Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:52 pm

Author Topic: Clutch switch diode missing?  (Read 1680 times)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Clutch switch diode missing?
« on: 20 July 2012, 01:16:27 pm »
I stalled my '03 600 yesterday (only for the 2nd time in 4 months I'm pleased to say) and found that I couldn't start in 1st gear, even with the clutch pulled in.  After a lot of faffing around I found it was an issue with a dirty clutch switch so all is now good in that respect. 

However, in my investigations I also checked for the diode (as per Haynes I removed tank, unbolted wire harness and displaced) but it's not there, there's nothing "wrapped up in insulating tape".  All I could see were the wires for the coils, the fuel gauge sensor and the fuel pump but no diode.

Anyone else have one on a 02/03?  Everything's working fine now but I just want to know where it is!!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch switch diode missing?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2012, 04:36:24 pm »
I doubt it'll be "wrapped up in insulating tape" (I haven't got the book or wiring diagrams for the FZS, only the later FZ6), but whats more likely is all your "interlock" (clutch / neutral / sidestand switch) diodes will come into one connection point / box (starter cut off relay?) and the diodes will be in there to keep them out of harms way.

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2012, 09:04:27 am »
I believe its in the multirelay under the left side panel next to the flasher relay. The multirelay controls the starting system and the petrol pump. Hope this helps.

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2012, 11:13:32 am »
I've been studding the Haynes wiring diagram over the past few days to fix a starting problem and have found the diagram, at least in my book, to be incorrect. The starting circuit cutoff relay (the large black relay under the left seat panel) is different on the 03 model, different code, has more pins and different colored wiring. They MAY have incorporated the diode into this.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2012, 11:14:04 am by peteski »