Date: 24-04-24  Time: 08:23 am

Author Topic: Possible new clutch?  (Read 2396 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Possible new clutch?
« on: 02 April 2012, 01:31:47 pm »
Hi all, had a nice ride out yesterday but noticed my bite point was near enough at the end of travel when letting it out. i adjusted on the engine side and then the cable but hasn't helped much.
I did notice the plain plates are rather close but unsure what the gap should be.

also when you depress the clutch lever (with engine off) and look through the oil fill hole the 1st set of plain plates and friction plates separate from the others.. is this correct? any other foccers able to check theres and let me know if theirs does the same?

the clutch does not feel as though it slips but i am worried because i am doing a tour of Ireland in May so i want it right before i go.

Many thanks,
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Possible new clutch?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
you probably just need a new cable and the plates seperating the way you described is normal

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2012, 06:06:53 pm »
New cable, it strenches over time

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2012, 06:17:06 pm »
Cheers gents, new cable on order. £9.95 from wemoto
I was fearing the worst because the previous owner was female and we know how they ride the clutch lol.

I assume i have to take the sprocket cover off? does this have a gasket?
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2012, 06:31:55 pm »
Cheers gents, new cable on order. £9.95 from wemoto
I was fearing the worst because the previous owner was female and we know how they ride the clutch lol.

I assume i have to take the sprocket cover off? does this have a gasket?

Yeah you will have to and yes it does have a gasket, tbh i can't see any use for it other than stopping chain oil for leaking out. I never replaced mine and its been fine  :evil

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2012, 07:10:03 pm »
Well nowhere seems to stock just the sprocket gasket.
Can i assume its the one at the top of the picture on the whole set?
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/gasket_set_-_full_-_athena_italy/

may just use a bit of thick grease to stop the 2 surfaces corroding together.
Lord,
Amen

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2012, 07:39:52 pm »
Just buy a tube of 'Instant Gasket' from Halfords or somewhere similar- Loctite do a version.
I've used it before when I had to change the clutch cable, and even the garage who replaced my front sprocket used it rather than a proper gasket even though they were an official yamaha part supplier!

#Driven by the irony that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free.#

janner_10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2012, 05:36:50 pm »
I wouldn't bother - taken that cover off every month to clean behind for the last year - never bothered with a gasket.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
you probably just need a new cable and the plates seperating the way you described is normal

:agree

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2012, 08:26:38 pm »
New cable fitted. Does feel better. not had the chance to go out for a proper ride but the bite point is more progressive when rolling back and forwad in the garage lol.
Try and get some time on it tomorrow and report back.
Lord,
Amen

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2012, 02:56:46 pm »
It does feel better but the bite point is still near the end of the travel. Anyone else able to comment where the bite point is on theirs?
Lord,
Amen

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
It does feel better but the bite point is still near the end of the travel. Anyone else able to comment where the bite point is on theirs?

I feel mine is quite near the end of my 99 FZS600, but then my mates FZS600 is the same? I did think about trying a new cable, not ordered it yet though.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2012, 04:27:37 pm »
you might have it adjusted a bit too tight. try loosening it off a bit at the lever and it will bite sooner

edc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2012, 08:51:56 pm »
My 2001 600S has a fairly late bite point too - I'd say the last 20-25% of play.  Cable is adjusted correctly.  It's always been this way.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
just because you have the right free play gap at the lever doesnt mean its adjusted correctly