Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:17 pm

Author Topic: Dog bones for raising  (Read 1668 times)

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dog bones for raising
« on: 18 November 2020, 10:54:23 am »

Hey guys and gals.
I know this has been covered many times as I have been through all the posts on here. PieEater has posted a pic of his 50mm Fazer jack up kit on his bike outside (RAF Wittering) by the looks of things...great pic!
I am 6' and 16 stone......hence the name Lakesandcakes. :rolleyes

I have just bought this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-Yamaha-FZS1000-Fazer-00-05-Jack-Up-Kit-50mm-Dog-Bones-Suspension-Linkages-/223098198337 off thiefbay which says in the description that it will raise the rear end by 50mm. Not received yet.

My question is that all the other pictures (google search) of the 50mm dog bones show them as longer than the 25mm etc etc. I thought the longer the dog bones the lower the bike will be (Seat height) as they sit on a bell crank by the rear shock.

If PieEater is out there did you fit something similar to give your bike the higher back. I know you said it was a 50mm jack up kit but that just confused me even more...…. :\ :\

Any and all advice would be really appreciated!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Dog bones for raising
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2020, 03:03:27 pm »
I've got the 50mm jackup on mine, the only trade off is the rear tyre touches the ground on the centrestand. Other than that, it quickens the steering without effecting high speed stability. I kept the front forks in the stock position in the yokes. One of the cheapest mods with the greatest effect in my opinion.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2020, 03:21:27 pm »

Thanks Robbo.

As these look to be longer Dogs than the 25mm etc I am confused as to whether they will actually lower the ride/seat height.

I guess once I fit them I will know if I got the right ones.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2020, 06:43:04 pm »
It's not the length of the bones that matter but the distance between the holes, the shorter the distance between the holes the higher the back will rise. Theoretically the 50 mm jack up kit could be physically longer if there was more meat around the holes but the holes should be closer together than stock or a 25mm kit, bearing in mind we're only talking a few mm.

The ones you linked to are similar to the ones I bought (also from ebay) so I wouldn't worry too much. When fitting them use a chock under the wheel to raise it up a bit, that will save you wrestling with the assembly when trying to get it back together, and have some grease ready to lube all the roller bearings etc.

As robbo says it's a really good mod which greatly improves the flickability of the bike through the twisties, it also firms up shock compression which will help a lot if you still have the tired old original. I would say the 50mm kit with the forks in the standard position is about the same difference in handling as the 25mm kit with the yoke dropped down the forks by ~15mm, the first option is better for taller riders the second for shorter. Lowering the yoke with the 50mm kit adversely affected the handling at least for me so I wouldn't reccomend it.

Yup it was RAF Wittering, on a visit to my realtives who live just outside Peterborough, here it is with my uncles blade and the harrier.

« Last Edit: 18 November 2020, 07:10:29 pm by PieEater »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2020, 07:38:59 pm »
Don’t you just hate it when you know you’ve got something, but just can’t find it :lol . I thought I’d be able to give some definitive info. I’ll just go in the garage and measure the centre to centre of the holes in the stock and 25mm jack up dog bones that are marked up and taped together in a box full of stock bits and pieces. Do you think I could find them, could I heck. The thought was there though :lol .  PieEater is the man on this subject, as I just copied his set up after posting on this subject a while back. Good luck, it’ll be fine. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 18 November 2020, 08:54:26 pm by robbo »

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2020, 11:26:52 am »
Update.

Just fitted the 50mm jack up kit as per the first post on here and got to say Im chuffed. Piece of wee too.....20 minutes to fit but half of that was getting up and down to move from one side to the other (it takes me a while now Im getting on a bit...lots of Uggggggahhh and huuuutttttt).

Rear wheel just (mm's) off the floor on the centre stand. Just like PieEater says it does lean over more on side stand but as long as the ground is level it fine.

Riding position feel a lot better and if it helps the old girl turn in too its a winner!

Time for a test run now the sun is out for a few hours.

Keep safe everyone.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2020, 06:05:27 pm »
Enjoy and let us know how the test run went  :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2020, 07:51:53 pm »
Forgot to mention the sidestand extra lean, as managed to get a lengthened one when I did mine. Hope you were happy with the test ride.

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2020, 07:30:47 am »
Test ride was great 65 miles over fast roads....(once the cars got out of the way) and very up and down bumpy single lanes over the fells. Im really pleased with the way it handles. Very flickable and even got to the edge of the rear tyre a couple of times. Well chuffed! Ive only got the preload about half way up too so maybe im not as fat as I thought. Sag when I get on is only about 30mm so I recon that's about right.

Time for a quick clean and then away til the sun comes out again.......about March normally.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts guys!