Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:10 am

Author Topic: Boz Boz Build 2.0  (Read 3165 times)

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
Boz Boz Build 2.0
« on: 09 August 2021, 09:23:10 pm »
Hi all! I thought I'd catalogue how this bike build goes, hopefully it'll be as good of a bike as my last!

So currently I've got a piece of rust in bike form on a 99 plate frame, crap paint job and been left standing for too long but it starts... I've already bought a few bits they include a clean hpi 2003 frame with v5 in my name, this will get powder coated then ill transfer everything over. New old stock SS Micron headers and have a foxeye fairing and tank, the fairing is currently fitted to my soon to be sold vtr1000.

Plan is to transfer over everything to the fresh frame and make perfect slowly as I've too many projects and a house refurb to complete but this way I'll keep the missus happy!

Ideas for the new build is fit lighter wheels from an R1 and and R1 2008 USD front end which I've already got and have fit to my previous FZR1000 and current VTR. Powder coat everything eventually and get it wrapped or sprayed maybe matt black.

Current issues I've found:
Tank fuel overflow blocked, now fixed as its left outside in the rain!
Clutch cable was rock solid but now is supper loose and not disengaging the clutch -any ideas welcome! Clutch cable operates the bottom mechanical arm.
Coolant smells and is a bit foamy when bike running again ideas anyone?
Cylinders all run but 1/2 hot with 4 cokder and 3 coldest. Maybe need balance/ clean out. Idle is ok.
Haven't drained oil yet, hoping its not milkshake! Was going to do compression test first, is there a tester on ebay known to work on the spark thread that is reliable?

Jobs this week are to get frame powder coated and hopefully start the strip down. Pics to follow!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Boz Boz Build 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2021, 11:23:25 pm »
With regard to the cylinders running hot, I’d check the carb runners as I’ve just done mine and it was getting quite hot and when I removed them two were cracked all the way though to the inside and one carb had been fitted incorrectly and was pushing the lip of the rubber over. If they suck air after the carb they will pull in unmetered oxygen and run lean, causing overheating.
Coolant would be worth replacing and seeing it it clears up!

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2021, 08:23:36 pm »
I'll be interested in seeing how you progress, I think you nabbed the Micron pipes I was eyeing up!

+1 for the fzs/vtr combo, I have both sitting here as well!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2021, 08:39:32 pm »
Coolant foamy and smells when running combined with the running lumpy/cooler on #3&4 I would be looking at the head gasket.
If the coolant wasnt an issue, I would be looking at blocked jets on #3&4

As for the clutch, pop the cover by th eleft foot peg off and see if the rod is in there and not jammed as well as the cable mechanism.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2021, 11:37:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies and advice people. Good timing as I had a couple of hours today to do a few tests on the bike!

So all 4 cylinders are sparking so no problem there. I've run the carbs dry so will see internals when I start the strip down next weekend.

The clutch looks new, however the push rod and ball bearing were practically welded together and its no longer ball shape so have no idea whats happened there! Needless to say ill replace.

I've drained the oil too, this looked fine! No milkshake. I've still to drain the coolant so fingers crossed! I really don't want to do another head gasket on an engine again...

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2021, 04:13:59 pm »
Bugger. I've fit the engine today with it on the floor and me slotting the freshly powder coated frame over the top. All bolted up only to realise I forgot to put the airbox in the frame first! Is there a way to get the airbox in without removing the engine again?

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2021, 05:21:23 pm »
Bugger. I've fit the engine today with it on the floor and me slotting the freshly powder coated frame over the top. All bolted up only to realise I forgot to put the airbox in the frame first! Is there a way to get the airbox in without removing the engine again?

Update incase anyone else gets in the same situation. You can remove/fit airbox with engine in but you need to split airbox and take off the lid and also the carbs obviously not in and carb rubbers removed from engine!

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2021, 07:14:30 pm »
Good work mate dont forget the pics

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2021, 10:39:28 pm »
So bike pics are as follows: semi stripped down, new powedercoated frame, engine in frame, carbs rebuilt and the SOB carb bolt which put up a fight!

Jobs done so far,

Air filter changed (Pipercross)
New sparkies (NGK)
Carbs new seals, jets and reset pilots to 2.5 turns.
New clutch push rod and ball bearing
New inlet rubbers and bungs
New exhaust studs stainless Steel (2 repaired threads only wahoo!)
K&N oil filter

Question: the tourmax carb rebuild kit, should I be checking float heights and if so how???

Picture to follow of current state....

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2021, 12:02:19 pm »
Still in the kitchen!

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2021, 02:02:04 pm »
Looking good mate

And the kitchen is the best place to do your bike  :lol

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2021, 10:30:23 pm »
Well bike has finally been rolled outside today. Its probably about 60% done! I think a divorce would be likely if it was in there any longer!
Tonight's f$%€ up was me cutting out the two water pipes that feed the oil cooler thinking they come in the silicone hose kit only to realise they don't and they are no longer available on fowlers! Anyone replaced these with standard silicone unmoulded pipe???

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2021, 11:08:29 pm »
Still in the kitchen!

This rings back memories of me stripping down my Cagiva Mito 125 back when i was just a young lad living on my own, I had the rolling frame in my living room and the engine stripped to bits on my kitchen bench, with the cupboards full of parts and the petrol tank etc!!
Awesome times mate haha

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2021, 09:01:32 pm »
So small update as still no decent pic. Its together, MOTd and has been running pretty rubbish for first 500miles!

Cylinder 3 was always colder. So I've replaced ht caps and taken about 25mm off lead. Still same. Checked TPS - way out so now adjusted and sat slap bang on 5k. Still running a bit crap.

Finally tonight I set up my carbtune to balance the bugger. Surprise surprise cylinder 3 way out much much higher. So after adjusting 3 & 4 then 1 & 2 then 1/2 & 3/4 plus a big adjustment for the tickover......its running sweet! O thought it was just less responsive because for so many years I was used to 1000cc bikes and although its not got that endless grunt tge acceleration is do so much better!

Next jobs are to take sodding picture of it, replace the sprocket nut with the upgrade and fit my heated grips and scottoiler.

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2021, 05:01:41 pm »
Here she is! Not 100% finished as I'd like to clean the engine up with a fresh coat of paint and have matching plastics. Today's job was to sort out the 'play' in the front wheel. Needless to say new bearings now installed!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2021, 07:58:53 pm »
Well done getting the running issues sorted, always very satisfying. That's a seriously worn front wheel bearing, no need to spin it and see if it sounds right I guess.  :eek