Date: 05-05-24  Time: 16:24 pm

Author Topic: Too good to be true?! First bike a'hoy!  (Read 4853 times)

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Too good to be true?! First bike a'hoy!
« on: 08 July 2012, 08:57:34 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, had my eye on a fazer for my first bike and as my MOD2 test is coming up in the next couple of weeks I'm startin to have a good look around.

I'm looking for something that won't need a huge amount doing to it, I have the experience to fix but not the time! And as I'm using for commuting I need it to be up and running right away.
I spotted this on ebay, looks like a bit of a bargain, stainless steel down pipes, average miles, nice belly pan and double bubble screen, there is a minor fly in the oil though...
He says it has cam chain rattle and he has rather helpfully added a vid on youtube of the noise. Could you kind folks share your Fazer knowledge and tell me if I'm stepping into something that I shouldn't be? It doesn't seem like a massive job to sort from what I've read, but I wouldn't want the chain to fail on the drive back home and be left with a nackered engine.
It does seem cheap compared to what FZS600's tend to go for, is there anything else I should be looking out for if I go and view?
Thanks in advance guys.

philshaq
...Oh Yeah!

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
Re: Too good to be true?! First bike a'hoy!
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
hi phil,you will love the fazer 600 but if its the bike in rotherham on ebay it seems a little expensive when it deffo does need a new cam chain,the chains are cheap but its not cheap on labour to fit or easy to do yourself if you havnt done them before!
i paid 1050 for my 98 fazer 600 and it needed nothing,its not got stainless exhaust but the original is still good so il ugrade later
as for things to check on all all bikes id recomend you look for signs of it been crashed(most bikes have been on the floor at some time but look for major damage and bent frame,wheels,forks etc)also check the expensive to replace items such as brake discs,tyres,chain,and if you cant do the work yourself look at leaking forks,pad thickness,service history etc etc as it can soon add up to do the smallest job if you have to pay someone!
there is some great bikes out there at the right price just dont rush to buy the 1st you see,this one might be a good buy if you can get chain changed at good price(ask your local bike shop for quote) but possibly trailer/van it home to be same cos if chain snaps its big expense!
good luck and have fun

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2012, 09:34:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply mate, just re-read my post and realised I'd not put the link to the bike in!!

Here it is;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-600-/150851643169?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item231f756721

What makes you say that the chain deffinately needs changing? Thanks for the additional advice, I'm deffos not going to rush into it, done that too many times with cars!!

Also, what kinda mileage should I be considering an upper limit? I'm going to be doing about 1200 a month commuting and want to keep it for a year / 18 months if possible.

Thanks again.
...Oh Yeah!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2012, 10:02:47 pm »
To be honest, I tend not to bother with ebay much - I've got 3 bike shops local to me, so I usually go to one of them - that way, the bike is more of a known quantity (a good shop will want to keep a good reputation) plus I've a point of contact if I do have a problem. Yes, you'll pay more for it but I personally would rather pay more for a good bike than buy a cheapy and chuck a load of cash keeping it on the road.

I paid £3500 for my 4 year old FZ6 S2 from a shop 2 streets away from me; there was an '03 plate FZS600 in (which is what I'd looked at first) for just under £2k - I bought the younger one figuring it'd be less "tired". As it was the bike I bought had not long had new tyres / chains / sprockets, brakes had plenty meat left, and it got a new MoT / oil / filter on purchase.

Have a trawl round the bike shops in your area, see whats in your price range (if your paying cash, use that to haggle on price) and be picky (especially as its your first bike)(there's plenty decent bikes out there); a bike with minor marks is ok (newbies drop bikes, and doubtless you will at some point), a bike which has "been down the road" (crashed) is something else.

The usual advice, however, still stands: if you're not sure about your way round bikes, take a mate who is.

As for the mileage, the bikes service history and general condition / treatment is more important than the mileage itself.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2012, 09:26:21 am »
Does actually say tensioner fault and not cam chain.. Bike isnt particularly a bargain but at least he's been honest in mentioning the rattle.. Lots quiet bikes can be had for same money particularly with cr@p weather around.. Always bought private as never keen on payin someones wages and can generally get feel of the good from the bad within seconds.. Take someone along for a second opinion and good luck with your test..  :)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

marksfazer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2012, 09:27:53 am »
It depends of the cam chain rattle is there all the time. I've had mine for 3 years and the cam chain has rattled from cold but goes away when hot. I searched this forum for advice and a lot of the posts said it would be ok as long as it doesn't rattle when hot. Never had any problems with it and i'm always gentle whilst bringing it up to temp.
Mark.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2012, 11:15:38 am »
I think i'm right in saying the cam chain normally goes around the 30k mark, so i'd hazard a guess that a 35k bike will need it changing!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2012, 06:37:23 pm »
my cam chain was rattling badly i just kept riding then started the bike one day and it had stopped done 5k since and its fine just coming up to 50k
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 01:05:52 am by donkey93 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2012, 12:50:46 am »
Is that with earplugs, or iPlayer?  :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2012, 09:08:45 am »
I think i'm right in saying the cam chain normally goes around the 30k mark, so i'd hazard a guess that a 35k bike will need it changing!
News to me. :eek
(First engine 114k,  current engine approx 60k, never touched the camchain on either.)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2012, 10:41:00 am »
Obviously i'm on about if the bike sounds like a sewing machine when warm!
Sounds like you've had a result, twice.......

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys...

