Date: 18-05-24  Time: 05:50 am

Author Topic: 100,000 miles on a Fazer 1000. The truth.  (Read 14208 times)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 100,000 miles on a Fazer 1000. The truth.
« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2013, 09:03:18 am »
Geniality is what we are talking about .....the bike is user friendly and ( pre full monty) quite easy to ride at any speed. Post full monty the old girl has a devilish streak and tempts one all the time to take just a bit more. But I like it that way ! Its been my most dependable bike, and  a serious contender for best bike ever.We have said it so many times, but it is a bike you can tour europe on in comfort one day and then thrash it round  a trackday the next.Such diversity...
I am running a GS at the moment alongside my fazer and its interesting that in many ways they are variations on the same theme.Both serious all rounders, both genial, very easy to ride, simple to work on, and will do high mileages. But they are in truth quite different bikes. I wouldnt dream of riding my fazer across a field, I wouldnt dream of trackdaying the GS.As such they do co exist quite well. The GS is the better  tourer , the fazer the better fast road bike.I like riding both for different reasons.BUT , not so sure I will have my GS as long as  I will my fazer .
When I had my mad as a box of frogs speed triple I looked on the fazer as my " comfort" bike after riding it...now its the GS !   :lol ..in spite of its punchy torque and go anywhere feel...it cant match the warpspeed of the fazer, the intoxicating power rush.. ...but its  a great bike for just kicking back on, taking the real back lanes .

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 February 2013, 10:00:33 pm »
Genial! That's a good word to describe a Fazer.
Interesting that you find the GS similar in certain ways - I bought a ZZR1400 last year, and it's quite similar to the Fazer too. Trackday it, tour it, commute on it, it does it all and in almost as much comfort as the Fazer.

The difference is that the ZZR is much more serious in attitude. The Fazer's a playful revvy little thing whereas the ZZR's more grown up and not to be trifled with. It does not suffer fools gladly. It is utterly effortless, though. Breathe on a control and it responds. It's almost like riding by thought alone.

I love them both, but the Fazer edges it because it's range of ability is wider. and I do think it's up there for the greatest bike ever built award.

Tulumbe

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2013, 12:27:51 am »
Feeling lucky to have one!
And really, never thought  to change , what else a man can demand from a bike?

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2013, 09:18:13 pm »
Feeling lucky to have one!
And really, never thought  to change , what else a man can demand from a bike?
Oo, I could think of a few things . . . such as semi active suspension, tyre pressure sensors, electrically adjustable handlebars that you can adjust on the move for town/country riding, cross plane crank, 200 extra cc, less weight, slightly more output from the generator and a chain that doesn't need oiling or make a mess.

Since a bike like that doesn't exist, I'll remain very happy with my Fazer, it's perfect Ivanised torque curve, steel framed talkative handling, perfect riding position, decent mpg, astonishing longevity, relatively small running costs and it's incredible versatility.

But right now, I'd give all that up for a button on the handlebars that switched the bloody weather to summertime!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2013, 10:46:54 pm »
+1 on the weather :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 March 2013, 11:06:47 pm »
Over the past couple of months, I've been considering getting shut of my Fazer and replacing it with a sports bike as most of my mates have recently bought sprots bikes as well, went out for a ride out two weeks ago, in dry conditions and nope not gonna sell it or replace it for a sports bike! I ride mine hard most of the time, I've not yet had a sports bike pass me, but when out on the ride, I fell inlove with my Fazer all over again! Yes its heavy, yes it flexes like mad when going for it, but its got more power than needed for our wonderful roads and its got bags and bags of character and it feels so part of you!  Oh and it looks damn good to boot :)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2013, 12:16:10 pm »
Yes. That flexing is a very important part of the Fazer experience I think, and between the power delivery and the talkative handling we've got essence of it's character.

The steel frame and long travel suspension gives lots of feedback and although I've never driven one, I would imagine it's like the steering on a Porsche 911. Every report I've read seems to say that it's very talkative and they're bemoaning the lack of it in the latest version with electric steering. Similarly, the stiffer frame of the more recent FZ1 Fazer does seem to have taken something away

And I'm with you on the looks. Plenty of people in the press seem to think it looks dull, but I've always thought it's a great looking bike.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2013, 12:16:44 pm by AyJay »

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

Personally, I always get the impression it's on my side ...

Great observation, AyJay ... now you make me think of it, that's one of the feelings I get about my Fazer.  :)

+ 2. I once did a 200 mile trip on my Gen 1 and i felt like crap the whole way. I was pretty ill but had to make the journey. My body was weak and my concentration kept falling. If i had of had a choice i wouldn't have gone but i swear to god the bike looked after me and pretty much got me home safe all by itself. I don't think that trip would have been possible on any other bike i have owned.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???