Date: 05-05-24  Time: 19:01 pm

Author Topic: new camera,  (Read 2968 times)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
new camera,
« on: 22 February 2015, 09:21:14 pm »
hi all, I am looking for a new camera, the last one I bought cost me a fortune in batteries, I have noticed quite a few of you are keen on your pic,s, so any tips , hopefully not spend more than 150., cheers gents.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: new camera,
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2015, 08:23:39 am »
Doesn't the camera you go for depend on what kind of shots you want to take, and the situations you'll be using it in? So a little more info might be useful.

EXAMPLE: Currently using a cheap Fuji, 12mp, bit of a happy snap thing really. What I like about it is that it easily fits into my bike jacket pocket. But the shots don't have much in the way of clarity compared to the results some get. Now, I know I could go all DSLR or whatever the latest thing is, but I don't want to increase bulk significantly. I also don't want to have to get too deep into the tech side of learning to use something complicated cos I'm not looking (at this stage) to get to professional level. All I'm looking for is the next step up, still has to fit in that jacket pocket so it's handy for quick snaps, and not heavy when out in the hills. Landscape is my no. 1 interest. So I'd be grateful for any suggestions of what to go for too.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2015, 11:06:09 am by nick crisp »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2015, 09:18:59 am »
 :hijack  :lol

You crack on Nick.....we won't worry about Taylor until you're all sorted fella  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2015, 11:03:04 am »
Imagine foccin hijacking a thread like that

Is there no shame :lol

:hijack

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2015, 11:06:36 am »
Edited for you, ok?  :rolleyes

:lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2015, 04:20:37 pm »
Nick does have a point though Taylor, one of those small, flat ones that you can get at big Tesco is probably ideal for on the bike or any other outdoors stuff...all about being easy, quick & accessible.

To be fair i would say that an Apple I phone is perfect for out on the bike, you need a phone with you anyway so why not combine both & the camera quality is brilliant.....only down side is battery life which can be a bit rubbish but ive got a 12v socket on the bike so i can charge on the go.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2015, 04:30:52 pm »
Id agree that a bit more info is required Taylor.

Are you going to take pictures and share on Facebook/websites  or print 5*7 prints. If so then you don't need a top of the range camera, not that you will get one for £150.

Does it need to be pocketable? Do you just want a point and shoot or something with more controls on it?

You say it cost a fortune in batteries. Get one which comes with a rechargeable 'battery pack'. Not just AA size as I've heard that some cameras don't always work fully unless you put in the 1400 amp/hour rechargables.

I had a Canon G12 compact which I was totally satisfied with until I got it too wet on a rainy day and it died. The new version, the G16, is £335 new so a bit pricey at present.

Buying another G12 2nd hand is one option but off EBay you cant tell what the condition is like.

There is a 2nd hand one in Portsmouth for £140 and you get some  sort of warranty I guess as its from a shop.
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-G12_116232.html

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2015, 05:03:53 pm »
its only for holidays, and weekends away,  your average family photos, cruises, etc etc, I don't want to be the next david bailey, hijack away nick no problem. ;)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2015, 08:20:55 pm »
I use a Kodak easyshare C140, bit old now but the batterys that came with it took about 10 photos so replaced with sony 1700mAh Ni H/D also a 2GB card can take over a 100 pics at a time and over 1200 on the card at 8.2 megapix.
If you're paying over £100 most are rechargable but still need mem card which are cheap now to say a 1GB card cost £400 when they first came out?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2015, 10:48:32 pm »
Batteries - and costing a fortune?

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go.  And of course a device that will take common garden batteries.

7dayshop.com are a good source for rechargeable batteries ad chargers.

HovBiker

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2015, 07:37:19 am »
I wanted a small point and shoot camera to replace my cannon dslr that was just too bulky to carrry around.
ended up with a Sony cybershot dsc wx350.
Really pleased with it.fits into jeans/jacket pocket nice and has a x20 optical and x40 digital zoom which is better than the two lenses I used to lug around with my cannon.
cost me around £150 mark.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2015, 12:37:28 pm »
I wanted a small point and shoot camera to replace my cannon dslr that was just too bulky to carrry around.
ended up with a Sony cybershot dsc wx350.
Really pleased with it.fits into jeans/jacket pocket nice and has a x20 optical and x40 digital zoom which is better than the two lenses I used to lug around with my cannon.
cost me around £150 mark.

How do you find the battery life with that? This review says its good for 470 shots!
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/sony-wx350-1240071/review/2

This review gives the camera a decent writeup too as well as reviewing its competitors.
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_wx350_review/conclusion/

So its good to hear someone who has used a DSLR as well to give their opinion as I wouldn't just trust some blog review.

I've been looking around for a new compact recently. Most of the cheaper compacts have small sensors and quote large mega pixel numbers. A lot have a big zoom range which means the lens is slow (in terms of letting light in). All this could lead to poor pictures in less than perfect light. Sometimes I think a lower zoom range/better lens would be better. They are all all-auto with few manual controls which I prefer.
They all seem very small as well. When I'm out on my biking tours I quite often stop and take photos with gloves on. My Canon was fine but I know the tiny Sonys wouldn't be.
I guess you need to have a play before you buy to find out what suits.

I use this site www.dpreview.com a lot as it seems in depth and unbiased. Unfortunately they don't seem to review lower cost cameras.

I've been into photography since the 80s and learnt a lot from reading Amateur Photographer mag, so Id trust what they say.  www.amateurphotographer.co.uk
Guess what, they don't review many sub £200 compacts either.

Seems the people who have bought the camera like it overall.  There are some reports of defects though.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscwx350/user-reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscwx350/amazon-customer-reviews

« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 12:51:49 pm by Phil »

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2015, 04:58:13 pm »
thanks all :)