Date: 13-05-24  Time: 13:48 pm

Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 7281 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Cruise Control
« on: 02 January 2012, 02:03:54 pm »

b1ondini

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2012, 02:38:21 pm »
looks interesting, not tried one but am interested if anyone has too.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2012, 03:48:35 pm »
Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me
thou shalt not kick

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2012, 05:43:52 pm »

:agree there's a reason throttles are designed to close when you let go the grip...

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2012, 05:51:09 pm »
I think it would be used in very limited circumstances but may have it's uses for short spells.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2012, 06:08:46 pm »

:agree there's a reason throttles are designed to close when you let go the grip...
Probably the same reason as a throttle that doesn't snap shut is an MoT failure......

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
As would a car also fail an MOT with a sticking throttle pedal.......... ;)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2012, 09:00:06 pm »
I was thinking that the sticking throttle was MOT failure, but wasn't sure on that one, so kept schtumm...

But it does raise an interesting point - if your bike fails its MOT, its classed as not road worthy - so if you fit one of these devices, which when deployed creates a situation akin to a MOT failure point, is your bike then not roadworthy? And if that's the case, your insurance would be justified in refusing a claim should you have a crash?

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2012, 09:45:48 pm »
I think we all see the concern about a throttle that doesn't return and I would be very wary about using a 'cruise control' on a bike. But I have also been in the saddle for long periods when a couple of minutes of relaxation on the right wrist (oooh er!!) would be welcome.
As I said, these look less intrusive than the crampbuster alternatives and I wonder if anyone has tried one....it appears not.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2012, 10:35:57 pm »
But it does raise an interesting point - if your bike fails its MOT, its classed as not road worthy - so if you fit one of these devices, which when deployed creates a situation akin to a MOT failure point, is your bike then not roadworthy? And if that's the case, your insurance would be justified in refusing a claim should you have a crash?
Almost certainly, we all know how they will wriggle out of any claim if they can.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2012, 11:08:58 pm »
But I have also been in the saddle for long periods when a couple of minutes of relaxation on the right wrist (oooh er!!) would be welcome.

If that's the case, would you put a brick on your car's accelerator pedal to give your leg a rest?
thou shalt not kick

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2012, 11:21:42 pm »
No, I'd use the car's cruise control!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
which is a very different beast to the item in the link...

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2012, 02:28:37 am »
Did anyone watch the route 66 thing on the trike? he crashed his trike when he lost control because of a cramp buster type thing.

i suffer a lot from numb hands and have offten thought about the cramp buster or something. but every time i think about it i come to the same conclusion.... its not for me on a bike.
i drove 44 ton tankers for 12 years useing cruise control but i dont think they are a good idea on bikes. its a personal choice. if you would feel safe doing it then fair play, i do stuff all the time on the bike others wouldnt do :P

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2012, 08:36:16 am »
i think for £20 i'd rather stop and rest my wrist when it got tired and maybe arrive later than I anticipated!

you only need to fiddle with it once and get it wrong and end up in a serious accident!

maybe if you were sitting on miles and miles of straight interstate doing 65 then maybe but IMHO I think not a good idea in UK or europe!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

erix2

• Scouse cultural attache
  • GP Hero
  • Scouse cultural attache
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2012, 06:33:40 pm »

You could save yerself £15 and buy a cheap pair of Molegrips.. :eek ......or not..... :rolleyes

Eric  ;)

Sent from the Lancashire Riviera....:cool

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've not generally had problems with cramp even after eg 3 hours riding up to Birmingham.

Mostly I take the opportunity to ease the hands off when I'm stopped at lights etc, but there was one time I was on a long straight bit of motorway, so I just pulled in the clutch and let my right arm hang down whilst I wiggled my fingers, then brought the revs back up and gently let the clutch back in.

I've heard (though I can't confirm) that often cramp is due to a bad riding postion or gripping the bars too tightly, so that might be something to consider.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 January 2012, 12:42:26 pm »
My hand/wrist problem is down to a few medical issues. But it is deff agrivated by to tight a grip. It's something I have allways done since a kid, its why I can't ride off road and my on road ride is never smooth. Tried for years to change it and not grip the bars but just can't stop the bad habbit.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2012, 01:11:41 pm »
My old CCM R30 did it on its own lol, if you pushed the throttle rubber to the left it would stick there.
Some riders use to use a rubber O ring for the same effect,always sounded ropey to me

I,ve seen the paddle thing that you open the throttle with the palm of your hand I think the snotoiler people bang it out.

I have crap hands and to flex my hands on long journeys I hold the throttle by pinching it between the first 2 fingers and thumb and then the 2nd 2 fingers for a while to help the cramps
Its just a ride

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2012, 02:54:39 pm »
Have to agree with all the dissenting voices here. Quite apart from the dubious legality, and potential for such devices to jam or get in the way, it doesn't seem to have much to offer in this country... on the congested motorways I use there isn't much opportunity to leave the throttle in one position.
A cruise control on a car is very different: it maintains a constant speed rather than a fixed throttle opening so you don't slow down and speed up as you go up and down hills and disengages when the throttle or brake is touched.

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2012, 01:18:53 pm »
How does cruise control stop you picking up speed going down a hill ?
Its just a ride

Giraffe

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2012, 01:20:30 pm »
I have a variation of this fitted to my bike. It is brilliant and v cheap alternative to 'proper' cruise control on long journeys so you can rest your wrist. You can shut the throttle easily as it only has enough friction to overcome the return spring. You won't maintain speed like 'proper' cruise control unless you're on level ground.
G.

Other versions:
Throttlemeister
Vista Cruise throttle lock
Brakeaway or the Throttler
BreakAway throttle lock.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2012, 02:04:30 pm »
How does cruise control stop you picking up speed going down a hill ?

Well it dosent fully, but the version that was posted here for the bike would hold a throtle postition so down hill you would still be feeding it fuel, where as a true cruise control like fitted to trucks etc would at that be be negative throtle (ie clossed) so the engine would be holding you back a lot more than with the bike version. ok it wouldnt be enough to hold your speed (certainly not on an artic lol) but on a light car or bike it would be of a lot more effect.

though i still stand by that i wouldnt fit one, the dangers far out weigh the benifits in my mind.

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
Just wondered if new cruise controls on cars were smarter than the one on my mundaneo which is a bit crude
Its just a ride

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2012, 06:04:32 pm »
The older style cruise controls just operated the throttle so if you started to speed up due to a hill, it would close the throttle to slow you down.  If it still went too fast even on a fully closed throttle then it simple went too fast.  The more complex ones actually operate on the brakes as well so that won't happen.  I drove an SL55AMG Merc last year and that had the cruise control, traction control, ABS and anti-collision system all linked.  If you went beyond the set speed on the cruise control and shutting the throttle didn't get you speed down enough, it would apply the brakes.  In the same way, if you had the anti-collision switched on and got too close to the car in front it would also put the brakes on for you to maintain a safe distance.