Date: 11-05-24  Time: 11:19 am

Author Topic: Hard panniers and topbox  (Read 1919 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Hard panniers and topbox
« on: 09 March 2016, 02:36:48 pm »
Gents,
Have you fitted hard panniers to your bike, if so what sort and would you recommend them, interested in fitment along with the official Yamaha topbox rac. If you have the official rack fitted, have you got the official Yam. topbox or will a Givi adaptor plate fit ? Does hard luggage effect your bikes handling a lot ?
Cheers
Carl
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Hard panniers and topbox
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2016, 11:27:45 am »
I've got the official Yamaha top box and rack. Its handy to have somewhere to lock stuff away if you leave the bike. To fit the rack you have to cut a hole in the rear seat panel which isn't clever, but its an easy job with a hot knife. I think the Givi rack is a different design and you dont have to cut the holes. I thought about hard panniers but didn't bother as they are expensive and make the bike too wide. With soft panniers there isn't a gap between the panniers and seat panel.

Loaded up the bike was more difficult to put on the main stand and you could feel the front end being lighter than normal, but at my touring pace it wasn't a problem.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Hard panniers and topbox
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2016, 11:39:52 am »
Before I got the top box I strapped a kitbag to the rear seat.

The topbox and a tankbag is enough space for a 10 day trip if you are staying at B&B/hotels. I also had a small bag on the seat for chain lube, WD40 and stuff like that I didn't want in the topbox.