Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:44 pm

Author Topic: Lighting problem / Electrics expert required!  (Read 5850 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Lighting problem / Electrics expert required!
« Reply #50 on: 11 July 2019, 12:09:14 am »
A problem on the blue wire doesn't explain the horn and brake light not working or maybe I read your first post wrong. Do they already work?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #51 on: 11 July 2019, 08:31:55 am »

Del: One of my most favouritist meals is Duck à l’Orange, but I don’t know how to say that in French.
Rodney: It’s canard.
Del: You can say that again bruv!.

This is one of my favourite Only Fools scenes ever.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 July 2019, 08:52:03 am »
A problem on the blue wire doesn't explain the horn and brake light not working or maybe I read your first post wrong. Do they already work?
Maybe there is more than one issue? :eek :D

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 July 2019, 11:13:44 am »
Ok, so I put power to the blue wire and.....

EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN!!Horn, tail light, brake light, headlight, full beam it all works fine.
I have already ordered a used complete switch off ebay as I know if I take it to pieces I will lose at least 2 springs/small parts.
I will report back on when the switch arrives and is fitted but I am confident that the combined power of the forum has indeed solved this problem... and yes Unfazer, you did call it right on your very first post!  :lol

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 July 2019, 11:21:06 am »
Just glad it looks like you've sorted it mate.

I also love reading the wisdom that gets written by those in the know on this forum.
It's good to know we are in safe hands  :D
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 July 2019, 06:37:22 pm »
Den den den!!!! :lol There must be a problem that's stopping the 12V feed in the right handlebar switches. The signalling circuit is the 12V feed into the switches that's why I was suggesting it. When he put 12V on the blue wire it must have gone back through the light switch and powered the horn and the brake lights. I bet if he put 12V on the blue wire and turned the light switch off the horn would stop working :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 July 2019, 06:42:16 pm »
Just glad it looks like you've sorted it mate.

I also love reading the wisdom that gets written by those in the know on this forum.
It's good to know we are in safe hands  :D
That's why I read the workshop forum. It helps the guy sort his problem and if he reports back when he finds the solution everyone learns from it.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 July 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
Den den den!!!! :lol There must be a problem that's stopping the 12V feed in the right handlebar switches. The signalling circuit is the 12V feed into the switches that's why I was suggesting it. When he put 12V on the blue wire it must have gone back through the light switch and powered the horn and the brake lights. I bet if he put 12V on the blue wire and turned the light switch off the horn would stop working :lol
Oh god, dont say that! I am hopeful that when i change the right hand switchgear that everything will go back to normal in my little comuter world!I love my Fazer, it is such a giggle, the poor GSXR1000 hardly gets ridden these days !
« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 07:29:39 pm by StuartGSXR »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 July 2019, 07:32:33 pm »
It most likely will sort it. When you put the new switches on you'll have to open up the old ones and show us the problem!

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 July 2019, 07:34:42 pm »
It most likely will sort it. When you put the new switches on you'll have to open up the old ones and show us the problem!
its the least I can do for all the help that I have got.
Also, I am not one of these people that will only log on and post when I have a problem, now I have found the forum I will be a regular contributor :D

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 12 July 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
So...the replacement light switch was waiting for me when I got home from work. I rushed out, took the old one off, fitted the new one, plugged it in and.....
Nothing. exactly the same problem as before. No headlight, full beam, tail light, brake light or horn. Again by putting 12v to the blue wire on the 5 pin ignition I get everything working, although His Dudeness is correct in that the horn only then works with the dipped beam on, turn the lights off and no horn.
So I am almost back to square one just with an extra light switch now! Next move?
Thanks in advance

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 12 July 2019, 08:11:34 pm »
Dang it! Try putting a wire from the positive of the battery to the brown wire in the connector going to the right handlebar switches. Leave the connector connected together. Tturn the ignition on. Does everything work now?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: 12 July 2019, 08:25:11 pm »
I dont have time to trawl through the wiring diagram again now but......

