Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:45 am

Author Topic: Odometer pinouts  (Read 9799 times)

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Odometer pinouts
« on: 20 March 2012, 10:16:45 pm »
Hello,

Do you maybe know pinouts of Fzs 600 '00 odometer pinouts? I am planning to connect some DIY electronics to it - I need to read RPMs, speed and neutral. I need to count cycles from front wheel and from ingintion, but don't know which cables do what :).

Thanks!

mike26

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Odometer pinouts
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2012, 12:05:20 am »
for rpm just wrap some wire around the spark plug ht lead, 4 coils should do then set your equipment to measure the rpms trial and error comparing to the rpm displayed on speedo may be easiest HOWEVER ONCE YOU HAVE GOT IT WORKING DONT CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF COILS AROUND THE HT LEAD AS THIS WILL CHANGE THE EQUATION SINCE THE ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD IS CUTTING THROUGH MORE WIRES INDUCING A LARGER CURRENT...

As for speedo it depends on your circuit are you using a microcomputer or just adapting a pushbike speedo
if using a microcomputer (coded in hex) calculate the distance for 1 meter, convert to miles and then take the number of turns taken and.. i hope you get the idea
as for neutral light just tap off the existing one

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2012, 07:32:20 am »
What are you trying to make for it? Sounds like a gear position indicator to me, I did the pickup und for mine by adding extra contacts to a spare neutral light switch, cost £5 off ebay, not yet done the display but the switch shows good on a multimeter and more accurate than a rpm/speed comparison.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2012, 08:16:00 am »
for rpm just wrap some wire around the spark plug ht lead, 4 coils should do then set your equipment to measure the rpms trial and error comparing to the rpm displayed on speedo may be easiest HOWEVER ONCE YOU HAVE GOT IT WORKING DONT CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF COILS AROUND THE HT LEAD AS THIS WILL CHANGE THE EQUATION SINCE THE ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD IS CUTTING THROUGH MORE WIRES INDUCING A LARGER CURRENT...

As for speedo it depends on your circuit are you using a microcomputer or just adapting a pushbike speedo
if using a microcomputer (coded in hex) calculate the distance for 1 meter, convert to miles and then take the number of turns taken and.. i hope you get the idea
as for neutral light just tap off the existing one

Hello,

I am using microcontroller (Arduino Uno). I was thinking about wrapping a coil around also, it is easier way, but where to get speed? I think it gives pulses from front wheel, but where to tap to count them?

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2012, 08:17:22 am »
What are you trying to make for it? Sounds like a gear position indicator to me, I did the pickup und for mine by adding extra contacts to a spare neutral light switch, cost £5 off ebay, not yet done the display but the switch shows good on a multimeter and more accurate than a rpm/speed comparison.

To be honest - just fooling around. Planning to do meters of rpms, speed, voltage, temperature (coolant and environment), gear indicator and so on.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2012, 08:37:22 am »
According to the wiring diagram it's the pin the white wire goes to. Easy enough to verify by hooking a 'scope to... something you'll probably need to do anyway to determine the nature of the signal.

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2012, 08:43:32 am »
OK. I was planning to buy scope anyway so it is time ;). Thanks!

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2012, 09:10:45 pm »
Blimey, so scientists ride motorbikes then?

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2012, 10:19:51 pm »
Geeks more than scientists hehe

mike26

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2012, 10:50:12 pm »
Electrical and Electronic engineers  ;)
and looking at your board its more a case of writing the assembly code,
the speedo drive goes into a 3 wire connector im not too sure ec what each wire is.
RED-          (POSSIBLY 5V?)
WHITE-      (POSSIBLY GROUND)
BLACK-      (POSSIBLY NEUTRAL)
either way it should give a digital output (square wave) for each rotation it sends a voltage which would register as a one, all basic stuff really.

Alternatively get a fzr (cable drive speedo pickup) fit it to your fzs then just buy a cheap analogue gauge (£30 on ebay i think) then simply just make a circuit for the rev counter ....

infact i had an idea for a new dash setup here it is sorry for babbling on about it.....

FZR cable speedo drive pickup         http://i.ebayimg.com/t/90-Yamaha-FZR600-FZR-600-Speedo-drive-Cable-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqNHJCUE9!M2DEVNBPT+!pWus!~~60_57.JPG

Universal speedometer clocks    http://www.bajadesigns.com/images/items/Large/370002.jpg

5 green leds   (represents 1k -5k)       http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/40-91-large/5mm-green-diffused-led-s-pack-of-10.jpg

4 yellow leds   [size=78%](represents 6k -10k)          [/size]https://www.egr.msu.edu/eceshop/Parts_Inventory/images/5mm%20yellow%20led.jpg[size=78%]

3 red leds        [/size][size=78%](represents 11k -13k)       [/size][/color]http://www.basicmicro.com/assets/images/b0058_red_led.jpg[size=78%]

some skills in DIYpatients wire    ://egscontrols.com/thhn_wire_1.jpgsoldering kit (possibly?)   http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/57891.jpg5 blue leds            (fuel gauge)    http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/346754/large/T3560583-Blue_LED-SPL.jpghere goes...basically make a small op amp circuit to amplifier ---------------- THIS IS PART A wrap wire around the ht lead, possibly 4 coils and secure with tape -----------------this is part Buse part a as an input to part b------------this amplifies the signal into a usable range tap of resistor of different values (you will have to determine this) set the resistors so that when the output voltage from the amplifier turns on a led as you increase rpm therefor voltage or current something like that more leds will light up 

the same principle applys for the fuel gauge using the original fuel sensor as the voltage input

then as for the speedo just replace stock fzs drive with the fzr cable drive and then screw into the analogue cable speedo

not sure what links im allowed to post but oh well..

lots of errors above very sorry, i need sleep..

[/size]
« Last Edit: 21 March 2012, 10:52:10 pm by mike26 »

alchemyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2012, 08:48:51 am »
I want to ask if I understand it correctly - you mean to replace pulse sensor in front wheel with old-school-wire one? :)

I would rather try to tap into signal fron digital front wheel, because if it is square wave and nothing more complicated (it doesn't seem to, it is only a wheel with ferromagnetic) I can use interrupt input on arduino to count cycles.

Thanks!

mike26

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2012, 09:45:41 am »
yeah i ment that lol and your personal choice
 i suppose you could make a lap timer and an odometer using the micro computer