Date: 29-03-24  Time: 15:21 pm

Author Topic: Water temperature light  (Read 2412 times)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Water temperature light
« on: 13 April 2012, 08:54:03 pm »
This afternoon after a spirited ride we stopped for a few minutes before starting the engine again (FZ6S2) and the temperature warning light came on and the temperature was 116degC.

Luckily the temperature went back to its normal 85-90 straight away as soon as I got going again but I have noticed if I am stuck in traffic on a hot day that it can rise to >105 and the fan doesnt come on- what temperature should the thermostat cut the fan in and does it/ should it also run off the battery so that it will cool the engine with the ingnition off?

Cheers
59 going on 57

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Water temperature light
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 01:31:54 pm »
Firstly - check your coolant level; have you any leaks? Or do your have mayonnaise-like substance in your oil (coolant and oil mixing)?

If that looks ok, check your fan fuse (has it blown?), fan motor (if you can trace the wiring, try and run it straight off the battery, if it runs its ok), fan relay (with ign OFF, brown / black wire should have voltage, red / white wire should have voltage with ign ON). If thats ok, unplug the relay connector, and using a multimeter on ohms, go between the relay brown / black wire and the blue wire (it should show as an "open circuit", ie no continuity). If thats ok, then put 12v (battery) positive (+) to red / white wire and battery negative (-) to the green / yellow terminal - the relay should click (you'll hear it), and your meter should show 0 (zero) ohms (if it does, the relay works). If the relay shows no reading all the time (ie your fan never works), or 0 ohms all the time (fan always on), the relay is knackered.

If the fan and relay are both ok, check the coolant temperature sensor: place it in water / coolant with a thermometer, and you should get the following readings: at 0C - 5.21 - 6.37 K ohms, 10c - about 4K ohm, 20c - about 3K ohm, 80c - 290ohm-350ohm.

If you aren't sure about electrical testing / don't have access to a multimeter, then you can try substituting the relay / sensor for a known good one and see if your fan works.

On the S2, the sensor supplies a signal to the ECU, and the ECU tells the fan relay to come on.

Hope that helps.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2012, 10:23:40 pm »
My fan comes on at 100 degrees. Had my temp up to 110 last summer with the fan running but as soon as I moved off the temp went down again. As AdieR has posted this could be a sensor or fan fault

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2012, 10:54:31 pm »
I just put a switch across the terminals on the radiator and turn it on manually in traffic.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Water temperature light
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 07:14:53 pm »
That's a good idea!
59 going on 57