The switchgear has a common feed. Cant remember the colour but try checking to see if you have 12v on that and work back to the battery/ignition switch from there if it doesnt.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 12 July 2019, 08:32:22 pm »
Dang it! Try putting a wire from the positive of the battery to the brown wire in the connector going to the right handlebar switches. Leave the connector connected together. Tturn the ignition on. Does everything work now?
Yes sir you are correct. So I could run a new wire from the signalling fuse and join on to the brown in the switch loom to by pass the bad connection?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12 July 2019, 08:48:06 pm »
Yes sir you are correct. So I could run a new wire from the signalling fuse and join on to the brown in the switch loom to by pass the bad connection?
Yeah you could do that as long as power is getting to the signaling fuse. It'd better job to find the break and repair it but you could run a new wire if you want.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12 July 2019, 08:55:26 pm »
Ok, so basically that wire goes from the signalling fuse to the switch (but maybe not directly?) just wondering how much wire and from where and to the break could be hiding in! It’s days are numbered now clearly  :lol
As the wire was tight in the blue block, I stripped a bit off the one I took off so I could get a decent connection on it seeing as it’s kind of a spare so wouldn’t be an issue to put a decent extra connection in if needs be , as long as it’s safe to do so. Don’t wanna set fire to my nuts !
Thanks again for the help.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12 July 2019, 10:12:12 pm »
I don't know the exact route that the brown wire takes because I'm just going by the diagram and the diagram only shows the connections that are made in the circuit not the physical layout of the harness. You could try giving the brown wire a pull and it might break where the problem is and pull out of the harness. Then lay it over the harness and that would show where you need to fix it. That's just an idea though, there might be a better way to do it. Maybe wait for a second opinion on the best way to fix the wire before you do anything!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13 July 2019, 01:03:24 am »
You jumped the gun buying the switch until we were finished diagnosing. Removing the switch and checking it was always what should be done before buying anything, however I thought you you said in a previous post that you had power from the fuse.
The good news is that I need a right side switch for a Fazer with a broken kill switch (he dropped a piece of wood on it and broke the red part that you press on the switch) and will happily take it off your hands. PM me with the cost

Had to run a wire on a bandit yesterday with a similar issue to supply the light power, would have preferred to find the break but he was going on holidays for 2 weeks and will have to wait until he returns.

As the brown runs backwards and forwards on the loom the problem is probably close to the fuse. You could try lifting the fuse holder and checking it or see if the wire pulls off the back of the fuse holder. You should be able to see it and/or get at it from the right side. Running a wire should be a temporary option as finding the issue is the safest option.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 13 July 2019, 09:10:19 am »
You jumped the gun buying the switch until we were finished diagnosing. Removing the switch and checking it was always what should be done before buying anything, however I thought you you said in a previous post that you had power from the fuse.
The good news is that I need a right side switch for a Fazer with a broken kill switch (he dropped a piece of wood on it and broke the red part that you press on the switch) and will happily take it off your hands. PM me with the cost

Had to run a wire on a bandit yesterday with a similar issue to supply the light power, would have preferred to find the break but he was going on holidays for 2 weeks and will have to wait until he returns.

As the brown runs backwards and forwards on the loom the problem is probably close to the fuse. You could try lifting the fuse holder and checking it or see if the wire pulls off the back of the fuse holder. You should be able to see it and/or get at it from the right side. Running a wire should be a temporary option as finding the issue is the safest option.
I ran a wire from the Signalling fuse to the brown in the block that joins to the lighting connector as a temp measure and everything works. :D I may well look into finding the fault in the loom but for now its just nice to have everything working again.
PM me your address details and you can have the other switch for free as a thanks for all the help you have been on this.

« Last Edit: 13 July 2019, 09:12:51 am by StuartGSXR »

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02 August 2019, 09:52:28 pm »
Just a tail of woe that I encountered on a mates Triumph Tiger last month.
Had an MOT, & riding home lost lights horn everything, but kept running.

I checked through the system & found it must be ignition switch. Removed screen, top faring, headlights,+++
So after removing switch, out of interest I stripped the wires back. (nothing to loose) wires were apprx 14" long, as went into frt faring to junction box.

Two broken wires inside the sheathing, but touched as you turned the bars, so MOT worked at that particular time.
I repaired the wires, re-soldered, refitted. All good.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 August 2019, 11:31:42 pm »
Just a tail of woe that I encountered on a mates Triumph Tiger last month.
Had an MOT, & riding home lost lights horn everything, but kept running.

I checked through the system & found it must be ignition switch. Removed screen, top faring, headlights,+++
So after removing switch, out of interest I stripped the wires back. (nothing to loose) wires were apprx 14" long, as went into frt faring to junction box.

Two broken wires inside the sheathing, but touched as you turned the bars, so MOT worked at that particular time.
I repaired the wires, re-soldered, refitted. All good.

Please - it's actually against Forum rules to declare faults on any Tiger  :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 03 August 2019, 11:01:48 am »
Ha Ha.
Yes I do agree, but this was an old one,(2001) so more like a cub!!!

Look at avatar, Main bike , Triumph Tiger. Its the 1050 Sport.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 03 August 2019, 11:48:54 pm »
Ha Ha.
Yes I do agree, but this was an old one,(2001) so more like a cub!!!

Look at avatar, Main bike , Triumph Tiger. Its the 1050 Sport.

2001  :eek  oh a newish one then. Got a 1997 Steamer with good old carbs - love it. Have a chance to fit a 1200 4 from a Trophy........150bhp would be fun lol.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 August 2019, 11:34:08 am »
Then you need to get yourself on my 2016 Tiger Sport.
? Did I tell you its got cruise control???