Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:34 am

Author Topic: track days  (Read 1795 times)

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
track days
« on: 25 June 2012, 10:36:15 pm »
i weigh 12 stone and will be taking my bike on a track day event. i have had my forks renewed by mct. so they are good.  am i right in thinking that for the rear when i go to brands hatch. all i have to do is put spring on the hardest setting so the bike holds the track firm

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
Re: track days
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2012, 10:47:11 pm »
and learn to hang off cos the pegs hit the deck quickly.

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
will have trouble hanging off. i sprained my knee yesterday. i wana get suspention right so i dont come off and make it worse

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2012, 07:42:53 am »
Brands is an ace circuit, if it's your first go on one you'll spend most of it learning to use all the road. I'd say make sure your tyres are ok and pressure's right, I believe they should be a bit less psi for proper track use as they will be running hotter so the air expands, I'd imagine someone on here'd know what to run them at all depends how fast you aim to be going tho'. And brakes should be in top nick too, if you've the funds/time some new pads and fluid in the front if they've not been done for a while, SBS pads, are fab' I think.....
Just go out an enjoy it, it's addictive tho'

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2012, 02:34:52 pm »
what a day. i took 4 pain killers. went on track following people round looking at there bikes leaning right over was really weird. then i loose em on the straight. some of the faster bikes cant go round the corners as fast as my fazer 600. only wanted to do about 90mph on the straights. 1 guy smashed up his hire bike.  another guy went past me on the straight. took the hair pin bend then lost it and got took away in a ambulance with back, neck, leg done in.  some bloke died. not while i was on track and went round in a coffin on the bike. arranged with brands hatch and family. then my mate stacked it and i thort. sod this. i am off home b4 i bust my other leg. its great fun learnt a lot about lean angles and grip. just wish the novice group was just that. instead it was ridesr that shud have been in the next group up, but dont want to be the slowest. thats what they was all telling me.

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2012, 07:48:03 pm »
Wow - props to you mate, helluva first day! Wonder if I'll ever have the balls to take my Fazer on the track... :eek

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2012, 08:13:29 pm »
Did MCT respring your forks or do anything with the damping?

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2012, 09:25:48 am »
Well done matey! Those "faster" bikes need faster riders, anyone can twist the throttle on a straight. A for Spoonlamp, go for it!

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2012, 02:20:23 pm »
Did MCT respring your forks or do anything with the damping?

£300 new springs changed oil. cut something off the front. made a hell of a differance. my rear has done 25,000 miles on same springs. i told my mates that was on track with me. about the guy in front leaning right over. i was gob smacked at the angle of his bike. then wen it slid away. i realised i was doing the same thing. my mates was laughin wen i told them and they sed yes we know spider we was filliming you.  i swear it was not me. i dont ride like that on the road. grit, cars, people, oil, blind spots blah blah. i think adrenaline takes over while looking for the turning point.