Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:22 pm

Author Topic: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1  (Read 38595 times)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2019, 07:36:17 am »
As you say at the end of the video, "Looking good"!!!  :thumbup :woot
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2019, 09:48:28 pm »
that is soooooooooo good mate :)

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2019, 05:04:58 pm »
Speaking of shipping... have you done the sums already? How much do you reckon one of these would cost, shipped to Hong Kong or Singapore?

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
I'd imagine cost of shipping would be dependant on size and weight - whilst not overly weighty, the overall cost at the moment is still 'in flux'. Mainly now as the software / hardware design is largely complete and the TFT Dash works as expected, I'm now toying with different ways to package this up. Either I provide a DIY kit for you guys, which include the primary parts - so basically a box with all the electronics which you plug into your bike (a smallish box), and then you mount the screen to your existing mount with provided brackets, and then find a suitable place for the main box with electronics which I call the 'Bike interface'. Other option is I package this up in a complete unit with everything in one - much like your existing yamaha clocks. Only issue I'm finding with this is that whilst I have a perfectly designed enclosure which will house everything nicely, it's proving a challenge to get these things injection moulded for a reasonable price that won't affect the price of the TFT Dash. Recent injection moulding quotes I've been provided have way exceeded the cost of making one of these, so I'm looking alternate options. The other side of this is that I'm a slight perfectionist and I wouldn't want to ship a product to you guys that I wasn't completely happy with. Currently my prototype uses a 3D printed enclosure which houses the electronics, and an off the shelf 7 inch display which I've modified to be water resistant. Given the cost of injection moulding, I've taken a slightly different approach and am refining my electronics design to be physically smaller so I can ship the electronics in a much smaller unit than I currently have as a prototype. At least you can then decide how you want to mount it. More updates to follow!

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 August 2019, 05:38:14 pm »
My 2c for whatever it's worth

The user experience would be quite different between the all-in-one-box vs the display and electronics being mounted separately.

I would imagine most would have a strong preference, for either the sleek dash OR the lower hassle of an all-in-one module.

Personally I'm in the latter camp, but perhaps it's worth doing a straw poll to see which way the wind is blowing, before you devote your time & energy to a particular solution...?

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 August 2019, 08:17:08 am »
Completely agree - I've imagined this always being a single unit whereby you just unplug your old unit, plug in the new unit - mount on the bracket and you're ready to go. Good news is one of the fabrication houses I've been looking at finally came through with a sample of the complete enclosure design. Will post pictures soon once I've got all the electronics mounted inside, but it's looking great. So the all in one solution is looking much more promising. Once I've got all the electronics mounted I'll be refining the design of the enclosure just to remove any additional size that I don't need and get this as compact as possible, then I'll send off for a batch of a few of them and get ready to ship.

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 August 2019, 09:45:59 am »
I'm definitely interested in this. However, the bezel on the LCD unit is huge and I have my reservations about putting it on the bike tbh

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 August 2019, 04:51:26 pm »
Yeah the Bezel on that display on my prototype is massive. This was using an off the shelf display. The units I will ship will have a much smaller bezel (as close to edge to edge as possible), and the unit will be much more compact (and aesthetically pleasing ;) It's taken a while to find someone who can manufacture the enclosures for a decent enough price.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 August 2019, 05:32:56 pm »
your obviously putting a lot of thought into this as well as expertise. nicely done feller

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 August 2019, 06:15:54 pm »
Absolutely brilliant this , I'll be getting g one
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 August 2019, 10:04:02 pm »
Any idea on prices yet?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 August 2019, 10:08:32 pm »
Very impressive, would like one of those myself.
You should post your prototype on the US FZ1OA website - they'll probly go into a frenzy over the prospect of adding modern techno-gadgetry on the old bus  :lol

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 September 2019, 09:06:33 pm »
Yeah will put this up on the FZ1OA forums. Bit more of an update (with pictures) - Assembled the first all in one unit and got this mounted to the bike. Fits and mounts nicely, this unit is chunky and bezels are large - I've got a compact enclosure on the way - quite a bit thinner and much thinner bezel around the display. First 2 pics is essentially what I'll be shipping (albeit smaller). Literally just unbolt your old clocks (take a note of your odo before doing so), bolt in TFT Unit, plug in the connector and switch ignition on, and you'll be prompted to enter odometer reading which will be permanently saved. There will be an antireflective coating on top of the display which is sealed to the outer casing, so in a rain storm water will just run off - to prevent the unit suffering from condensation from the inside there will be covered breather holes on the back (much like original clocks). PCB's on the inside are also covered with a waterproof coating as a last line of defence against bad weather. As for price after totally up costs of making one unit, I'll initially be pricing these at £249.

