Date: 17-05-24  Time: 06:13 am

Author Topic: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?  (Read 38532 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #75 on: 02 July 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
We use Aeva Media to display videos. It is no longer supported as the author is working on a replacement for SMF. YouTube videos that begin https are newish and so not supported. There is an easy fix and a difficult fix. The easy fix concerns the word censor i.e. swapping https for http (when followed by youtube etc - obviously I cannot type it here as the censor will censor it). This is the option I chose because 1. we are not using the censor and 2. it would have taken me a while to understand the difficult fix.

Here is the difficult fix:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=200401.msg3555283#msg3555283

You can find the php files mentioned if you download the mod. Good luck!

I'm not entirely sure I understand the issue but would this work as a replacement for the youtube links in subs-Aeva-Sites.php ? (attached as a file incase the site breaks it).  Essentially modifying the regex for the pattern match by adding (http|https).  I can't check it anyway so I'm probably just making a fool of myself but s**t happens huh.
I assume you have a parallel/debug/backup/pilot/testing site you can test this on .

**** DO NOT USE THIS FILE AS IT IS (It's just an example for the youtube site to illustrate the regex change for pattern) ****
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 05:14:03 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 02 July 2013, 05:23:03 pm »
Seems like a lot of work as the general consensus was the forum works well and didn't need fixing. Would it not be easier just to block users that he doesn't like.
That would imply that I dislike you.  I don't.  I'd like to read the things that you have to say minus the surplus diatribe  :lol

I thought this had been instigated by not liking what I have to say..... Your a complicated foccer  :D

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 02 July 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
Earl Grey teabags....hahahahahaha....doncha jus luv em.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02 July 2013, 05:24:23 pm »
I think the forum is fantastic, and the time, effort and money the Mods put in must be massive, plus all the members  that contribute make this the forum that it is.
Some people don't like the swearing and some do ( I do),  so its difficult to keep everyone happy.
You could have a 'anything goes' area which you can post in ( bit like the naughty corner ) which cant be accessed by non members and suggest ( site rules) no offensive words etc in the public areas?
I know nothing about setting up forums so I could be talking rubbish ( as usual  :) )
Mark

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 02 July 2013, 05:27:12 pm »
Earl Grey teabags....hahahahahaha....doncha jus luv em.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
The Deef's apprentice

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 02 July 2013, 05:30:36 pm »
I think the forum is fantastic, and the time, effort and money the Mods put in must be massive, plus all the members  that contribute make this the forum that it is.
Some people don't like the swearing and some do ( I do),  so its difficult to keep everyone happy.
You could have a 'anything goes' area which you can post in ( bit like the naughty corner ) which cant be accessed by non members and suggest ( site rules) no offensive words etc in the public areas?
I know nothing about setting up forums so I could be talking rubbish ( as usual  :) )
Mark

Or have a joy boy area..... Shit.... Fuck....I did it again :'(

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 02 July 2013, 05:35:13 pm »
To be fair I have little issue with swearing unless it's profuse and purely to cause offence, it's more sexism/racism/homophobia that I can't see the funny side of.

It's one of the weirder things that I've never come across anyone objecting to being quiet in a library or that there was no swearing (in the good ol days) on TV before 9pm.  When the rules are there or there is an understanding of what is polite or not then there is no issue it's when you go in to the pub/snooker hall/smoking room and try to not change the world but moderate the tone that you face a tremendous backlash.

Most people are polite in civil company and in society until the tone is lowered.  The question is how low does it go until it's base, pointless and purely offensive.

I understand this is the foccers site.  I understand that the site admins have the final word.  I hoped to make a useful point but it got lost in the backlash.  I've learnt and moved on.  No word censor could block homophobia/racism/etc, swearing yes, but something complex like a concept can't be censored as there are so many ways it can be stated, it requires moderation so it's time to pack this train up and move on.

I actually found that marginally amusing.  You need to up your game BBB.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 05:38:28 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 02 July 2013, 05:38:46 pm »
Mark

for fucks sake its a joy boy or girl area !! havnt you leant that yet !!!  :lol :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 02 July 2013, 05:43:50 pm »
I have not been to the start of this thread, what the fuck is it about?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 02 July 2013, 05:45:24 pm »
I have not been to the start of this thread, what the fuck is it about?

