Date: 26-05-24  Time: 03:38 am

Author Topic: fitting bar end sliders  (Read 1010 times)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
fitting bar end sliders
« on: 02 January 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
ok,i tried to fit my bar end sliders from RG RACING (r&g) today,i undid the bolt holding the standard bar end in place,but the bung with the thread which the bolt screws into is well stuck in place within the handlebar and appears unremovable,where as the replacement bar ends need to be screwed into the end of the handlebars.
has anyone fitted after market bar ends,and did you have to remove the 'bung' from within the handle bars?
and if so,how,as the bungs have no shape to them to be removed by a spanner/socket set?
sorry to be stoopid,but im clearly missing something!!

(sorry,carnt add photo's as have no way of uploading them at the moment)

any tips chaps?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: fitting bar end sliders
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 08:29:47 pm »
I was under the impression the thread in the standard bars was welded in, as for the bar ends the originals are far better than the R&G ones imo- they are a shit load heavier which dampens vibrations through the bars and bigger than the R&G ones offering far better protection if dropping the bike!
Some say...

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2014, 09:02:30 pm »
Bungs are usually pressed in with an angled flange biting the inside of the handlebar mainly in the direction towards the bar ends. If you really need to move them the easiest way would be to screw long bolts in and hammer them deeper into the bars out of the way. Odd that the rg ones dont use oem fittings
Intentionally left blank

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 09:22:22 pm »
Yeah I would have thought they would be like the sockets inside a push bike fork head. So you could just put the bolt only in and hammer it further into the handle bar.