Date: 26-04-24  Time: 10:56 am

Author Topic: ANY COMBI BOILER BODS ON HERE?  (Read 1125 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
ANY COMBI BOILER BODS ON HERE?
« on: 20 April 2020, 10:51:06 am »
Stuck in the house (high risk group) and unable to get someone in I have a small question.
Noticed lately that my boiler seems to be randomly firing up. Just hear the pump start up and run for abot 5 seconds.

Hopefully not a big problem as the boiler is fairly new?
Any ideas???
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: ANY COMBI BOILER BODS ON HERE?
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2020, 11:10:26 am »
 If it’s just once so often, it’s probably firing up to heat the small internal hot water tank.  Mine seems to fire up about once an hour say, and yes when it does this it also runs the central heating pump. 
In my previous house, the combi could be selected as to whether to preheat that small internal tank or not.  The boiler in this house just does it.
You could have a read at the owner’s manual – or phone the manufactures help line.
Plumbers should still be working – but yeah, I know can be hard to get hold of at any time.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2020, 11:16:22 am »
Not a combi boiler bod, but I came across something similar on my own system  recently and it was a faulty Pump Overrun control system. In my case it was the overrun thermostat.
This thermostat stat allows the pump to run for a while after the system turns off to cool the water in the heat exchanger

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2020, 11:43:14 am »
Not a combi boiler bod, but I came across something similar on my own system  recently and it was a faulty Pump Overrun control system. In my case it was the overrun thermostat.
This thermostat stat allows the pump to run for a while after the system turns off to cool the water in the heat exchanger
It maybe just empting the condensate which is s normal boiler function and it does it all the time but you only notice it now because you are at home.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2020, 01:28:20 am »
Mine does the same (Vaillant Ecomax), it's something they do.

They do have a feature where they will switch on regularly to keep an amount of hot water stored internally, but I've turned that off because I can wait 30 seconds for it to warm up if I need it and it saves wasting gas keeping the water warm, especially if you don't use it a lot during the day :thumbup

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2020, 10:06:18 am »
As others have said it is probably the hot water pre-heat system where the heat exchanger within the boiler is kept up to temperature so you get hot water at the tap quicker. My own boiler is a Worcester Bosch and you can turn Eco mode on which stops it doing that, which is what I have done.
The other time it might start on its own when the boiler is turned off is for frost protection below about 8 degrees, but obviously not in this case.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2020, 11:38:57 am »
Chuff me, ours has gone belly up too. It looks like the divertor valve is leaking

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2020, 10:34:32 am »
Thanks guys. As I have lots of time on my hands I weakened and RTFM!!!
In small print it says that the pump will run for 60 seconds a day to prevent seizing. 

Hopefully this is what it is doing but in 5 second runs spread over the day.

And I agree with Fazersharp. There are a lot of things I notice while stuck at home.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!