Date: 02-05-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: Good Winter Gear ??  (Read 5961 times)

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
Good Winter Gear ??
« on: 08 December 2011, 10:25:19 pm »
 Oi Oi. First year of biking and as the weather is getting pretty bad, I am in dire need of some good quality jacket and trousers.

However, I want to make sure I get something good, safe and, cos I'm a skinflint, cheap.

My criteria is:-

1) It must be warm

2) It must have good protection in case I fall off.

3) I don't care much about things like millions of pockets, I'd rather cheap, but good quality. Simples is the way forward.

4) Hi vis would be nice, but not essential.

5) I can't afford super, expensive, flashy gear. So be around the £100 mark per item (but the cheaper the better)

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a decent/friendly/honest bike shop in North London I'd love it.

I think that's it.
Cheers.

Sam

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Good Winter Gear ??
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2011, 11:19:35 pm »
I ride all year round and now have expensive goretex gear which is worth it but you pay the price.
One thing I would however recommend, especially for the winter, is a cheap rain oversuit. I bought a 2 piece set from Aldi's for £12 and it has been fantastic.
Keeps the road crud and wind off, and although never completely waterproof keeps alot of the water off your textile/leather gear. This is especially useful if you are wearing cheaper gear which may not be as waterproof.
As far as gear is concerned you do tend to get what you pay for, in most cases, these days. I'm not a big fan of Hein Gericke but I have used a variety of their clothing over the last 200k miles I have ridden and have found it of reasonaly good quality, fits well and it lasts well.   

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2011, 11:57:02 pm »
Going shopping for a new jacket tomorrow, have a look at Hein Gericke, seems good value for goretex kit. Can't decide if I want textile or another leather....
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2011, 12:08:46 am »
I use a pair of spada milan trousers with a Frank Thomas XTI jacket in the worst weather in Scotland. I have wore this combo in minus conditions and on long journeys and I find it comfortable, waterproof and warm. The trousers are one peice, i.e. no removeable lining. I prefer this in a trouser as its easyer to take off. Good knee pads that sit just right too. The jacket, however, is a 3 piece affair. Thermal lining, with a waterproof membrain and a Gore-Tex outer shell with titanium shoulder sliders. Includes elbow, knee and back protection. Although, the back protector aint the best. The 3 layers can be set to suit the conditions. I payed a total of £126, including delivery. So shop around.

Jacket - http://shop.georgewhite.co.uk/frank-thomas-ftw301-extreme-tour-black-red-blue-or-grey.html

Trousers - http://www.bikingdirect.com/spada/trousers/textile/spada-milan-textile-trousers-12744-p.html
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2011, 02:31:18 am »
There was a recent thread here which might give some useful tips.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2011, 09:37:08 am »
I've used Hein Gericke Gore-Tex gear for a couple of years now. Not the cheapest but totally waterproof, hard wearing and very well designed.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2011, 09:52:15 am »
Cheers all, that is some really useful info. I don't mind splashing out at a later date when I have managed to save up a little.

Just need something to tide me over this winter.

Cheers

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2011, 12:26:15 pm »
There's plenty of pretty good entry level stuff around but it's best to go and have a look around shops to see what you like the look of. Make sure you sit on your bike in gear you're interested in to make sure it's comfy though, you can always look on the net for cheaper prices once you've decided on sizes etc.

I've got gear in your price range and it suits me for my short commuting in winter, I might get more expensive gear in the future but doubt it unless my riding habits change.
thou shalt not kick

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
Yea man.

The problem is there is sooooo much gear out there. I just want adequate protection should I fall off (by fall off, I of course mean have some driver plough into me cos they are on the phone and doing a crossword whilst driving)

Rob, what gear do you have??

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
I've got Weise Psycho trousers (about £120ish) and a Hein Gericke prosport textile jacket (£60 in the sale).

The trousers I'd definitely reccommend (as do Ride), they have a removable liner and a leather(ish) patch on the arse which stops you sliding around on the seat.
I've had the jacket a couple of years now and the waterproofing has started to fail in heavy rain. I'm going to try and get it back with some Nikwax spray but if that doesn't work I've had great use out of it for the money I paid and will keep it as a spare.
Protection wise they both have the standard pads; knee and hip in the trousers (by Knox) and shoulder, elbow and back in the jacket (HG's own).

My thinking on the whole gear subject is; if it's designed for biking and is a reasonably established brand, the materials will work if they need to and the padding will be tested to EU standards. Nothing, regardless of price, will make you invincible but hopefully it'll cushion the blow and protect your skin if you end up bouncing/sliding down the road.

If you're looking to keep it cheap, look in clearance sections of retailers for last years styles. Go for (waterproof) textile jacket and trousers with removable linings so you can wear them into late spring. If/when the waterproofing begins to fail get an oversuit or some cheap waterproofs (worth having these as a backup under your seat in summer anyway).
Also, save some pennies for summer gear for if/when it warms up.
thou shalt not kick

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2011, 07:52:22 pm »

Cheers man.

All wicked advice thank you.

Sam

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
as yet in 30 years of riding i have learned nothing is 100%waterproof  ive had expernsive rukka and cheap rj all claim 100% waterproof all bollocks so if ya wanna stay dry take the bus
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2011, 08:45:50 pm »
Have to agree with Luke, sort of.
I think the big problem at the moment with waterproof kit is the great hunt for breathability. I have yet to find any modern kit that is both waterproof and breathable. Just doesnt seem to ring true, allthough I have to admit I have not spent mega bucks on Halvarsons or what not. I know that Goretex is hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread for bikers, and it is good stuff, but the price :eek
So here is my angle. I have had kit in the past that was 100% waterproof. Honestly!
When I was a courier back in the 80's, I had some stuff made by Dynamic, it was shit ugly and plasticky, but never let a drop in, and only cost 50 quid for jacket and bib and brace pants. Trouble was, in summer it was bloody awful cos it didnt breath, and I sweated like a mofo!! So whats waterproof about that :rollin
Just buy the best you can afford, and dont forget that Hein Gericke offer a two year gaurantee, so if it leaks, take it back ;)

Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2011, 11:46:40 pm »
http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/?gclid=CITq6oLY-KwCFVQLfAodyEx2SQ
I have been using a jacket from these for the last 4 yr and its great have got trouse from them too and so far they have been good. they are also on ebay.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2011, 02:10:41 am »
I bought a pair of richa monsoon trousers from a member a while back. Bargain. don't wear maybe as much as i should tho but waterproof, removable liner thats toasty because they are windproof and in really cold weather a pair of 2 pound long johns do the job. Other than that its a THICK danny zucco biker jacket and a jumper with a coupla t-shirts, thick socks and a snood. Heated gloves are on the way cos my hands can't be fucked with the cold no more
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Tagsantite

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2011, 04:36:10 am »
I've had a Weise jacket for many years, bought from one of Riossi's warehouse clearance sales.
Absolutely terrific in keeping the rain and cold out.
For slightly less cold conditions I use a BMW jacket, BMW boots and a BMW Sportintegral helmet.
All cracking bits of kit.

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2011, 10:48:32 am »
When I started again with bikes I got myself some rst gear that was about £100 each which was fine for starters, but later on splashed out on some goretex gear and you really can tell the difference. I would say that in most cases es you get what you pay for. The other thing to think about is buying second hand off evil bay ect you get better quality gear at a bargin price it you use a bit of savvy, I did quite a bit of that when starting out.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2011, 01:10:27 pm »
Any ski suit will do. Just get some cross country protectors underneath (or over).

The only other thing that realy works for me is goretex. But it is expensive. Dainese if you find it - very, very nice.

2 piece raind over suit is a must. As well as mitten and boot rain covers. Anti fog pinlock visor.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2011, 11:18:39 pm »
Bought a Goretex reinforced suit by Richa 2 or 3 years ago, has 2 inner romoveable layers, it's nice and warm but didn't stay waterproof very long.

Just Anne

• foc-u masterbaker
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Monster 821
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2011, 07:08:28 pm »
Really is worth looking at second hand gear, lots of people kit themselves out with to notch wear then never go out in real weather and sell the bike and clothing. Or they just get too fat and sell the stuff they don't fit into! :'( Not bought it myself but know a few people who have got nearly new stuff off ebay at a fraction of the original price. Especially cordura/gortex, it's so obvious if it's been down the road you can't buy damaged  stuff by mistake. Just need to ensure all the proper armour is still in it.

Anne
A girl can dream can't she?