Date: 28-05-24  Time: 10:28 am

Author Topic: Under the Tank.  (Read 847 times)

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Under the Tank.
« on: 09 November 2020, 07:02:41 pm »
I took the tank off for the first time last night, kinda wished I hadn't.  Geez what a lot of c**p there is under there!  No decent access to anything. 
Has anyone, ever, managed to change the #2 and #3 plugs with the engine in situ?!  I looked at the outer ones, using the gadget in the bike tool kit. They seem ok condition/mixture, Iridium type, bit loose in their threads...   So I pondered doing away with the AIS, to make a bit of space, but I can't see how you'd get the main chunk of it out!? 
I suppose I should renew the coolant anyway, and removing the radiator doesn't look too big a deal, maybe then I could check/change the middle two plugs? 
There's a nice clean K and N filter in there, guess I should have checked before ordering a new paper one from Yambits, Doh!
On the outer two carbs (at least), there are no sealing plugs over the idle mixture screws. Were they there as standard on UK bikes?  I wonder if it's been 'got at' already, carb wise.  It did seem to go REALLY well on my shortish test ride...
Brake lines and bleed nipples arrived today, jobs are stacking up, conservatory stinks of petrol already, Mrs on the warpath.  My comment that 'At least the Harley in the lounge doesn't smell' = Wrong answer.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Tank.
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
Have you done a search on here yet for spark plug change? I’m pretty sure that it’s been asked a few times before?

Have you visited “Pats” American site yet as well? Here’s the link......

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

A wealth of information on here. Good luck.

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Tank.
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2020, 09:21:00 pm »
Wow what a fantastic resource!!
Thanks SkidT.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike: