Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:11 am

Author Topic: Different headlights for 03 Fazer  (Read 3016 times)

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Different headlights for 03 Fazer
« on: 16 August 2012, 02:15:58 pm »
Hello

I'd like to slightly improve headlights (and maybe later tail lights) of my Fazer.
I'd like them to retain stock look of the headlights with maybe modernized internals, such as lenses with ordinary bulbs or maybe even xenons, but xenons require lenses anyway.
I tried searching for something like that but didn't find anything, maybe you have some suggestions?
I must say that I don't like mods that require changing of the front mask or any drastic alterations to the bike whatsoever, so basically I'm searching for something nearest to stock look..

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Different headlights for 03 Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
If you're looking to keep the stock look then I'm not sure how you can change the lenses. The lens is shaped to fit so it would be hard to change it for something else no? With regards swapping the bulbs: The 03 came with two H4's that run together on both dip and main. The way I understand it, most (all?) HID kits are single only. This means you'll need one for dip and one for main. It could work but I'm not sure how, someone will be along shortly who has done this mod. Legality wise it's a bit of a grey area with HIDs too. Retrofits may not pass future MOT laws so this is something to consider before snipping your wiring loom to bits.

I always found the foxeye with a good pair of quality H4's very good!

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2012, 07:55:55 pm »
That's my thought exactly.
We got enough junk tuners here who put HIDs on non-lens headlights and it just blinds everyone, neither is pretty nor functional. It wouldn't pass technical examination either.
I agree, lenses + H4s is the way, but also if possible, lenses+HIDs - why not ?
The problem is finding adequate lenses :(

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2012, 10:00:27 pm »
What do you mean when you say "lenses"? To me it means the refecting part at the back of the unit.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2012, 11:43:25 pm »
Sorry, english is not my primary language.
By lenses I mean the lens-type headlights.
This is exactly what I'd like to have, just shown on the E-class Mercedes here:
Stock headlight:

Aftermarket modified:

Then you're free to put in regular H4s or HIDs...
« Last Edit: 16 August 2012, 11:43:58 pm by Freza »

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2012, 10:20:28 am »
Ah I see now. Back in the 1990's, most cars (in the uk anyway) had lamps like first photo. A parabolic mirror with a filter in front to create the correct beam pattern. In the 2000's cars and bikes started to do away with the filters and create the beam pattern using complex mirror lenses behind the bulb with clear front glass, just like the left lamp on the bottom picture and just like the late FZS's. This gives a greater light output. Recently the trend is to use "projector" style lamps, with ground glass lenses like pictured. I've never seen any aftermarket projector conversions for the foxeyes myself.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2012, 04:57:03 pm »
The H4 HID that I got was a single 'capsule' mounted on a solenoid rocker that waggled it up and down to achieve low/high beam.

It was £20 direct from china on Ebay and it is rather good.
It was a drop-in fit for the H4 socket (The H1s on Mk1 Fazers are never a drop-in fit cos there's a bulb-carrier)

If you make a note of the beam pattern before you fit it and wind the new beam pattern down to match it then you won't blind everyone else.
Mind you, it will (should) fail MOT in that condition. :eek

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2012, 06:53:28 pm »
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly Major Rant.
Basically, it's like a stock light, just HID, on a rocker system to achieve low/high beam ?
I'm not really a fan of that :/

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
That's right ... its a single HID on a rocker.

They all do it that way (or move the lens) because a HID is basically an 'arc light' in a controlled atmosphere and its 'startup time' (time to full brightness) is about 5 seconds.

So to achieve a rapid transfer from dip to full beam you have to move either the bulb or the lens.

Google "Bi-xenon" for more information.

When mine arrived I didn't believe it, so I took it apart and found ........A solenoid!!   :eek
Then I looked closely and discovered there was only 1 capsule. Then it all became obvious.

Now I have 2X Chinese HIDS on my Mk1 Fazer and its Bloody marvellous. It adds a whole new dimension to night riding.
Previously I have seen rows of reflective bollards as faint yellow things.
Now I see them and think ..."Which fool put a row of bright white lights THERE?! ... Ah!

Basically, I can now see where the edge of the road is.
Before, I was feeling in the dark at any speed over 60 despite having modified it to have 2X Halogen main beams.

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2012, 08:03:22 am »
Here is an interesting thing for you to consider. i ran a 17amp wire from my battery to the headlight relay on my foxeye. Removing the red/yellow wire from the relay and plugging in the 17amp wire in its place and i got Good standard headlights on my fazer. Tape up the end of the red/yellow  wire as it runs other bits on the bike. This wire is not up to the task its designed to do. if you live in the kent area i will help you.

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2012, 08:49:56 am »
This is a direct replacement HID for an H4 headlight bulb this one uses a solenoid controlled sliding mask to obtain dipped beam
Link :- https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70564722/H4.JPG
ATB YFM

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2012, 10:56:22 pm »
I think you'll find that the "sliding mask" is in fact fixed (looks like its screwed to the locating ring.

Its the HID capsule that waggles up and down.

Aside from the metal shroud (which is intended to change the beam pattern and prevent oncoming drivers looking directly at the HID, I think) that looks exactly the same as the
£18 chinese special that I got off ebay.