Date: 30-04-24  Time: 19:45 pm

Author Topic: R1 Fork conversion issue - Lower Yoke  (Read 1293 times)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
R1 Fork conversion issue - Lower Yoke
« on: 03 January 2015, 10:22:00 pm »
Have been changing the Steering Stem bearings on my 03 with R1 Fork conversion but have encountered a problem when removing the bearing race from the Lower Yoke.

Background info, the lower yoke is an early R1 Lower yoke with a Fazer Stem, what looks like a custom spleve in the lower yoke with spacer above to ensure the bearing race is in correct postion and a custom machined upper yoke.

Problem, having tried (and failed) removing race with bearing remover I resorted to tried and tested method of cutting a slot in race with a dremel with cutting disk. At about 3/4 the way through there was a load crack and everything went loose. The race had cracked fully (as expected) and lifted from its original position. The Stem is now a very loose fit in the lower yoke and not a tight press fit or even a tight fit as expected. It seems the bearing race was pressed into position and used to hold the whole assembly tight. To me this is not an ideal solution and I was expecting the stem to be a press fit in the lower yoke.

Has anyone else with a similar R1 converstion got the same condition?

To correct this I'm going to get a machine shop to press out the existing spacer in the lower yoke, machine a new one with required tolerance and press into the lower yoke then press in the Fazer stem.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: R1 Fork conversion issue - Lower Yoke
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2015, 05:25:25 pm »
Seems like whoever did your conversion had a different approach to the lower yoke solution to any I've seen or read about.  However, I'm sure your machine shop will come up with something that is better fitting for V2.0. :)