Date: 19-04-24  Time: 16:30 pm

Author Topic: Oxford hot grips, wiring in  (Read 2518 times)

Sinbad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Oxford hot grips, wiring in
« on: 07 August 2012, 12:02:04 pm »
Hi, in advance.

I am looking for some advice. I have bought some Oxford hot grips to fit to my 2002 FZS600. Ideally I would like to have them switched so they cannot beleft on when the ignition is off but do not know where best to connect them. Have read Alot that says not to splice into lighting circuits etc., some am looking at using a piggyback fuze connector. Has anypone used one of these, and are they safe? Or do you have any other suggestions for connecting the grips?

Thanks in advance.

Gromit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford hot grips, wiring in
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2012, 07:02:49 pm »
Ive always piggy backed off lighting circuits where possible

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2012, 07:11:19 pm »
use the lighting circuit and use a relay,that way you should be safe,get a multimeter to be safe so you can confirm the wire you are looking at is only live when the ignition is on

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2012, 07:41:04 pm »
I soldered mine onto the positive buzbar on the under side of the fuse box.
Search the old forum for the guide with added pics.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2012, 07:50:52 pm »
use the lighting circuit and use a relay,that way you should be safe,get a multimeter to be safe so you can confirm the wire you are looking at is only live when the ignition is on
+1 ;) ....every set of grips i`ve fitted in the past ( it`s a lot believe me ) have been done this way with no issues to date................ever 8)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2012, 09:32:44 pm »
Mine are piggybacked from the 10A lighting fusebox fuse with one of these.  The 5A fuses don't fit in these as they're too small so there's a 10A in the tap and a 5A in series to protect the grips. 

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2012, 01:18:34 pm »
On the bike when I bought it :
  • main power direct from the battery, inline fuse, to a relay (just hanging loose under the tank!)
  • switched power is from the rear brake switch line (brown). They'd just melted a bit of the sleeving and soldered the new wire in line and covered with insulation tape.
I will be making some improvements in the near future...

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2012, 08:37:32 am »
Hot grips have a 4 amp draw current. So direct from the battery with a relay is always a good idea. The wire your looking for is a big fat brown/blue wire in the box under the tank. To power the relay then to ground from the relay ( I used a tag terminal on the coil mounting plate ). The relay i used was a 30 amp foglight relay from a vauxhall cavalier its tiny enough to sit in the box with the wiring. now my fingers are toastie on cold days. Im on my second set of hot grips on my fazer. I wore the old ones away to the element never once have they failed on me because of the wiring.  Hope this helps.