Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:16 am

Author Topic: Broken speedo drive and worn wheel bearings  (Read 822 times)

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Broken speedo drive and worn wheel bearings
« on: 26 November 2018, 07:17:55 pm »
Evening all,

For the past couple of weeks I've had an intermittent squeak from the front of my 2003 FZS600, I thought it was just the calipers binding again as they've not had a proper strip down in my ownership. It got bad enough this morning that I could hear it when riding along at low-ish speeds, rather than just when in traffic as previously, then around ~40 on the way home this evening.

Took the front pads off tonight... still something rubbing on the wheel.

Took the wheel off... the lugs on the inner sleeve of the speedo drive were broken off and the whole thing was rather dry and smelling a bit burnt. I don't think it was lined up properly when I had the tyre replaced a few weeks ago, so the lugs broke off, but jammed in place so as to keep it turning, and put sufficient force on it to cook the grease away.

Yay.

Also both front wheel bearings have got a bit of a notch in them despite looking new, unsure if the sideways load from the wedged speedo drive could've caused that, or just normal wear.

Does anyone have the numbers for the right hand front wheel bearing and seal (couldn't read that side)? I'm going to drop by a bearing shop tomorrow to see if they can get me a replacement set.

I'm going to see if I can get the broken bits pegged back on, but failing that, does anyone happen to have a speedo drive assembly (or even just the inner sleeve) lying around?

Thanks

EDIT: Took a picture of the thing

« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 07:25:16 pm by MFD »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Broken speedo drive and worn wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2018, 07:40:28 pm »
Have a look in the download section. There's a parts catalogue that will tell you the part numbers for the bearings, seals and speedo drive http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2018, 08:33:11 pm »
The speedo drive is quite cheap new, and is now plastic rather than the original ceramic, so doesn't break so easily. Sounds like yours didn't have enough grease. It needs loads and loads of grease on reassembly.

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2018, 02:50:08 pm »
Thanks for the link to the parts manual, very useful!

Picked up some bearings today, seals and new rotor should be arriving at a dealer tomorrow. Then just to see if the tyre fitter will foot the bill...