Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:03 pm

Author Topic: Fuel tank breather hoses missing?  (Read 6971 times)

lolliver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fuel tank breather hoses missing?
« on: 24 June 2012, 11:57:28 am »
Hi all!

I've bought myself an old 1998 FZS600 as a project bike. When I lifted the tank up yesterday I noticed that the breather hoses are missing, and the bits that they'd normally connect to are dry as a bone and quite rusty. Should I be concerned about this?

Also, whilst I'm on a roll  :D the engine on my bike seems to have suffered the famous engine-paint-flaking problem that I'd read about. Do you guys have any suggestion on the best sort of paint to replace the stuff that's flaked off?

I read somewhere about Hammerite Smooth black paint.. Dunno if this is a silly idea though!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank breather hoses missing?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2012, 08:46:30 pm »
an old 98  :eek :eek :eek .............excuse me but i have one of them   :rollin
One, is never going to be enough.....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2012, 08:49:00 pm »
ignore red, it`s `that` time. loads on here use bbq paint ( wilko`s tend to be the shop of choice not halfrauds ).

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2012, 09:07:43 pm »
ignore red, it`s `that` time. loads on here use bbq paint ( wilko`s tend to be the shop of choice not halfrauds ).

no no no.......not halfrauds  :eek
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2012, 09:30:15 pm »
Hi all!

I've bought myself an old 1998 FZS600 as a project bike. When I lifted the tank up yesterday I noticed that the breather hoses are missing, and the bits that they'd normally connect to are dry as a bone and quite rusty. Should I be concerned about this?

Ideally they should be replaced. One of them is for fuel overfill and you don't really want any to risk fuel accidentally dripping down on to the hot engine whilst its between your legs!  :eek

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2012, 09:36:42 pm »
Hi all!

Ideally they should be replaced. One of them is for fuel overfill and you don't really want any to risk fuel accidentally dripping down on to the hot engine whilst its between your legs!  :eek
Where should the other end of the pipes go?  Mine's the same you see...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2012, 11:44:49 am »
They don't attach to anything else, they are used to safely divert any fluid to the outside world. Mine are routed to the right of the bike (if you are sat on it), down past the crank case(?) and to the floor.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2012, 12:03:20 pm »
was this design changed at all on later bikes? as mine is a 2003 and doesnt have breather pipes connected but when the tank is lowered the two bits where the pipes would connect to go into 1 quite large oval shaped rubber/plastic piece that feeds it away from the engine.
does this sound like anyone elses or am i or my bike just weird?? :rolleyes

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2012, 12:13:43 pm »
was this design changed at all on later bikes? as mine is a 2003 and doesnt have breather pipes connected but when the tank is lowered the two bits where the pipes would connect to go into 1 quite large oval shaped rubber/plastic piece that feeds it away from the engine.
I think that's correct, although no idea when it was changed.  Mine on the other hand has no funnel or pipes, think I'd better get a couple of hoses on there to be on the safe side.

lolliver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2012, 01:11:09 pm »
Hi all! Cheers for the replies.  :)

Popped down to Wilkinsons yesterday and picked up some gloss black paint to put on woodburners. I put it on the engine and it looks great this morning! Chuffed to bits with that.

When I said an 'old fzs600' what I should've said was "the previous owner didn't look after her very well".  :lol

Regarding the breather hose ports on the tank, sounds like I should get some hose on there asap!

Cheers for all of the help guys. When I finish repainting the tank/plastics I'll get some pics up.

Ollie

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2012, 01:34:48 pm »
Hi all! Cheers for the replies.  :)

Popped down to Wilkinsons yesterday and picked up some gloss black paint to put on woodburners. I put it on the engine and it looks great this morning! Chuffed to bits with that.

When I said an 'old fzs600' what I should've said was "the previous owner didn't look after her very well".  :lol

Regarding the breather hose ports on the tank, sounds like I should get some hose on there asap!

Cheers for all of the help guys. When I finish repainting the tank/plastics I'll get some pics up.

Ollie
..SAID IT ONCE AND ILE SAY IT AGAIN?>>ADE THE BLADE IS THE MAN!!!!HE MAY BE OLD BUT HE KNOWS HIS STUFF ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) >>> :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2012, 05:23:32 pm »
yes i got year 2000 and it has say as panthor so i guess in 2000 they change it  :eek

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2012, 05:45:36 pm »
por 15 engine enamel would be ideal. A little more expensive than your average paint but longevity and resilience is superb

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2012, 11:22:20 pm »
yes i got year 2000 and it has say as panthor so i guess in 2000 they change it  :eek

Correct. The 2000 model onwards has the change. It makes lifting the tank easier and eliminates the risk of kinking the pipes when lowing the tank back into position. As some have found out kinking the breather pipes can make you think your running out of fuel as the tank builds up a vacuum.