Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:30 am

Author Topic: Fitting "always on" indicators  (Read 1593 times)

FazerSimon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fitting "always on" indicators
« on: 17 January 2023, 12:41:41 am »
Hi All,

I'm noticing more and more new bikes that seems to be running the front amber turn signal lights as "always on" running lights.

So I am in the process of fitting new bulbs and holders to my FZS1000. I considered doing something clever with relays etc, but in the end am planning just to fit 21W/5W bulbs, and have the 5W light permanently on, being powered from a feed off the nearby existing side-lights which are part of the main headlight unit. The 21W light will continue to function as regular indicator. Both will share the same earth lead for the negative return.

Does anyone know if this is road legal?  On testing there is still a distinct flash coming from the 21W element which can be seen clearly over the always on 5W element.  It is the same solution as the Fazers's rear lights that run 5W tail-lights and 21W brake lights in the same bulb.

Any thoughts?

Fazer Simon.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2023, 12:42:14 am by FazerSimon »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting "always on" indicators
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2023, 04:32:00 am »
Have you seen those bikes which have a light that shines a green image of bike on the road ahead?  You could fit one of those.  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2023, 11:03:27 am »
Why would you want to add any ambiguity at all to which way you intend to turn - or not turn to car drivers that are already trying their best to kill you.Much better to fit some white spot lights.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2023, 11:07:00 am »
It is a standard thing on American vehicles. We use our headlights instead. May even be an MOT failure - it is definitely a construction and use issue as that states only white lights to be visible from the front except for directional indicators - by definition, if they are always on they are not your directional indicators at that point in time.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2023, 11:26:02 am »
I had a Honda CRM250AR imported from Japan that had “always on” indicators. These caused numerous negative comments, and were soon converted to the recognised set up. They also, at the time would have been an MOT failure.
There’s enough SMDSY cagers out there as it is, without giving them a helping hand. As already suggested, a decent set of spots would make you far more visible.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2023, 07:31:01 pm »
May even be an MOT failure -
Yep, afaik all forward facing lights(that arent indicators) have to be white.

FazerSimon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2023, 09:16:51 pm »
Why would you want to add any ambiguity at all to which way you intend to turn - or not turn to car drivers that are already trying their best to kill you.Much better to fit some white spot lights.

https://youtu.be/wqYLYTqcJLE?t=126

In the BMW world they are called "Cruising Lights" and are no doubt an extra cost £££ option for your GS, but this reviewer says what @fazersharp mentioned, that with just a quick glance a cager could think you are signalling to turn.  Mmmm. May have to rethink this option :-(

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2023, 11:12:49 pm »
In the BMW world they are called "Cruising Lights" and are no doubt an extra cost £££ option for your GS, but this reviewer says what @fazersharp mentioned, that with just a quick glance a cager could think you are signalling to turn.  Mmmm. May have to rethink this option :-(

Noticed lots of cars have amber side lights as standard these days, and yes they are confusing when turning. Are these a mot fail? Presumably not

« Last Edit: 19 January 2023, 11:16:30 pm by mtread »

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2023, 04:48:51 pm »
The 2022-on Honda CB500X has them, stupid idea IMHO, and we'll see if they are legal at MOT time!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2023, 07:08:40 am »
I nearly pulled out on a car the other day thinking it was turning left, then i suddenly remembered this post so held back as i had only quickly glanced at it, then when i looked again sure enough both amber lights were on as well as their headlights too.
Really is a daft idea, and quite deceiving.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2023, 03:58:32 pm »
I wa sat in the motor car at the traffic lights waiting for green, the driver in front must have had his foot on the brake pedal the whole time waiting. When he pulled away, I was blind

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2023, 05:00:29 pm »
I nearly pulled out on a car the other day thinking it was turning left, then i suddenly remembered this post so held back as i had only quickly glanced at it, then when i looked again sure enough both amber lights were on as well as their headlights too.
Really is a daft idea, and quite deceiving.
Agreed but would put it a little stronger than daft

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2023, 05:12:31 pm »
I wa sat in the motor car at the traffic lights waiting for green, the driver in front must have had his foot on the brake pedal the whole time waiting. When he pulled away, I was blind
Yes that is very annoying and inconsiderate and I have noticed that the LED ones are supper bright - even the normal LED rear lights are almost as bright as fog lights.
Whilst on the subject of stupid light designs, there seems to be trend appearing of rear lights spanning the whole of the back of the car in a long strip. I just think that if it ends up with most cars like that when on a motorway the whole road in front will just appear as a solid red block with no means or aids for your eyes to separate the cars you are looking at. Which is not good for judging the road ahead.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2023, 12:55:15 pm »
Yes that is very annoying and inconsiderate and I have noticed that the LED ones are supper bright - even the normal LED rear lights are almost as bright as fog lights.
Whilst on the subject of stupid light designs, there seems to be trend appearing of rear lights spanning the whole of the back of the car in a long strip. I just think that if it ends up with most cars like that when on a motorway the whole road in front will just appear as a solid red block with no means or aids for your eyes to separate the cars you are looking at. Which is not good for judging the road ahead.

Oh they're awful and highlight a benefit to having those who don't switch on their lights believing/insisting they are already on.
Any thoughts on the led strip indicators which roll on like KIT  :thumbdown
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2023, 05:06:02 pm »

Oh they're awful and highlight a benefit to having those who don't switch on their lights believing/insisting they are already on.
Any thoughts on the led strip indicators which roll on like KIT  :thumbdown
yes stupid gimmicks for children.