Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:37 am

Author Topic: Indicators flashing fast when bike is revved  (Read 1177 times)

First time fazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Indicators flashing fast when bike is revved
« on: 30 November 2020, 01:19:06 pm »
Hi all, I'm hoping the people of this amazing forum can help with an ongoing issue I've been having. When the engine is off or at tickover the indicators all flash and normal pace, however once the revs go up they double in speed. All four indicators are standard bulb type, I've checked all fuses and all are good, I'm thinking maybe it could be voltage regulator? This would also explain the early cut in of my cooling fan which I've had for a long time too.. any thoughts or routes to go down would be greatly received.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Indicators flashing fast when bike is revved
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2020, 02:49:26 pm »
Are your lights rising and falling as the revs rise like the indicators is your battery maintaining it's voltage?

If not it's unlikely to be the voltage regulator, it's more than likely a short somewhere in the hazard circuit as it's got a live feed even when the engine is switched off.  The cooling fan cutting in early, is either the thermo fan switch or the thermostat isn't opening causing the bike to run hotter and the fan cutting in.     
Later

First time fazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2020, 03:56:16 pm »
The light does dim a little when revs are low and brightens up when revved. Also with the cooling fan I have tested the thermostat which is opening correctly, also replaced the thermo switch but having the same issue.. my thinking is, if the voltage regulator is bad then will the voltage variants be confusing the thermo switch to read hotter that it is?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2020, 04:17:07 pm »
How much voltage are you getting across the battery when the bike is running? 
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2020, 06:50:39 am »
Check your coolant overflow tank (as soon as possible) and make sure your coolant levels are correct when the bike is cold, or has cooled down.
If you have a clogged up system it will boil the liquid like a kettle would then dump coolant on the floor via the overflow pipe attached to the tank, which might be why your fan keeps coming on.
It's rare for these fans to come on even in summer, but for it to come on in cold weather means something is definitely not right.
A good flowing airtight system will return the coolant back to the same sort of level in the tank every time if all is well. With the bike on the centre stand you can just rock the bike to see if the coolant level is where it should be, and is a quick and easy way to check the health of the system.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.