Date: 17-05-24  Time: 21:54 pm

Author Topic: Nipples  (Read 1450 times)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Nipples
« on: 06 May 2014, 12:25:09 pm »
Does anyone know the thread size of the Blue Spot Front Caliper Bleed nipples?

after Sunday's LoFo ride I noticed that there was some seepage around one of my front caliper nipples coming from the threaded area, checked the bleed hole and it is dry.

I noticed it first last week so I pulled the nipple cleaned it, cleaned out the bleed hole in the calpier with a small bottle brush and brake cleaner, went for a quick ride and no seepage was evident. But after Sunday's 320 mile blast the seepage was back.

I did bleed the calipers last week and on Saturday, as I disturbed the brake lines when I changed the front forks, so I know the bleed holes are clear.

Want to change the nipple first to see if the seeping stops with a new nipple or if I'm into further work/expense.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Nipples
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2014, 01:06:02 pm »
damn wrong nipples  :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2014, 01:29:15 pm »

i have found with both my blue spot bikes that the nipples weep unless done up way too tight for my mechanical sympathy. the service book says 6nm but i think that's a serious under estimate.

i also fit new bleed nipples as a matter of course when dismantling calipers or changing fluid as they seem to seal better. it shouldn't make any difference i know, it's just what my experience has shown me.
is it clean enough?

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2014, 02:59:50 pm »
Replace the copper seals and you should be fine.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2014, 03:10:12 pm »
What copper seals? We're talking bleed nipples, not banjo bolts...

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2014, 03:32:47 pm »

i have found with both my blue spot bikes that the nipples weep unless done up way too tight for my mechanical sympathy. the service book says 6nm but i think that's a serious under estimate.

i also fit new bleed nipples as a matter of course when dismantling calipers or changing fluid as they seem to seal better. it shouldn't make any difference i know, it's just what my experience has shown me.

Thanks for the info, like you I was getting to the point when tightening the nipples, when I first discovered the weeping, where I was thinking they were on the point of stripping and stopped going too far, not only for fear of stripping the threads but damaging the tapered seat in the caliper, rendering the caliper scrap.

Strange only one caliper is weeping

Just need to find out if the threads are  M7 x 1,0 or M8 x 1,25 then I'll order some.

I would have thought I'd have some sponginess at the lever with this issue but the lever feel was fine all day Sunday, even during hard braking from  :evil :evil :evil  speeds

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2014, 04:15:40 pm »
Not sure of thread pitch/size but new bleed nipples shouldnt require overtightening. Just check nipple holes clear of any debris. You dont want to risk stripping the alloy thread in the caliper-just tighten a little-then clean area& keep an eye on them for a bit to check no leaks.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2014, 06:38:12 pm »
damn wrong nipples  :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Fooled me too! Damn. :P
The Deef's apprentice