Date: 20-05-24  Time: 03:01 am

Author Topic: Speed Camera Van  (Read 2331 times)

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Speed Camera Van
« on: 31 May 2013, 05:42:11 pm »
Yesterday I was going round a roundabout. Real nice one btw, nice camber on the road etc... That's beside the point tho lol.

Anyway, the exit before mine has two lanes but only their outside one has to stop, I have right of way on what becomes the outside lane. 30 limit but traffic always coming up the inside. About 50 or so yards away the speed limit changes to 50.

I'm concentrating on the turn, the traffic on the inside and give the throttle a little tickle. So doing 48 in the 30 zone just before the 50 zone begins.

Then I notice on the opposite pavement a police camera van pointing the other way, but obviously the cam out the back looking my way.

Yes I'm in the wrong, no question. Question is can they, or are they likely to have snapped me as I'm riding away from them?

Never had a ticket before and don't want one now!

Cheers for any replies.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Camera Van
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 06:28:42 pm »
A bit tricky to tell without a diagram or google maps reference, but it sounds to me as if they may have been set up to catch traffic travelling in the other direction. You'd have needed to be a fair distance away in any case (i.e. well into the 50 mph zone if I'm understanding your description) before you appear to be moving at 48mph from their equipment's point of view. (It only measures speed in line with the camera... you could ride flat out in a big circle around one of their fancy laser measuring thingies and it would register 0mph).

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2013, 08:21:36 pm »
I got caught last year 79 in a 70 did the course so no points. Thought I might have been seen but 3 weeks have passed so must have got my speed down in time.
If you go on your police area, mine is "North Yorkshire Police / Safety Cameras" you might be able to check what they have been doing, but I think you need "windows office" to read the info. At least you can see a list of camera sites they use, but not when they are there, as they say they don't want to catch drivers speeding they want to stop them speeding?

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2013, 09:25:50 pm »
I failed my test first time like that, been driving lories cars for twenty years, failed lol.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2013, 11:08:24 am »
If you are lucky it was just an ANPR checking dodgy tax/MOT/ins.

If not, kidnap your postie.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2013, 01:44:27 pm »
No point asking for opinions Bitfik, if nothing lands on your doormat within the next 2 weeks you're ok, if something does and you were doing 48 in a 30 then I doubt whether you'd be offered a place on the 'course'. Keep your fingers crossed. I got done for 37 in a 30.

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2013, 09:47:29 am »
Cheers guys, fingers crossed then.  :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2013, 03:45:05 pm »
Never heard of a camera catching speeders from the opposite side of the road. Camera would get confused by traffic cutting across its path. Think you'll be OK.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2013, 10:12:12 pm »
@ Chaz  79 in a 70 - what ever happened to the 10% + 3mph leeway?

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2013, 11:02:03 pm »
@ Chaz  79 in a 70 - what ever happened to the 10% + 3mph leeway?

Its now 10% + 1 i.e. 78 OK  79 you're done,  likewise 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 etc, think how many more have to do the safety course of which £35 goes to the police.