It's about you slim

You is too english!!!! :lol
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 02 July 2013, 05:54:22 pm »
Maybe this would work better (if it works at all).  It's a custom filter which won't get overwritten like the other one could and only specifies https allowing the other filter to do http.

I made the file on a windows machine so if you put it on to a unix both the crlf's might be screwy which could break it.  Maybe best to create a new file and copy and paste the content on a unix box.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 02 July 2013, 05:56:56 pm »
Eh?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 02 July 2013, 06:05:54 pm »
Maybe this would work better (if it works at all).  It's a custom filter which won't get overwritten like the other one could and only specifies https allowing the other filter to do http.

I made the file on a windows machine so if you put it on to a unix both the crlf's might be screwy which could break it.  Maybe best to create a new file and copy and paste the content on a unix box.

Simomm, life is not perfect nor are people. Whilst I understand your wish to only be exposed to a polite PC conversation, I do not believe a forum of hard working stressed bikers just trying to get the best ride they can, is a place that spelling and grammar, let alone polite n PC can exist?
If you are so good at coding maybe design your own context/language filter on your own machine than trying to fix the world?
I'm not being rude but I feel this issue is more your own rather than this forums.
Sorry mate but try and live and let live a little?
I'm sure your wife would appreciate it also?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 02 July 2013, 06:28:22 pm »
Could the site admins possibly help here?

On a few other forums I use, there is a self-censorship option that you can set, meaning you can replace any word you're uncomfortable with, with another word of your choice.
i.e. shit can be shoot, fuck can be flip, piss can be pee and Hyosung can be wankbag.

There are other forums that censor words for all users, but these personal options seem the best so would it be possible to adopt it here?

And can we replace "blue" with "slow"... :lol
Oops, now there's me not reading all the thread before barging in - Ok, replace "Nick Crisp" with "senile old git" then :rolleyes
But at least there's a consensus of opinion on colour building here...
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 06:35:56 pm by nick crisp »

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 02 July 2013, 06:43:04 pm »
Nominations for "Dale Whinton" " Louis Spence" and "Rug Muncher"........obviously I'm joking :lol
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 06:49:45 pm by bigbluebear »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 02 July 2013, 06:43:23 pm »
Bah bah any colour, any shape, any size, any sex, any religion, any sexuality, any race sheep...

Have you any fair trade, carbon neutral, organic, environmental fibres?
If they get between me and the tarmac I'll have whatever fibres make me safest  :lol

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02 July 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
Golly gosh Simon are you still here?

I would have thought that your personal dynamic risk assessment would have told you that the safest thing to do in this situation was ..........

........ to get the fuck out of here before the bear eats you !
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 02 July 2013, 07:34:41 pm »
No word censor could block homophobia/racism/etc, swearing yes, but something complex like a concept can't be censored as there are so many ways it can be stated, it requires moderation so it's time to pack this train up and move on.
Again, it's not because we can't be bothered, it's because we choose not to by preference.

Will hopefully try it in the morning - too tired now :z

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 02 July 2013, 10:44:04 pm »
Is this not getting blown out of all proportion??? Yes this thread is a bit over the top with the language, but thats purely because thats what this thread was about!!!  All in all I think the FOCU site is pretty good. There is always gonna be a bit of swearing going on, this is the real world. I havent seen anything on here that is grossly offensive, mostly just light hearted banter between adults. Lighten up and enjoy...... FFS!!!!!   :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 03 July 2013, 08:07:20 am »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 03 July 2013, 08:15:57 am »
Lighten up ? You callin me fat ?  :eek

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 03 July 2013, 09:23:40 am »
it would be very interesting if the next foccer to join the..clan" had TURRETS!! :rolleyes ...

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 03 July 2013, 09:35:42 am »
tourettes or ram man ?

Ram man would be infinitely cooler but he only has a single turret.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 03 July 2013, 09:42:43 am »
..either?....would you realy like to to take them on???????????? ;)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 03 July 2013, 10:15:23 am »
The Deef's apprentice