Date: 29-05-24  Time: 08:17 am

Author Topic: Lifesaver ! ! !  (Read 2794 times)

fz6novice

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Lifesaver ! ! !
« on: 26 May 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
Had quite the eventful ride today hoping to take my fz6 on a tour of North Wales only got as far as Warrington on the M6. My trusty Caberg 407 lid kept lifting its visor every time I did a lifesaver just as well I had my internal sun visor down. Decided enough was enough at Warrington and limped home on the A49 at a more sedate speed with no problems. The joys of the open road eh ?

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Re: Lifesaver ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
Visor mechanism needs looking at by the sounds of it.

I find mirrors are all that's required once over a certain speed & looking over your shoulder becomes totally unnecessary.  :D

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2012, 08:49:41 pm »
 :eek All mirrors have blind spots, no matter what speed you're doing. It's called a lifesaver for a reason. What's there to say another biker isn't travelling at speed and is positioned in your blind spot. But then it's your life not mine. ;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2012, 02:47:21 am »
I've been thinking of getting some of those round blind-spot mirrors that you stick on to your main mirror and adjust to show what's outside the usual coverage.

Trouble is that they appear to be about 45mm diameter (or maybe 50mm depending on which site you look at) which is going to take a big chunk out of my normal mirror's view.

Has anyone else tried these?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2012, 06:13:30 am »
Grahamm: Was @ my local bike shop Saturday & first bike I saw parked up was identical to mine-red FZS1000 2002. The owner had fitted round blind spot mirrors which cover a fair part of the original mirror surface. When he came out to ride off I got talking & he says they make a huge diff.to his rear visibility. im getting tired of having to tuck my elbows in everytime i take a peek so may try them myself now. He had previously ridden a Honda Blackbird but like me increasing age made the Fazer a much more comfortable proposition. Mentioned the foccers forum to him :)

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2012, 09:06:41 am »
Always just take a glance to the side when overtaking just part of the routine,as the saying go,s" better safe than sorry. ;) "

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2012, 10:05:11 am »
I've had a couple of fast bikes "de-cloak" right beside me from time to time  :lol

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2012, 11:47:58 am »
It's good with a pillion who rides bikes as well  :lolshe can look behind while I ride

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2012, 11:57:00 am »
I will confess to my post being a little bit tongue in cheek about not using mirrors above a certain speed. Was out yesterday on the M5 & M42 & I find it impossible to change lanes without a quick turn of the head.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2012, 05:44:34 pm »
 :lol Tongue in cheek,,,,Do you not mean ....Head up your arse... :pokefun :rollin

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
Grahamm: Was @ my local bike shop Saturday & first bike I saw parked up was identical to mine-red FZS1000 2002. The owner had fitted round blind spot mirrors which cover a fair part of the original mirror surface. When he came out to ride off I got talking & he says they make a huge diff.to his rear visibility. im getting tired of having to tuck my elbows in everytime i take a peek so may try them myself now.

I've measured the mirrors and they're roughly about 6" wide by 3" deep, although, having sat on the bike I've noticed that a fair amount of the space the blind spot mirrors will take up is lost by simply reflecting my elbow and side.

I think what I'll do is stick a couple of pieces of 2" diameter cardboard on the mirrors and go for a spin around the block and see if the amount of view that's remaining is still ok, then, if so, pick up a set of the blind-spot ones.

They're only about £5-£6 including postage on eBay, so if they don't work it's no great loss.

fz6novice

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2012, 07:20:51 pm »
I think the visor is too loose, it takes zero effort to move it. Am thinking of stripping lining and helmet internals down so I can 'modify' the springs; if this fails its another trip to Ghostbikes to part with my hard earned. Open to suggestions ?

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2012, 11:26:34 pm »
Without knowing what the mechanism is like on your helmet it's difficult to say but it could just be the teeth on your visor that are worn which would make it a fairly cheap/easy fix?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2012, 06:08:12 am »
Saw a pair of blind spot mirrors in Halfords yesterday so decided to try them. Have just fitted one to o/s mirror first. Will report findings when tested :eek

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2012, 12:43:16 pm »
Saw a pair of blind spot mirrors in Halfords yesterday so decided to try them. Have just fitted one to o/s mirror first. Will report findings when tested :eek

I tried one of these things once and found that I stopped looking at it after a few days, I do lifesavers when I think appropriate and wouldn't trust a bendy mirror as a substitute anyway. Eventually I took the mirror off and gave it to my grandmas budgie, it kept him amused for a few hours after which he shat on it and it then ended up in the bin.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2012, 04:28:17 pm »
Check out....Hunter create, rider scan.........What do you think peeps ?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2012, 02:29:17 am »
I found some smaller size blind-spot mirrors on eBay for just over a fiver, so I'll see how they work soon.