Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:41 am

Author Topic: Riding At Night  (Read 4530 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Riding At Night
« on: 24 September 2013, 05:45:42 pm »
So who enjoys this apparently weird fetish then?
I quite like doing it if the weather's good. Last night it was mild and dry, and I virtually had the roads to myself. Obviously I'm not going nuts on the twisty bits at night, but still got a fair pace on, slowing to burble softly through the villages, a few trucks to overtake, but some were actually slowing at the start of straights to let me past. All very civilised, and away from the towns I didn't meet any cage-cretins in their souped-up shopping cars. Felt very refreshed and relaxed when I got home.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Riding At Night
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 05:52:47 pm »
I have no choice, I work shifts and commute on the bike now. In wet weather it's not pleasant, but I figure I could do with the experience.  ;)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2013, 06:07:09 pm »
I did some twisties I've never ridden before the other night, hated it and ended up following cars cos I couldn't see a thing. Might have been better with adequate lights
thou shalt not kick

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2013, 06:12:52 pm »
On roads you know, it's lovely.
The Deef's apprentice

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2013, 06:13:29 pm »
I find there is a certain degree of serenity to it (sometimes) !!! Most of the time though i'm straining my eyes trying to work out which way the road goes and praying that various hedge critters don't try launching themselves into my path. The best thing about it is the lack of other vehicles on the road  :)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

peterjca

« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2013, 06:25:54 pm »
I don't mind the dark, commuting all year round on my FZ1. I do mind dark + heavy rain. That reminds me of my first motorcycling experiences. Autumn/winter time twenty years ago, student days, brand new RG125, not much confidence. I used to go out very early in the mornings along countryside B roads in Aberdeenshire at 4am to get experience and confidence without the hassle of loads of traffic. It worked, but not sure I'd recommend it on unknown roads. How I avoided some of the pot holes (more evident when I retraced my rides in daytime) must have been down to luck.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2013, 07:18:58 pm »
I don't mind it when it's dry, but when it's pissing with rain and dark it can get very difficult to see.  I've actually been thinking of fitting a couple of these to the bike to improve on the boxeye headlamp.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2013, 07:27:47 pm »
I'm having electrical issues with my headlights at the minute. Issues as in they aren't working  :'(

So i'm trying not to ride in the dark! I have my sidelights and one bulb will shine bright if I press the pass switch, i'm leaving on a 400 mile overnighter tomorrow and will have the pass switch cable tied on to light me up  :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2013, 07:32:55 pm »
Don't mind it, but there can be a few issues.

Midge - often in summer and autumn as it's getting dark, within a few miles you can't see a bloody thing due to the 100's of midge stuck to yer visor.

Deer and other stuff.  Can be attracted to headlamps.  Deer can jump in front of you at any time, but at least during the day you often (not always) get some warning.

It's estimated there are 0.5 million deer in Scotland, and 1.5 million across the UK.  You are much more likely to hit em at night.  You never want to hit one!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2013, 07:52:16 pm »
i'm not big on riding at night for the sake of it, but i will often get up at 4am on a saturday to get to the hills and watch the dawn breaking. lines you up nicely for a good breakfast as well!

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2013, 08:20:13 pm »
Not keen on riding in the dark if I can avoid it, especially the dazzle on my visor.

Bit of an aside, but what do you guys make of driving in fog? Was quite misty here this morning and I hate it! (Not the fog, I love Autumn) but the way it clags on the visor. I wish it would just rain!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2013, 08:33:20 pm »
I'm another shift worker, so night commuting is mandatory for me.
I actually enjoy dawdling around at night, the boxeye headlights are absolutely useless, but my fz1 has upgraded bulbs and makes the whole experience more enjoyable.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2013, 08:50:12 pm »
Nope dont like it, and a lot of the bigger critters come out at night badgers,foxes, rabbits, dont fancy hitting one of those, kamakizee pidgeons are bad enough in the daylight
« Last Edit: 24 September 2013, 08:55:51 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2013, 09:04:08 pm »
Like it at times. Never really enjoyed it on my old FZS pre-headlamp mod, got to be one of the worst headlights around - so much so that I used to notice if it was clear sky and full moon.....

