coupled with above average ergos/ comfort etc. I could not get on with any sportbike for example.
2. the fazer offers if you like the fast boys allrounder, it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It sfun to know I do have that awesome power if I want it.

For most touring and pottering about down back lanes, the GS is king , but for a blast , its gonna be the fazer , and at least I will come home not crippled up !

My opinion obviously , and each to their own. It is also possibly a symptom of getting older too !   :lol

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
If you want a modified seat I suggest you have a look at" Digger seats" there is a website or phone Digger on 01633216360. My standard seat was modified to an  1" lower and  was modified so the pillion had more support fore and aft. Brilliant for both at 6 or 8hours a day with no numb bum. A few years ago it took one week tunaround and you provide you original seat, then you have no problem with the fitting of the new model. Price was £112 inc carriage. Good Luck
Mike Lockyer

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2012, 03:32:54 pm »
Here is a picture of my Digger seat
Mike Lockyer

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2012, 03:34:18 pm »
Sorry cant get the hang of method to print picture
Mike Lockyer

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2012, 05:22:21 pm »
Phil, PM'd you with a good offer :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
I too have a digger seat, cut down. I find on very long days its a bit hard and use a airhawk for that " wafty " feeling !
But great for getting feet down on t' floor.Top bloke too.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2012, 06:17:46 pm »
I'm with Pitternator!

Now on my third Gen 1 and it must be my 7th or 8th GS (1100/1150). I was in this situation a couple of years back, had a GS and a Gen 1, but foolishly decided to change / had to sell one because I needed the funds , cant remember which now!
I've finally managed to get back to what is, so far, my best compromise option, a Gen 1 AND a GS (70k on it mind). I'm fortunate enough that I can at the moment currently afford to keep two bikes. In total, they're worth no more than about £4-£4.5k, so far less than a newer more modern bike. The GS is fantastic for all of the things that Pitternator states above, but the Gen 1 gives me that occasional speed fix / adrenaline rush that I need and cant really get from the GS. 
I've had both previously as single bikes and found myself wanting to ride the Fazer like a hooligan far too frequently (okay, all the time) and got frustrated on occasion with the lack of performance on the GS.
Prices for Gen 1's are the lowest that i've seen them for a long while now and GS's are similarly good value. Other than say a Blackbird, I dont think there are many bikes out there that offer all of the qualities that the Gen 1 offers, for the same sort of money.
You pays your money..........