Date: 25-04-24  Time: 17:08 pm

Author Topic: Drink Driving Ban  (Read 1856 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Drink Driving Ban
« on: 01 September 2021, 06:32:26 pm »
Right, so today I've been banned for 12 months reduced to 9 (attend a course). I blew 41mg after going to fetch my son who was having a panic attack. I know there's no excuse for drink driving but when your lad is in trouble then that's all most people think about - just jumped in the car and went. Was caught due to a wanker Audi driver at a width restriction.....blew the N/S rear tyre then at the next roundabout there they were - no place to change tyre prior. Still no excuse I know.

The thing is, I have no other way to get to work so am seriously considering "chancing it" on the bike.

The question is......Does anyone know what the consequences are for driving whilst disqualified.

Please - no "Holier than thou" comments......I know drink driving is serious but sometimes a need to provide is strong. FYI - 38yrs with a clean licence.

As always, any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Drink Driving Ban
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2021, 06:45:07 pm »
Well I'm my local paper a guy has just been sentenced to time inside for drink driving and driving with no insurance while banned.  Obviously yours wouldn't all be at once but still a chance you could end up with a small amount of jail time should you be caught, especially if the judge on the day is a dick. Add to that you would have your bike taken and destroyed and likely your name plastered I  the local paper.
Its a lot to risk tbh

Obviously your bike insurance is now void so you would need someone else to insure it for you. I'd maybe try asking an extremely good and understanding friend if they would "buy" it from you, insure it (at your cost of course) and then let you use it on the understanding that if your caught you will say you took it without consent. Obviously worse for you if you get pulled but tbh if you ride sensibly then there's no reason to get pulled. I haven't in over 20 years of riding 🤷‍♂️

End of the day your an adult and know the consequences of your actions so nobody here can help you weigh the risks. Either way good luck and I'm sorry to hear how things have gone thus far 

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2021, 06:55:43 pm »
Sounds like you were just unlucky to get caught on that particular day, going to the aid of your son.
BUT if it was me i definitely wouldn't chance driving or riding anything else until the ban is up. just not worth it mate
Get the bus to work, a cab,a lift from a friend or get a pushbike

At the end of the day if your son had another panic attack you wouldn't be able to help if your locked up

Good luck

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2021, 07:08:15 pm »
Well I'm my local paper a guy has just been sentenced to time inside for drink driving and driving with no insurance while banned.  Obviously yours wouldn't all be at once but still a chance you could end up with a small amount of jail time should you be caught, especially if the judge on the day is a dick. Add to that you would have your bike taken and destroyed and likely your name plastered I  the local paper.
Its a lot to risk tbh

Obviously your bike insurance is now void so you would need someone else to insure it for you. I'd maybe try asking an extremely good and understanding friend if they would "buy" it from you, insure it (at your cost of course) and then let you use it on the understanding that if your caught you will say you took it without consent. Obviously worse for you if you get pulled but tbh if you ride sensibly then there's no reason to get pulled. I haven't in over 20 years of riding 🤷‍♂️

End of the day your an adult and know the consequences of your actions so nobody here can help you weigh the risks. Either way good luck and I'm sorry to hear how things have gone thus far

Cheers fella, sound advice - but if you get caught DD whilst disqualified then you're asking for jail time imo. I DO have a good friend who would "do me a favour" - on the understanding that he is clean and unaware.

I do however know that I couldn't do jail time.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2021, 07:11:41 pm »
Sounds like you were just unlucky to get caught on that particular day, going to the aid of your son.
BUT if it was me i definitely wouldn't chance driving or riding anything else until the ban is up. just not worth it mate
Get the bus to work, a cab,a lift from a friend or get a pushbike

At the end of the day if your son had another panic attack you wouldn't be able to help if your locked up

Good luck

Cheers fella.......Unlucky is definitely how I see it.............but the need to provide is strong. I don't want to risk it but I cannot do buses or trains/underground (into and around London - Claustrophobic). 50 mile round trip.

Your comment hits hard btw "At the end of the day if your son had another panic attack you wouldn't be able to help if your locked up"

Thanks

« Last Edit: 01 September 2021, 07:31:05 pm by Frosties »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
Dont risk it. We have probably all driven over the limit unintentionally (following morning etc) in the past so none of us are better than everyone else unless you are strictly teetotal. 

Driving whilst disqualified, driving without a licence, driving without insurance plus whatever the reason they actually give you the (unlikely) tug for could mean a very hefty fine, a proper record rather than just driving offences (and possibly jail time if the judge didnt get his leg over that morning), and the prospect of not getting a job/mortgage etc you want/need in the future should be enough to make you cycle to the station and get the train however awkward it actually is. Being banned is meant to be punishment after all.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2021, 08:08:25 pm »
Dont risk it. We have probably all driven over the limit unintentionally (following morning etc) in the past so none of us are better than everyone else unless you are strictly teetotal. 

Driving whilst disqualified, driving without a licence, driving without insurance plus whatever the reason they actually give you the (unlikely) tug for could mean a very hefty fine, a proper record rather than just driving offences (and possibly jail time if the judge didnt get his leg over that morning), and the prospect of not getting a job/mortgage etc you want/need in the future should be enough to make you cycle to the station and get the train however awkward it actually is. Being banned is meant to be punishment after all.

Even though I can't forget the CBF thou I bought from you  :lol     I think you've convinced me Bob. The final voice of reason I think (ya bastid :lol ) !!!!     Right...so the limit for an electric bike is 250W/ 12.5mph.......but I have a friend who's fitted a 1kW motor to his Mountain bike..........the bloody thing pops wheelies and hits 35 - 40mph :eek . As a "cyclist" - no rules apply right ???

This is plan #2.......... any legal implications ???
« Last Edit: 01 September 2021, 08:18:48 pm by Frosties »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2021, 08:48:45 pm »
Good you appear to have seen sense - I forgot to add that whist getting insurance after a ban will cost more, its still possible. Getting insurance after being done for driving with no insurance gets very difficult and very expensive very quickly.

With regard to electric bikes - get on the faceache group and ask Colin Macguire about his one.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2021, 09:00:33 pm »
I've normally not much sympathy for D.D. but under the circumstances what you did is understandable, and unfortunately you've been very unlucky. I get the impression you are not keen on becoming a pure cyclist so in the absence of suitable public transport the electric bike option sounds like a reasonable alternative. I've occasionally used a cheap early electric bike and it does take the pain of cycling up hills away. Good luck with whatever you decide and looking for a positive when the nine months is up we will be at the start of summer.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2021, 10:07:10 am »
I have a friend who's fitted a 1kW motor to his Mountain bike..........the bloody thing pops wheelies and hits 35 - 40mph [/size] :eek . As a "cyclist" - no rules apply right ???

A guy I know got his scooter confiscated (£150 to get it back plus £50 a day "storage") for riding on the road plus a £300 fine because he was riding it on the road which isn't legal.

Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

So if you get caught on one like that and they find out about the DD conviction...

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

As a cyclist, rules *do* apply...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2021, 01:57:47 pm »
I have a friend who's fitted a 1kW motor to his Mountain bike..........the bloody thing pops wheelies and hits 35 - 40mph  :eek . As a "cyclist" - no rules apply right ???

A guy I know got his scooter confiscated (£150 to get it back plus £50 a day "storage") for riding on the road plus a £300 fine because he was riding it on the road which isn't legal.

Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

So if you get caught on one like that and they find out about the DD conviction...

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

As a cyclist, rules *do* apply...

Many thanks for that advice.....wasn't aware that they get re-classified  :'(