Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:11 pm

Author Topic: Reshimming Valves - almost done but a couple of issues  (Read 1076 times)

CountFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Reshimming Valves - almost done but a couple of issues
« on: 19 February 2022, 01:22:34 pm »
Hi all,

I've been getting stuck into a valve clearance check and reshimming. It's nearly all done but I'm having a couple of issues with reassembly and timing.

First, the front cam chain guide. Can this be inserted/removed with the camshafts already bolted down? In the Haynes manual the guide goes in after the camshafts are secured, and before the cam chain tensioner is put in. But, I cannot for the life of me work out a way to fit it in without removing the exhaust camshaft to make some space.

Second, valve timing. My timing looks slightly out at the moment, especially looking at the intake timing. I've attached some photos of the datum - maybe the timing is fine, so I just want to hear some thoughts on it.

https://imgur.com/zx1WMDR
https://imgur.com/2KcCVsV
https://imgur.com/GuLgj0f

Also, will putting the front guide in alter the location of the timing datum? Just trying to work out if I should factor this in when correcting timing.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 February 2022, 01:28:01 pm by CountFazer »

CountFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Reshimming Valves - almost done but a couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2022, 12:00:02 am »
Update: just redid my timing. This time it was further out but on the other side of the datum. So it looks like to was right before. So I assume it was only slightly out before due to cam chain wear

CountFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2022, 12:52:51 am »
Need some opinions now. So what I’ve done to correct the timing without taking the cam caps off was the following:
1. Remove tensioner
2. Make some slack on exhaust side and move the chain along one tooth for both cam shafts (this is what was needed)
3. Take up slack on exhaust side of cam chain
4. Install cam chain tensioner and turn crank shaft
5. Check tensioner is at same notch as before - being at the same notch indicates I take side of cam chain is tensioned to the same degree as before therefore there is no slack remaining on exhaust side.

I know that I should’ve remove the cam shaft caps and reset timing that way but I was hoping for a faster work around.

Is it possible that there’s still slack on the exhaust side of the cam chain? Is what I’ve done supremely dodgy? It’d be good to hear some thoughts.

« Last Edit: 20 February 2022, 12:58:59 am by CountFazer »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2022, 02:45:25 pm »
Update: just redid my timing. This time it was further out but on the other side of the datum. So it looks like to was right before. So I assume it was only slightly out before due to cam chain wear
You are correct! The timing is out slightly due to Cam Chain wear, but not out sufficiently to warrant changing the cam chain