Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:30 am

Author Topic: Petrol in Oil  (Read 920 times)

Gilly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha tt350
    • View Profile
Petrol in Oil
« on: 14 June 2022, 09:04:37 am »
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm struggling to find a solution. My bike is a 2002 Fazer 1000 and the other day it started back firing and running very rough at lower revs. I changed the spark plugs as it felt like a misfire but now after a short ride the engine oil seems to be filling up with petrol. it is still running rough and backfiring and also struggling to start. Any ideas where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Andrew

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol in Oil
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2022, 05:15:12 pm »
 Most likely flooding due to the float valve seat O rings in the carb/s leaking, the float bowls are filling up and and the overflowing petrol is running into the cylinders  Common problem on the Fazers as they get older.

Only option is to remove the carbs and change the O rings. Easy enough job with the hardest part being  removing and replacing the carbs. As the carbs are off and open do the main Jet O Ring also

Viton® (FKM) O-Rings are probably best and use seal type Fkm 75 or 80

O Ring sizes are :
Float needle valve: 7.5mm ID x 1.5mm cross section x 10.5mm OD
Main Jet : 5.5mm ID x 1.5mm cross section x 8.5mm OD
These can be bought locally in a Seal suppliersr bearing suppliers and Yamaha do not supply these O Rings

You may have to change the float seal, if so sometimes Suzuki ones are usually cheaper and part number which fits the Fazer 1000 and Fazer 600 is 13258-04F00

The advantage of changing just the O rings is that you don't have to  reset the float heights after since you are refitting the same Needle Valve seat.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2022, 05:15:46 pm by unfazed »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2022, 04:57:56 am »
When the engine backfires it can send fuel backwards into the airbox, which can then run down into the crankcase through the breather hose.

Before pulling the carbs and following Unfazed good advice, I would pull the airbox cover and have a look. Also remove the plug caps (they unscrew) trim back all the plug leads about 1cm and refit or fit new ones.

Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to remove any excess unburnt fuel.

Good luck.

Gilly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha tt350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2022, 10:23:35 am »
Hi both, thank you for advice it is appreciated! i will get her stripped down this weekend and let you know how i get on.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2022, 12:13:33 am »
@ unfazed. That’s an outstanding and thoroughly researched answer, that will no doubt benefit many others on this forum.
Thanks for posting. 👍