After installing the only 2 things you'll have to mount are the control buttons (I've installed mine on the clutch side just underneath the switchgear which is a nice place and doesn't obstruct anything). Other other item to mount is the external temperature sensor. I'd just recommend mounting this not too close to the engine and away from direct wind blast so you'll get an accurate reading of ambient temperature :)

Will keep you posted!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 September 2019, 06:56:15 am »
I've got to say how hugely impressed I am by the way you've engineered this through to a finished, plug 'n' play solution.  Outstanding job!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 September 2019, 03:53:08 pm »
That's a great price too! Especially when you compare to the likes of Koso etc shame it's no good for a gen 2 haha

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 September 2019, 09:29:38 am »
Many thanks! As for the Gen 2 it probably wouldn't be too much work to have a version that works on the Gen 2. Going forward I'm thinking of a 'Universal' version which could potentially work for any bike, wouldn't be quite plug and play but if you know the pinout for your existing clocks and are happy connecting a few wires then might be an option. Also thinking of a 5 inch version for those who prefer a slightly smaller screen. Now just waiting for the smaller enclosures to arrive and I can start assembling the compact units which I will ship. Will keep you posted!

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 September 2019, 01:44:39 pm »
Absolutely amazing job mate.
£249, count me in for one please  :D

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 September 2019, 07:37:01 pm »
So had the first 'compact' enclosure arrive today! It's amazing how just one part can just hold everything up. This enclosure looks seriously compact and I'm really hoping I can squeeze all the parts in - on paper - doing the math everything looked like it would fit nicely. So now to assemble the first batch of units I will send out. There is one last issue (as I'm a perfectionist) I would like solve - currently when hitting the starter on the bike it causes the dash to do a reboot - sure it's only 7-8 seconds to come back up but I'd rather it didn't do this so I'm looking at ways for this to not happen. More of an annoyance than anything else but I can't really have this happening. At the moment I have 3 solutions in mind and will implement the one that works best and will include this in the first batch I send out. Stay tuned!

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 September 2019, 09:02:18 am »
Another update: First unit I will dispatch is nearly assembled - awaiting a couple of more parts (mainly TFT display driver board). Have also been working on the website so you'll be able to place your orders. At the same time I've been running my prototype on my Fazer during this time to give it a good test in the wild. Now the weather is getting cooler in the mornings and the bike ends up being covered in condensation in the mornings it will be good to see how the TFT Dash holds up. The enclosure is water resistant, and the PCBs have been coated with waterproof coating. Haven't had any overnight downpours yet but I'm leaving my bike uncovered each night just in case lol.

Interestingly my Fazer is going in for its MOT today so will be interesting to see if it passes with the TFT Dash installed. Can't see any reason why not...

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 September 2019, 11:10:45 am »
Good luck mate, with the screen and the MOT  :thumbup

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2019, 12:30:21 pm »
I'll have one, what you've done so far is brilliant, will definitely look better than the original clocks on my streetfighter gen1
If it aint broke, make it better

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2019, 01:52:52 pm »
Wow those old clocks certainly do stick out! lol! Love the streetfighter'd gen1! Tempting to do the same to mine!

Good news is it passed the MOT! The TFT Dash was certainly a topic of conversation - I think it was even suggested the screen could be used to watch movies when parked up lol! Although MOT revealed my steering head bearings will need doing at some point - a job for another day I think!

On my prototype enclosure I'm using (the big one) I've fitted an anti-reflective coating which is sealed to the enclosure - good news is as it's a sunny day today the coating proved to work really well - could see the screen clearly in direct sunlight. The coating also acts as a water barrier in a rain storm. Now just need it to rain lol (it's the UK I know I won't be waiting long)...

Will most likely complete the next unit I'm putting together later on and will post up some pics.

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2019, 06:52:20 pm »
"currently when hitting the starter on the bike it causes the dash to do a reboot"

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy A8 as a satnav powered from a USB port charger connected to the battery and strangely, the phone will do the same reboot when I press the starter button. If I connect the usb cable after the bike starts, then no problem.

Annoying !

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 September 2019, 06:54:06 pm »
UPDATE: This week has mainly been road testing week with the TFT Dash mounted to my bike. Had a couple of rainy days this week and the TFT Dash held up just fine - no sign of water issues. Another thing I want to nail down is the MPG and Range display. This is one I'd like to get really accurate and the only way to test this properly is to ride the bike from full tank to empty several times and see if the TFT Dash displays accurate info. It's a kind of tricky one as the Fazers fuel float potentiometer has a couple black spots where I can't get any useful reading so I'm only able to perform calculations on the useful range. Basically what happens is that the TFT Dash waits for 1 litre of fuel to be consumed, and then looks at the number of miles you've done in 1 litre - from there it can work out MPG and Range.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 September 2019, 07:28:23 pm »
Here's a shot of the TFT Dash with the bike parked up on a rainy day