Date: 26-04-24  Time: 15:46 pm

Author Topic: Lifting fuel tank  (Read 4112 times)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Lifting fuel tank
« on: 31 May 2012, 01:25:58 pm »
2000 MK1, when lifting the tank, i.e. only removing the front bolt, should the tank be prevented from tilting back too far?

I ask, as I was taking a look around on my recent purchase, there was some resistance as I got it lifted about 90 degrees, then something gave, and it swung back and laid on the seat.  I then found I couldn't swing it back without removing the long pivot bolt.

There seemed to be a lot of movement from the mounting rubber, which may or may not have contributed, but I wanted to find out how it is *supposed* to work before I  A, worry or B, try to do something about it.

Thanks,

Jamie

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Lifting fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
I tend to not lift mine more than 45 degrees, if you need more than that to work underneath it, it's safer to just take the tank off.
There is a bit of movement in the rubber mount as it's a shock absorber.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 04:52:57 pm »
Should swing right round providing you remove the seat/wires

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2012, 07:06:25 pm »
Hmm, interesting... Ever since ive had mine I can't push the tank past a 70-80 degree lift (which i'd never want to exceed). Realistically, you shouldn't especially if it has fuel in it. If the fuel gets to the top lid, you run the risk of it flowing out the overfill / breather hole  :eek (right??)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 09:08:04 pm »
ok....this might sound a bit silly.....have you disconnected the two breather tubes on the bottom of the tank ?
 once you have removed the front bolt just slacken the rear one to allow it to move,lift the tank to about 20/30 degrees and this will give you enough room to release the breather tubes you can then lift the tank a bit more and then disconnect the wireing for the petrol gauge,tank should go to 90 degrees but as already said not when the tank is full  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2012, 09:31:23 pm »
ok....this might sound a bit silly.....have you disconnected the two breather tubes on the bottom of the tank ?
 once you have removed the front bolt just slacken the rear one to allow it to move,lift the tank to about 20/30 degrees and this will give you enough room to release the breather tubes you can then lift the tank a bit more and then disconnect the wireing for the petrol gauge,tank should go to 90 degrees but as already said not when the tank is full  :)
last time i lifted the tank 20-30 degrees and slid my hand under, a baby conger took 2 of me fingers clean off !! :rolleyes

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2012, 08:59:14 am »

Not silly no, as this all new to me.  When I last had bikes 15 years ago, I didn't do any maintenance myself, whereas now I do everything. 

There were no tubes (apart from the feed line), which I did think was a bit odd.  Just two pipe ends on the bottom of the tank.  I guess I need to work out what needs finding/replacing.

Realistically, you shouldn't especially if it has fuel in it. If the fuel gets to the top lid, you run the risk of it flowing out the overfill / breather hole  :eek (right??)

That will explain the small leakage I had when I tipped the tank back again.  :\

Lesson learnt. I'll take it off properly from now on.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2012, 09:05:31 am by Jamieg285 »

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2012, 09:23:13 am »
I find that the tank won't go more than 45degrees without putting pressure on the long bolt mounting - but by that stage it's pulling on the fuel level wire which needs to be unconnected.

If I need it to stay up whilst I work I attach a strong bungee chord to the front bolt hole of the tank and strap it back to near where the tool kit is kept under the seat, and also attach a weak bungee from the front bolt hole to the front of the bike to stop it twisting over and spilling fuel out of the top.
#Driven by the irony that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free.#

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2012, 08:17:37 pm »

Not silly no, as this all new to me.  When I last had bikes 15 years ago, I didn't do any maintenance myself, whereas now I do everything. 

There were no tubes (apart from the feed line), which I did think was a bit odd.  Just two pipe ends on the bottom of the tank.  I guess I need to work out what needs finding/replacing.

Realistically, you shouldn't especially if it has fuel in it. If the fuel gets to the top lid, you run the risk of it flowing out the overfill / breather hole  :eek (right??)

That will explain the small leakage I had when I tipped the tank back again.  :\

Lesson learnt. I'll take it off properly from now on.

There should be two black rubber pipes connecting to those two pipe ends. Either they were lose and got pulled off when you raised the tank, or they have run off somewhere... It would be advisable to get them replaced as they allow the fluids (fuel or water depending) to be safely distributed to the outside world instead of leaking all over the innerds of yourbike. If fuel gets too close to hot parts of the bike, it may ignite and that is very very bad...

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2012, 11:54:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure that my tank (2000 model) does not have any tubes attached to the two nippley things. Instead, there is a rubber catch pan (looks like a funnel) fitted directly below where the 2 things would be when the tank is fitted in the normal position. i.e.next to the fuel filter.The rubber catch pan collects any leakage from the tank and funnels it into the overfill/breather pipes. I think it differs amongst the models and some come with two pipes fitted to the tank instead.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2012, 08:42:46 am »
Guess I need to take the tank off and have a proper look.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2012, 11:28:04 am »
I'm pretty sure that my tank (2000 model) does not have any tubes attached to the two nippley things. Instead, there is a rubber catch pan (looks like a funnel) fitted directly below where the 2 things would be when the tank is fitted in the normal position. i.e.next to the fuel filter.The rubber catch pan collects any leakage from the tank and funnels it into the overfill/breather pipes. I think it differs amongst the models and some come with two pipes fitted to the tank instead.

In that case I could very well be wrong  :eek

I have '99 model so this is more than likely on the later models such as the one that Jamieg285 has...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2012, 11:40:21 am »
2000 model onwards both breather & drain outlets plug into catch tray. When you remove seat just slacken rear tank bolt before undoing front one.Tank will then hinge back freely & can either be propped or by turning off fuel tap & disconnecting fuel hose,& fuel level wiring sensor,tank can be removed.Simples!

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2012, 11:46:48 pm »
The thing that broke was most likely the plug for your fuel gauge sender breaking out of the frame just give it a brief look at to make sure none of the wiring is damaged.