Its a good point, he has chose to list it which is a plus point, has anyone listened to it on youtube? Seems like a good way of gauging how bad / good the noise is. In general, might be a good idea to put stuff up  on youtube, would save the "its like a angry baby shaking a rattle which then calms down to a rattle snake when warm" descriptions!!

He does also mention that its only on Start-up so it might be a cheap fix.

Misterjay - I didn't think the price was too bad, with it being fairly low miles and stainless steel downpipes, but I'm always open to cheaper!! How much would you say it was worth / I can expect to pay for something that requires little additional work to be carried out?

Thanks again for all the comments.
...Oh Yeah!

DaxPlusPlus

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2012, 09:24:59 am »
Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts too.

I bought a 03 Foxeye Fazer about 3 months ago. Spent some time looking and a few things I noticed:

- the pre foxeye fazers are a lot cheaper that the foxeye versions. £1000 will get you a good pre foxeye - nothing should need doing. If you wait you may be able to pay less than a grand for a good one but only you know how long your prepared to wait. Ebay is a good source of bikes but just do you research and don't rush into buying anything - another one with be up for sale before too long.
- some of the foxeye's can be had with very low mileage and in very good condition .. but you do pay for this. Maybe £1500-£1800. Obviously you will get ones above and below this .. it all depends on who is selling and why.
- If there's anything wrong with the bike (or the owner) walk away - there are so many out there it's just not worth the risk. Obviously if you know what your doing then this can actually help with the price but I didn't want the hassle of work on the bike.
- If your commuting big distances then frequency of your fuel stops can be bothersome .. the foxeye has a bigger tank. So it was a no brainer for me - although I knew that I could get a pre foxeye for at lot less I wanted to reduce the refuelling hassle on my commute to an absolute minimum. Hence the 03 foxeye - I've done 290 miles between fill ups.

BTW I actually prefer the look of the pre-foxeye but in the end practicality was what I was after.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2012, 07:36:06 pm »
i paid over the odds for my '03 Foxeye FZS600 - i know that.

Apparently (and others may contradict me) the '02/'03 Foxeye model is more sought after than the earlier / later models due to it having the detuned Thundercat engine and the R6 brakes - i believe the later/earlier models dont really match it (this is what ive been told and i can believe it)
mine was a minter though - barely a scratch on it and with a number of extras.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2012, 09:39:18 pm »
I agree, the pre-foxeye is a lot better looking, something retro 80's in the design that makes it appealing!

Interesting comment about the fuel stops, how much of a difference are we talking? I work next to a petrol station so not that bothered, plus I don't think the I want the budget to stretch that far!

Where else other than biketrader and ebay would you recommend looking at? I've had a look at gumtree but there's nothing on there!!! I'm happy to sort something out if there are any simple problems, but I can't get a project bike.

...Oh Yeah!

Gromit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2012, 09:56:51 pm »
My 2000 fzs was my first "proper" bike as the father in law put it and i love it. Great for everyday commuting. I paid 1200 for mine 6 months ago with only 7000 miles on it. Already put 10000 on it. I have no issues with it but invest in the usual bad weather bits. Extender fender. Maybe fork gators. Heated grips. Look after it and it will not let you down!

DaxPlusPlus

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2012, 10:11:53 pm »
re: tank range.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,2369.0.html

Read all about tank range and mpgs across the range of Fazers  :)

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
How did you get it with such low mileage so cheap?! I knew I should have looked in January!

Thanks for the link to MPG, shall do some thinking.
...Oh Yeah!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2012, 10:50:01 pm »

(and others may contradict me)

Nah, can't be bothered, there are enough posts here (or on the old site) that will put you straight.

Oh go on then,,,

It's not a detuned Tcat motor and was the same through 1998 to the end of the fox eye, they're not R6 brakes (they're from the R1, and were fitted from day 1 of the Box-eye (my 1998 has them))

What you do have, is adjustable forks (they went on in 2000, still in box-eye days), a bigger fuel tank (I think that also changed in 2000, and then got bigger again with the fox eye), different (lower I think) pillion footrests, and I think, a slightly different swing arm (although might be making that up!)

All errors and inconsistencies are purely the result of not paying much attention to what I'm typing ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2012, 01:07:27 am »
I paid £900 for mine, but it had been a bit abused, so then spent plenty on it getting it up to my spec, i won't be doing that again in a hurry, although i did enjoy working on it, it's all been a learning curve!
« Last Edit: 12 July 2012, 06:25:33 am by darrsi »

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2012, 06:15:45 am »
Darrsi, it's awesome at the moment, seens as though I cycle to and from work!!
...Oh Yeah!

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2012, 08:20:10 am »

(and others may contradict me)

Nah, can't be bothered, there are enough posts here (or on the old site) that will put you straight.

Oh go on then,,,

It's not a detuned Tcat motor and was the same through 1998 to the end of the fox eye, they're not R6 brakes (they're from the R1, and were fitted from day 1 of the Box-eye (my 1998 has them))

What you do have, is adjustable forks (they went on in 2000, still in box-eye days), a bigger fuel tank (I think that also changed in 2000, and then got bigger again with the fox eye), different (lower I think) pillion footrests, and I think, a slightly different swing arm (although might be making that up!)

All errors and inconsistencies are purely the result of not paying much attention to what I'm typing ;)

Thanks for being gentle with me rich ;)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 July 2012, 09:22:15 pm »
The swinging arm possibly did change as the huggers if I remember correctly fit up to 02 and then 02 onwards as the mountings changed.
Andy :)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2012, 09:28:43 pm »
That's it Andy, knew there was something about the swinging arm! cheers! :)