Prefer it on my current bike, better headlights i.e. they can actually light up the road. Also they are stacked in the middle of the bike so you really notice the beam shape change when you lean over.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2013, 09:43:17 pm »
what do you guys make of driving in fog?

Hate it, mostly because of the idiots who don't appreciate that if visibility is reduced, you've got less time to react if there's a hazard ahead and keep driving as if it's clear.

In foggy weather I spend as much time checking my mirrors as I do looking ahead to watch out for pillocks who are driving too fast for the conditions.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2013, 10:03:52 pm »
I'm having electrical issues with my headlights at the minute. Issues as in they aren't working  :'(

So i'm trying not to ride in the dark! I have my sidelights and one bulb will shine bright if I press the pass switch, i'm leaving on a 400 mile overnighter tomorrow and will have the pass switch cable tied on to light me up  :eek

May be better to bodge a wiring mod in the Black Box of Doom Under the Tank. I've heard accounts of the pass switch burning out if used for prolonged periods - you REALLY don't want that happening
The Deef's apprentice

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
I love it, in the summer mainly,  although my headlights keep blinding oncoming traffic so I get flashed a lot :-o

I can't adjust them much lower as I need to see far enough ahead...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2013, 11:02:17 pm »
Not keen on riding in the dark if I can avoid it, especially the dazzle on my visor.

Bit of an aside, but what do you guys make of driving in fog? Was quite misty here this morning and I hate it! (Not the fog, I love Autumn) but the way it clags on the visor. I wish it would just rain!

Have a try at one of these, i've been using them for years now.
Slight reactolite lens, stops steaming up inside, and at night it turns headlight dazzle into single beams.
You need a dust free environment when fitting it though, and the double sided tape goes on once, so make sure it's positioned right 'cos it sticks like glue and will spoil if you attempt to remove it to reposition it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Progrip-3000-Visor-Insert-Anti-Fog-Light-Sensitive-Clear-/181058057722?pt=UK_Helmets_Headwear_Visor_Inserts_Tear_Offs&hash=item2a27e6b5fa

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2013, 08:02:17 am »

Have a try at one of these, i've been using them for years now.
Slight reactolite lens, stops steaming up inside, and at night it turns headlight dazzle into single beams.
You need a dust free environment when fitting it though, and the double sided tape goes on once, so make sure it's positioned right 'cos it sticks like glue and will spoil if you attempt to remove it to reposition it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Progrip-3000-Visor-Insert-Anti-Fog-Light-Sensitive-Clear-/181058057722?pt=UK_Helmets_Headwear_Visor_Inserts_Tear_Offs&hash=item2a27e6b5fa

+1 for the Progrip - been using them for over 3yrs as I find most pinlocks are hit'n'miss and "anti-fog" coatings usually shite! Excellent and well worth the outlay in my mind.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2013, 01:02:49 pm »
Late at night London's like a big playground for bikes

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2013, 06:45:11 pm »
Don't know how to do the quote thingy, but thanks Darrsi, shall deffo look into it

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2013, 04:35:30 am »
Don't know how to do the quote thingy, but thanks Darrsi, shall deffo look into it
Top right of the page you want to quote, then click below the word quote on the page and start writing.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2013, 04:37:02 am »
Top right of the page you want to quote, then click below the word quote on the page and start writing.

Mickey

You're up early / late, Mickey!!
The Deef's apprentice

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 September 2013, 04:38:06 am »
I too commute and must admit that some of my fastest home runs are done in the dark. Utter stupidity but I trust in luck, so that's alright then

Mickey

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 September 2013, 04:40:21 am »

Mickey

You're up early / late, Mickey!!

Can't sleep. Speak to ya on Facebook?