Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:17 am

Author Topic: Temperamental tail brake light...  (Read 1130 times)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Temperamental tail brake light...
« on: 03 June 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
Afternoon...

I checked my rear brake light this morning and something's wrong.   The lever gives a "click" as if the microswitch is opening but the tail light doesn't immediately turn on, it's only when I squeeze a good 2cm past the "click" does it come to life.  What's more worrying is that it doesn't come at all in 1 out of 4 squeezes  :eek 

I'm guessing the light is meant to come on at the "click"?  The rear pedal works fine BTW and activates the light straight away.

Microswitch problems?  I might take it out and give it a clean when it stops raining on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2012, 08:07:27 pm by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Temperamental tail brake light...
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2012, 07:55:24 pm »
The microswitch will be corroded and needs replacement. I know because mine just failed an MOT and no amount of WD40 helped. The mechanism still worked but when I removed and split open the insides were completely corroded and oxidised beyond repair.

The good news is that a replacement cost less than a fiver from Ebay, is easy as pie to fit (1 screw holds the switch in place) and it did the trick perfectly :thumbup
« Last Edit: 03 June 2012, 07:57:49 pm by Bracechenko »

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Temperamental tail brake light...
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2012, 08:03:37 pm »
I would go with the replacement plan. I got an led rear light and had the same problem  changed it and job done.