Date: 25-04-24  Time: 15:43 pm

Author Topic: Key programming FZ1-S  (Read 1147 times)

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
Key programming FZ1-S
« on: 24 May 2022, 12:19:52 am »
Morning all! Nightshift a tad light so posting this up for help please!
2008 FZ1-s, love it, never fails to induce that Cheshire cat smile!  :D
Only came with 1 red and 1 black key, no probs me thinks, get a spare black one on-line, and use the DIY programming procedure.
Well, procedure works, but will only allow 1 black key, either one, to be recognised, the other will spin it but not fire it up!
Same with either black key.
Popped into local dealer, CMC Cannock, and the service lad said "you still got the missing black key programmed in the ECU, max of 2 keys, that's why a second cant be programmed"!
Logical when you know how!  :\
BUT.....can I find how to delete keys from the ECU? Told me it can be done DIY, didn't say how tho'!  :'(
So, can anyone out there advise how to delete all keys from the ECU so I can start again and have 2 working black one's?
TIA - Dick Snow.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Key programming FZ1-S
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2022, 08:49:48 am »
As far as I am aware, the ECU design only allows for 2 working keys, which is one red and one black. Therefore if you program a second black key it disables the first black one.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2022, 09:02:50 am »
As far as I am aware, the ECU design only allows for 2 working keys, which is one red and one black. Therefore if you program a second black key it disables the first black one.

Correct  :)

Look here https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26347.0 and here https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26344.0
« Last Edit: 25 May 2022, 09:12:58 am by Gnasher »
Later

SmuttyHutty

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2022, 05:15:03 pm »
Morning all! Nightshift a tad light so posting this up for help please!
2008 FZ1-s, love it, never fails to induce that Cheshire cat smile!  :D
Only came with 1 red and 1 black key, no probs me thinks, get a spare black one on-line, and use the DIY programming procedure.
Well, procedure works, but will only allow 1 black key, either one, to be recognised, the other will spin it but not fire it up!
Same with either black key.
Popped into local dealer, CMC Cannock, and the service lad said "you still got the missing black key programmed in the ECU, max of 2 keys, that's why a second cant be programmed"!
Logical when you know how!  :\
BUT.....can I find how to delete keys from the ECU? Told me it can be done DIY, didn't say how tho'!  :'(
So, can anyone out there advise how to delete all keys from the ECU so I can start again and have 2 working black one's?
TIA - Dick Snow.

Not sure the dealer is totally right.

I had precisely the same issue - came with 1 red and 1 black and I had another black made and followed the procedure and had exactly the same as you. As soon as I mad eone black one live, the other one died.....until I stumbled over this link: https://netrider.net.au/threads/yamaha-mt-07-programming-multiple-black-keys.272905/

And now I have 1 red and 2 black and all three work.

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2022, 11:57:43 am »
Mutts Nutts Sir!
Got a move on doing the black keys and like yourself, I now have 1 red & 2 black keys fully working!
Great knowledge hub this 'ere forum!
Thanks guys!

Dick Snow.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2022, 12:48:18 pm »
Result  :)

It sometimes depends on the bikes specs, e.g. some markets allow for this and things like changing to speedo from KMP the MPH, on R1/FZ1s.  Others don't, it's also possible that brinicles are fitted from a country that doesn't allow changes, this is due to parts bin availability at the factory.

You won't know until you try it, in your case you've got away with it.   8)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2022, 12:49:26 pm by Gnasher »
Later