Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:31 pm

Author Topic: rear brakes  (Read 847 times)

daabren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
rear brakes
« on: 09 July 2016, 02:09:28 pm »
Hi all my names dave from wales and I have the fazer 1000, 2002 model.
I have just bought a second hand rear master cylinder from a breakers yard in Bristol because the old one I removed was in an appalling condition, rusty, scored in the bore etc...
So, I have fitted new one, ok second hand.. problem is I have filled the pot with Dot4 but its not going down through the system !
I am pumping the pedal while opening the bleed valves as per the Haynes manual but to no avail. Nothing is happening !
I am now in the process of leaving it for several hours and trying again later. Feels like I am doing something wrong !!

Does anyone think I may need a vacuum pump to draw the Dot4 through the system ?
 If anyone can think of a solution as Im getting desperate ( and missing all this sun ) !!!

Thanks for any suggestions.
dave

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2016, 02:12:32 pm »
nip to the local pharmacist and buy a large syringe and pull the fluid.

if you are in bristol, you can borrow hose and a syringe from me.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2016, 02:13:32 pm »
Check if the bleed nipple is blocked. They're very narrow and so beyond visual inspection you might want to use a pin or similar to carefully clean it out. Then try again. Had something similar first time I did my front. Worth a go.

Andy

daabren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2016, 11:01:40 am »
thanks guys (nipples were clear cos I cleaned them when stripped the cylinder ). seems ok now after leaving overnight, had to do a lot of break pumping though ! still seems a little air in the system but I can live with that.

cheers
dave

Peasy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX-6R Trackbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2016, 05:44:56 pm »
Pop the wheel out and if you've got a clean caliper whip the top off the reservoir and then push the pads back as far as poss which will force all fluid and air back up to the reservoir so be careful it doesn't overflow.

I do it on front brakes and it works even when I've fitted new lines, this method has worked fine for me.

daabren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2016, 09:14:29 pm »
thanks Peasy will bear that in mind next time.

cheers